Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

On hover AND single click map token information, world anvil style

Edited 1675302412
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
This is a similar request to map tokens linked to handouts. However, I don't think that does enough. Easily viewable and accessible information is more important, and can make a huge different in play. It would personally add to my immersion and desire to make dungeons and maps and world build dramatically. Here's what I'd hope to see. Placeable icons/tokens, perhaps on their own layer. Custom icons. (though a simple map pin to start similar to the torch tool would still be useful.) If not custom icons, include an icon for: i (information), trap, treasure, monster, eye (room/scene description), and some symbol for a skill check. Said token, once placed, would have text OR image information that would show up when you hover over it (that does not require double clicking, shift double clicking, etc.). This text could be formatted easily using existing Roll20 handout text editors. It would be a compact little window that appears just over the icon/token. If you want to link to a full handout, a SINGLE CLICK on the token would open a handout. This might have more information, or be a separate handout, from the initial short condensed pop up text/blurb that shows up when hovering. Some way to make these tokens/icons visible or not to players.&nbsp; This is what World Anvil does for their maps. You have a little icon, you can quickly hover over it for more information. Shard Tabletop also has this feature. Many video games also operate this way because it's very fast and fun as a player to interact with things. Imagine a video game where you have to shift double click on something to get information on it. Running and playing a game should be fast, simple, and intuitive.&nbsp; In my opinion this is by far the best way to quickly reference information on a map, and make GM'ing fun. You could use this to quickly reference a trap DC or information, saving throw, number needed to open a locked door, treasure, NPC knowledge, room descriptions, etc. Without the need for opening a full bulky handout, dealing with another popped up window, clicking multiple times or using shift/modifier keys, etc. Could literally be one line stating if a door is locked and the DC to open it, etc.&nbsp; You could even have marketplace content that is easily playable solo in this fashion, with hoverable room descriptions, and icons telling you what to roll when around the map. PLEASE consider, as you are working on this feature, how improved things would be if it was simple like this. THANKS! Link to the other similar (but still considerably different) request. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4664065/map-pins-linked-to-handouts/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4664065/map-pins-linked-to-handouts/?pagenum=1</a>
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .