Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting made painless ?

Is there a way to make my suggestion painless and not mind numbing thru alot of technical jargon that is above me to link several "light" tokens together and create a "switch"? The player would have on/off for the switch which all would activate and go on/off and then a hidden feature for the GM that would be OFF for when things go bad ? Thanks. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm not entirely clear on what you want, but it sounds like you want Aaron's Token mod script with a macro set up for lighting changes.

Edited 1677983063
I am running a game in 1900s era. There are some houses that have electricity. With that in mind, it would be nice to tie a few tokens to a "switch" of sorts that the players could flip on and have good viewing light, and turn it off. Then I could have a hidden feature that leaves them off, or a "haywire-strobe" effect if possible. I was also considering (since I've had so many problems with the wonderful Dynamic lighting mod) maybe using the BUMP script and having a light source follow the investigators around on the GM Layer of the map. Someone could declare themselves the leader- and then everyone is in sync. If the party splits then run 2 bumps ? I installed it but have only used it 1x. Then main issue I have noticed after playing with my dummy account is if I go with 120degree sight and their positional facing they may not see each other and being impatient players- they won't stand still long enough to do a head check before moving.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Following up on Scott's token-mod recommendation, you could set up a token that players could select with the appropriate bright and dim light settings, and then use something like the following macro: !token-mod --set emits_bright_light|?{Toggle Light|On,1|Off,0} emits_low_light|?{Toggle Light} If you don't want them to actually select the light-emitting token itself (so they could, say, turn on certain lights from a distance), you could hardcode the token ids for the lights that this particular switch controls. Once your light tokens are set up, you can find the tokend_ids for each by selecting one at a time and running the following in chat /w gm @{selected|token_id} Then alter the token-mod macro above to use the --ids command. Here's an example with two hardcoded light tokens on my test map !token-mod --ids -NPnk5yJ62OhzXdPQ1fU -NPnhESuRz8K8wpwUtO2 --set emits_bright_light|?{Toggle Light|On,1|Off,0} emits_low_light|?{Toggle Light}  You'll need to make sure the players-can-ids option is enabled in the mod configuration page in order for anyone (including the gm) to use the --ids command.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Regarding the light source following them around, you might try out the Carry Tokens script (available on 1-click). It will assign one token to the other and have it follow that master token around. Has options to carry above or below, so could be used for light sources, mounts, etc. I'd recommend carry below so it won't interfere with PC token selection. Use a token with lantern artwork so it's obvious to everyone what is generating the light. If you save the light-emitting token as the default token to a "Lantern" character sheet, it will save you the trouble setting up the token's lighting on each new map. You could even have different types of lanterns available in this way (e.g. hooded vs bullseye lantern).
I DLed the script from the forums. I read right away that it was buggy and in need of adjustment. Not sure if it was fixed or not. 
I would want 2 different light scripts- one for controlling lights in a house and 1 for the players moving around being the "lantern" holder.
I already have token mod installed.
I would just need some 1 on 1 time for you to explain or have me setup so I don't forget this later on.