Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL that blocks light and not travel

Score + 12
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Howdy. The UDL stuff has been changing a lot, and I love that. But one obvious feature seems to be missing still, and I’m hopeful someone knows if it’s coming or if there’s an API that can do it in the new system. I want to make lines that will block sight, but still let a player move through it. Like a curtain they can pass through, or an illusion that has no substance. Or me making a 2’ wide gap players can get through, but can’t properly depict right now without cutting off their movement. Anyone got any intel?
+1  Sounds like a good idea. Potential way of implementation might be: You set default behavior by the Movement  slider on the page settings, and on the UDL layer you get the option to switch to the contrary for the marked section(s), lines, shapes, etc. I can see it useful for cliffs in the mountains, areas of darkness, curtains, etc.
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
It could also be in the Wall/One-Way/Transparent dropdown. The One-Way already shows they can make a line can selectively block travel/light, and the transparent shows that they can mix the travel/light settings. When they did transparent, I don't know why the other version wasn't also implemented.
This seems to be more of a creative problem. As a user and gm I utilize the dynamic lighting system to block vague area . But creating transparent tokens and editing the opacity you can easily create an illusion of an area that can be moved through.  Through walls tools you can also create the illusion of an area that is covered but if tokens are not able to move through walls the token idea works concurrently better. I suggest using both. Create your walls, lighting ect. And then allow a token to mimic the blocked light via there .img or .png
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The example I used is obviously doable without the technology. That wasn't the point. The example was just to elaborate on what type of ideas it would support, and that there is an use case that encourages immersion. There are benefits to playing digitally, I don't have to pretend things the way I'd have to in person. I can depict. And I want to be able to depict with a full expression of my idea.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Maybe you should join votes with&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11306952/walls-blocking-sight-but-not-movement-curtains-tapestry-etc" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11306952/walls-blocking-sight-but-not-movement-curtains-tapestry-etc</a>
Agreed with @Laurent -- consolidate these votes to get over the threshold.
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I went over to the other post and voted. Hopefully other people tracking this will too.