Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Change Grid Size

Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hi there. I'm curious if I can change the 70x70 pixel size per square, without altering how things look.  When I put a bigger token into the game, and scale it to 1x1, it becomes more clear as I zoom in, since it has more resolution to show. 512x512 token markers I have don't do that, they stay pixelated and blurry no matter how far I zoom in. I was hoping that if I changed the page DPI, I could get more definition in the token markers without messing up the page, but I can't even find a way to try it.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can change Cell Width, but I don't think it will be satisfactory...

Edited 1678291568
Gauss
Forum Champion
edit: And...ninja'd  Other than "Cell Width" (a setting in your Page Settings) you cannot change the pixels per grid. However, cell width changes will require you to make a number of other adjustments so my suggestion would be to troubleshoot the blurry image instead. 512x512  should not stay pixelated or blurry when you zoom in. It sounds like they are not resolving correctly. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
What file format are you using for your token markers?  Since I am using some transparency, I have created all of mine in the .png format.  So far, I have had no issues with blurriness.

Edited 1678295940
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I tried the cell width prior to posting, since I wanted to change the other value in that setting and seemed to be locked out. While that does seem to expand the lighting effects, the token markers were still blurry. They're very simple, so the blurring is pretty significant to notice.&nbsp; I tried it on a 4k and 1080p monitor, so that's not the issue. <a href="https://imgur.com/foTvkHi" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/foTvkHi</a> 512x512 PNG's when I'm zoomed in all the way to 250%. Not sure if this is something I can fix, or if it's just the way it all works.&nbsp;

Edited 1678296235
Gauss
Forum Champion
Are all the images created from the same source? Wondering if there is an issue with Roll20 redoing them.&nbsp; Could you post a larger screenshot? That is cropped too tight (missing context).
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I'm not sure what all this'll tell you, but here you go. <a href="https://imgur.com/hoFFs9J" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/hoFFs9J</a>

Edited 1678318128
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
By larger, Gauss likely meant "covering a larger area of the map." And ideally, it should be from the Dynamic Lighting layer. This would show light barriers, and hopefully light sources. There's a limited amount that can be done to diagnose a DL problem, but this would be the bare minmum. Otherwise, we can only make guesses. Edit: Crossed thread. :(
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: By larger, Gauss likely meant "covering a larger area of the map." And ideally, it should be from the Dynamic Lighting layer. This would show light barriers, and hopefully light sources. There's a limited amount that can be done to diagnose a DL problem, but this would be the bare minmum. Otherwise, we can only make guesses. I think you got your threads crossed.&nbsp; This one is about token marker clarity.&nbsp; :p
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Derp. Edited.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The markers I made are a bit simpler, but the clarity seems to be there when I use them in game (at least within the limitation of the amount of pixels in use).&nbsp; I used the following 2 markers to test: This is at the default grid size and zoom: This is at 250% zoom: It may just be me, but it seems like the amount of blur showing on yours just isn't in evidence here.&nbsp; Just out of curiosity, have you tried re-uploading them again?&nbsp; Maybe whatever service these run through was under a high load at the time.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Essen or Kraynic, is either of you on a 4K monitor? That might make a difference in display. I haven't splurged for one yet, so I'm curious if that comes into play.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Mine is a 1440p monitor.
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I looked at mine on a 4K and a 1080p monitor.&nbsp; There’s no appearance difference on either resolution.&nbsp; I made the markers and sell them on the marketplace, and both the personal and store Token Sets appear this way, in addition to other ones I’ve made.&nbsp; Seems like it’s just how they’re gonna render when it comes to any measure of detail. Oh well.