Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Multiple Grid distance values

Edited 1676211539
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there is a setting somewhere to add and display multiple grid cell distance values (the setting you modify if you want to display ft. / meters / miles / etc...). What I would like to do is setup multiple values at a time so that when I use the ruler it would allow me so see all the values at the same time. It would be really useful for traveling on a large map of a continent. For example when you want to measure distances (in miles/kilometers) and assigning another value for "Hours" for example, so that we could have something like this : And then, using the ruler to measure some distances we would see something like this : Does anyone know of such a setting, or script somewhere, that would allow me to do just that? I've been searching for a while now, but can't seem to find anything that would resemble this.  I would be eternally grateful for any infos on such a thing. Thanks! Cordially, Tiralstrom
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There's no way to do that through the UI. Scripts done have access to the measure tool, so couldn't provide extra details on measuring. The best you could do with a script is draw a line which a script could then label with distance and travel time. I'm not aware of scripts that do that.  Another option would be to have a token that you move and it draws and labels the traveled path. Also no scripts I know of that do that.  I  have a script that will measure the distance between selected (or targeted) tokens, which could be modified to provide travel times.  Assuming you did write a script to handle this, how would you reconcile the effect terrain, weather, and mode of transport have on the time?
Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but I use a "Cone of Travel" that my players appreciate for estimating travel time on the overland map. It's an NPC token with a bunch of token actions to resize and line up the color bands with the hex grid based on mode of transport, and can further apply scaling for rough terrain and fast/slow pace. I keep the travel time tooltip vague further out on the cone for weather and whatnot, but you could easily make it more rigidly defined and include additional information such as distance. The token is just something I whipped up with the transparency adjusted, set to 'is drawing' so it doesn't snap to grid. All of the resizing actions are handled by The Aaron's TokenMod, and was just a little trial and error on the dimensions until I was satisfied with how the bands lined up for each mode of transport.