Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Light (Multi-Use)

This is a very far shot in the dark.  Is there a way to make a token emit light in both  directional and 360 radius? I know Torch allows for some very clever editing of emitted light but I don't think its capable of doing that.  Basically, if a player has a flashlight, the light shouldn't only be in one direction but also have a little bit of light surrounding the token. I know this cannot be done without an API so I'm reaching out to the community to see if someone has an idea to pitch in. 
Not with a single token, but you could use something like TokenCondition to add another token that follows the first one with different light settings.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I call that idea a Key-Hole Light.  I've always intended on writing a successor to Torch that would provide some facilities for that, but as Jarren points out, using TokenCondition to add a Halo Light to a token would be a good way to handle that.  It's a little tedious as you'd need to do it on each page, but let me know how it feels and I can probably write up a simple script that will add a little Halo follower to all player controlled tokens that emit light.  That would be pretty quick... 
The Aaron said: I call that idea a Key-Hole Light.  I've always intended on writing a successor to Torch that would provide some facilities for that, but as Jarren points out, using TokenCondition to add a Halo Light to a token would be a good way to handle that.  It's a little tedious as you'd need to do it on each page, but let me know how it feels and I can probably write up a simple script that will add a little Halo follower to all player controlled tokens that emit light.  That would be pretty quick...  Brilliant idea. I'll give that a shot in a bit here and give you some feedback. Appreciate the swift responses both of you. 

Edited 1674767513
The Aaron said: I call that idea a Key-Hole Light.  I've always intended on writing a successor to Torch that would provide some facilities for that, but as Jarren points out, using TokenCondition to add a Halo Light to a token would be a good way to handle that.  It's a little tedious as you'd need to do it on each page, but let me know how it feels and I can probably write up a simple script that will add a little Halo follower to all player controlled tokens that emit light.  That would be pretty quick...  Ok so I've just plugged in a random token here. TokenCondition works just fine. The Blue Arrow shows the 10ft of dim light I was looking for while the player token has the direction bright/dim light via the Red Arrow. My next question is 2 part: 1. Can the TokenCondition not  show its name after assigned? 2. The TokenCondition auto populates on top of the player token, but can that be changed? (if not its fine I just have to Move To Back by right clicking on it so not a huge deal). Edit: 3rd question: can the TokenCondition be made smaller by chance? Follow up: found a way to make the name not show. Easy fix.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I believe if you name it "Mount:" instead of "Condition:" it goes to the back. You could also use an Invisible Token .
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There are some options in TokenConditon for forcing it to be behind the token, and also giving it a size, I don't recall them offhand, but if you look in the help handout, it should be straight forward. 
Also double check that the name is not being added automatically by any third-party browser extensions you are using for Roll20.
Excellent. Thank you all. I will try this out and be back in a few with some results.
Mount option worked like a charm. I just used a near invisible light for the image and it shoots it right behind the token. I went into the token and remove/unchecked the name which also works great.  Now, the next part.  Say the player wants to Toggle their flashlight (the cone) and  the TokenCondition dim light. Is there a way to function that?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There isn't a way to do that automatically with TokenCondition/TokenMod.  I'm tinkering with a script that would basically add the equivalent follower light to any token with a restricted light source.  My intent would be to have it automatically add them for restricted lights and remove them for unrestricted lights.  I was thinking of basing the keyhole light on the size of the restricted light (60ft bright might yield a 6ft dim keyhole light, for example).  Do you want to provide some guidance around how you would want that to work? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Maybe the "spotlight" token should follow on the DL layer? That would reduce the chance of accidentally selecting it, and possibly enable the user to specify a custom token image, since it would never display during play. It would also make it easy to select and delete, something that can be difficult in some instances of TokenCondition.
The Aaron said: There isn't a way to do that automatically with TokenCondition/TokenMod.  I'm tinkering with a script that would basically add the equivalent follower light to any token with a restricted light source.  My intent would be to have it automatically add them for restricted lights and remove them for unrestricted lights.  I was thinking of basing the keyhole light on the size of the restricted light (60ft bright might yield a 6ft dim keyhole light, for example).  Do you want to provide some guidance around how you would want that to work?  I think Keith has a great point there. I don't have much further input other than your restricting/unrestricting. Your sizing seems right, only that most grids are in 5ft increments which like my example is just 10ft dim light surrounding the token with 50ft of cone in front (with an additional 20ft of dim beyond it).