Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 ReRoll ★ May Q&A

Edited 1685485897
Bianca
Roll20 Team
Have any questions not answered during the livestream? Drop them here! This special edition will consist of a live Q&amp;A with Andrew Searles showcasing the start of our VTT redesign, with the focus on the new Toolbar and Layers System! We have more product updates and new content to share, too. VOD on YouTube:&nbsp;<a href="https://youtu.be/-Yx_dZgXNuw" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/-Yx_dZgXNuw</a>
Unfortunately, it took me about 15 minutes to get set up on Twitch so I missed the first part of it, but I saw something about creating new stuff for games. How do we go about creating, say, a new adventure for the marketplace?
That's a great question, Red Archon! You can get started here:&nbsp;<a href="https://pages.roll20.net/partners" rel="nofollow">https://pages.roll20.net/partners</a>
Any chance for The One Ring from Free League coming to Roll20?
Regarding something more general, R20 Macros... Has there ever been talks to add more system agnostic templates for Macros?&nbsp; We've only got the purple "Default" template for a while now. &amp;{template:default} The D&amp;D one looks neat but can't be used outside of a D&amp;D game.. Secondly, though maybe more related to the topic of the day, will macros look the same with the new redisgns?
Crosses fingers for news regarding Transmogrifier.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Six said: Regarding something more general, R20 Macros... Has there ever been talks to add more system agnostic templates for Macros?&nbsp; We've only got the purple "Default" template for a while now. &amp;{template:default} The D&amp;D one looks neat but can't be used outside of a D&amp;D game.. Secondly, though maybe more related to the topic of the day, will macros look the same with the new redisgns? If you can find a suggestion for that on the suggestion forum, I'd gladly upvote. The default template needs more options.
Color Paletts for Roll20 (Site and VTT) would be nice! And the ability to save / reuse them...&nbsp; will that be an option in the future? What about the Print function? When announced it was stated that it can be added by sheet devs to their sheet. However Sheets by Roll20 are closed source and it was stated, that it was implemented to ALL of them! Is there an ETA for this?
Will the Livestream videos be available on your Youtube channel soon so that those of us that were fast asleep at the time at least get a chance to watch them and see what was said?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Oenanthe said: Will the Livestream videos be available on your Youtube channel soon so that those of us that were fast asleep at the time at least get a chance to watch them and see what was said? It should be posted sometime today (I missed the first 20m myself).
Relating to the toolbar redesign, I noticed there wasn't any mention of the Page Toolbar. Are there any changes we can expect for pages, whether its planning to be redesigned as well or (hopefully) adding folders for maps?

Edited 1684874503
Bianca
Roll20 Team
Scott A. said: Any chance for The One Ring from Free League coming to Roll20? Free League is one of our partners, and we've worked together to bring several titles to the VTT. We don't have a date for an official sheet for The One Ring, but there are community sheets available. Be sure to let Free League know that you want to see The One Ring on Roll20 -- that always helps, too!
Six said: Regarding something more general, R20 Macros... Has there ever been talks to add more system agnostic templates for Macros?&nbsp; We don't have plans for that currently, and Keith is correct -- starting a Suggestion post for it will go a long way! Secondly, though maybe more related to the topic of the day, will macros look the same with the new redisgns? We're redesigning the VTT in phases. In this phase, we don't have any plans to change macros; we'll announce what's coming up in each phase to keep you informed!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Something to consider when considering Macros and the VTT. The macros cannot touch the VTT. They can do things that a player would do (change settings, move tokens, etc), but they do not depend on, nor can they affect the control interface.
ABMC said: Relating to the toolbar redesign, I noticed there wasn't any mention of the Page Toolbar. Are there any changes we can expect for pages, whether its planning to be redesigned as well or (hopefully) adding folders for maps? Hey ABMC, With the VTT redesign, we plan to at least uplift all of the UI to be consistent with our new styling. With regards to your specific question about changes, we're not sure what changes we're going to consider yet. But we can't really commit to timing on when we would get to that. We're really trying to stay flexible so we can respond to customer feedback as much as possible. Let me ask you, what are you looking for if we were to redesign the page area? You mention folders for maps. What else should we consider in that area?
TheMarkus1204 said: Color Paletts for Roll20 (Site and VTT) would be nice! And the ability to save / reuse them...&nbsp; will that be an option in the future? Hey TheMarkus1204, I'm assuming that there are colors on the VTT that you like changed. Are there some in particular that you're thinking about? As far as the ability to choose your own colors for the UI, that's not something we're thinking about right now, but I appreciate the suggestion. It's something we'll keep in mind. Also, you could suggest something like that on the Suggestion forum. Actually, you might even be able to find it already suggested. Thanks again for your feedback!

Edited 1685203371
The sudden change in VTT (Pink / Green) while having pink as the color for links, too is NOT good in regards to contrast! I am not visually impaired myself, but I do know people who are! And for those the current design in VTT, as well as the light mode for the site, is an eyesore and NOT very good to look at! That is why I made the suggestion for Color Palettes for different parts of Roll20 (Site / VTT / ...). Out of curiosity I switched back to light mode and after having a look at the site and the forums I immediately switched back for the site! In the forums, it is nothing but huge white spaces with grey text for the threads in between. You can not even make out separators! (At least there is the lighter grey / black in dark mode). As for the VTT: As long as Dark Mode does not work correctly (it still does not) and that I have to switch back to light mode and then to dark mode again only for the elements to be displayed correctly I am using light mode and as stated at the beginning, it would be nice a consideration that IF you change the color for certain elements, that you do change it for ALL elements so that this mistake (pink font for links on pink background) will NOT happen again in the future! &nbsp; Andrew Searles said: TheMarkus1204 said: Color Paletts for Roll20 (Site and VTT) would be nice! And the ability to save / reuse them...&nbsp; will that be an option in the future? Hey TheMarkus1204, I'm assuming that there are colors on the VTT that you like changed. Are there some in particular that you're thinking about? As far as the ability to choose your own colors for the UI, that's not something we're thinking about right now, but I appreciate the suggestion. It's something we'll keep in mind. Also, you could suggest something like that on the Suggestion forum. Actually, you might even be able to find it already suggested. Thanks again for your feedback!
TheMarkus1204 said: The sudden change in VTT (Pink / Green) while having pink as the color for links, too is NOT good in regards to contrast! I am not visually impared myself, but I do know people who are! And for those the current design in VTT, as well as the light mode for the site, is an eyesore and NOT very good to look at! That is why I made the suggestion for Color Paletts for different parts of Roll20 (Site / VTT / ...). Out of curiosity I switched back to light mode and after having a look at the site and the forums I immediately switched back for the site! In the forums, it is nothing but huge white spaces with grey text for the threads in between. You can not even make out separators! (At least there is the lighter grey / black in dark mode). As for the VTT: As long as Dark Mode does not work correctly (it still does not) and that I have to switch back to light mode and then to dark mode again only for the elements to be displayed correctly I am using light mode and as stated at the beginning, it would be nice a consideration that IF you change the color for certain elements, that you do change it for ALL elements so that this mistake (pink font for links on pink background) will NOT happen again in the future! &nbsp; Andrew Searles said: TheMarkus1204 said: Color Paletts for Roll20 (Site and VTT) would be nice! And the ability to save / reuse them...&nbsp; will that be an option in the future? Hey TheMarkus1204, I'm assuming that there are colors on the VTT that you like changed. Are there some in particular that you're thinking about? As far as the ability to choose your own colors for the UI, that's not something we're thinking about right now, but I appreciate the suggestion. It's something we'll keep in mind. Also, you could suggest something like that on the Suggestion forum. Actually, you might even be able to find it already suggested. Thanks again for your feedback! I for one can very rarely cope with dark mode on anything (Discord for some reason being the exception), I find that I'm having to strain my eyes to see anything on a dark screen, a bright screen in a well lit room works best for me, but everyone's eyes are different.&nbsp; I was on one site that was dark purple text on a pale blue purple background, it sounds horrible, but was really gentle on my eyes and the contrast was good for me.&nbsp; My husband, who is blue/purple colour blind struggled a bit with it.&nbsp; Colour pallets really are one of those things that are hard to find options that suit everyone.
Andrew. In addition to my comment 2 posts above: If I am DM for Cthulhu, I'd like to have dark / gloomy colors. If I am DM for any other fantasy system the colors can vary. So yes, I'd like to see some colors changed and I wish I could set those per campaign to just fit the setting! So there are 2 options: a) defining certain color paletts and let us choose from them b) let us define the color for certain Elements in VTT per Game Setting individually. Andrew Searles said: TheMarkus1204 said: Color Paletts for Roll20 (Site and VTT) would be nice! And the ability to save / reuse them...&nbsp; will that be an option in the future? Hey TheMarkus1204, I'm assuming that there are colors on the VTT that you like changed. Are there some in particular that you're thinking about? As far as the ability to choose your own colors for the UI, that's not something we're thinking about right now, but I appreciate the suggestion. It's something we'll keep in mind. Also, you could suggest something like that on the Suggestion forum. Actually, you might even be able to find it already suggested. Thanks again for your feedback!
Not liking the new lighter pink either, and any clue when the PF II Heritage drag and drop will be out, it was said to be in may sometime...... Tom
@Andrew Searls asked: "Let me ask you, what are you looking for if we were to redesign the page area?" There's an 8-year-old thread with 1124 votes presently on the Suggestions forum covering this, which I know you've read since you've replied to it: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages/?pagenum=1</a> There are literally dozens of suggestions in there, all good. My personal favorites would be: - Some way to organize the pages (folders and a favorites list that always shows, for example); folders seem to be the most-requested option - Hierarchical folders, rather than just one level (for region, city, district, dungeon-level kinds of structuring) - User-created tags (so I could tag maps for the city they're in, etc) - Ability to sort the contents of a folder quickly rather than by dragging pages (by name, tag, description, recently used, recently modified, etc) - Ability to search (by string, tags, who's on that map, etc) - Ability to move an individual player onto a separate page from the party when they aren't in-game (so next time they join they're on a different map); as far as I know you can't move a character from "the ribbon" to a specific map unless they're in-game, as it requires dragging their avatar, but once they're in you can move them between maps by dragging the thumbnail avatar between pages - While I'm on the topic, how about allowing the "party" (ribbon) to be split into two (or more) ribbons?&nbsp; No matter how annoying it is for the DM, sometimes groups split up. - Ability for the DM to view two maps (maybe by breaking one out and then opening another) - goes with above split-the-party, but also useful when the party moves to a new map and I have to cut/paste tokens between them. And let me just second @TheMarkus1204's comment about text and fill colors.&nbsp; My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and low contrast is very hard to read, please focus on usability before graphic design. In particular, pale pink on purple is incredibly hard to read.&nbsp; And I've had to read game URLs over the phone to people whose email lost the link I sent them. That's hard to do when I can't tell an 8 from a B.
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
The new roll20 styling has been meet with LOTS, if not an overwhelming majority of negative feedback in the forums. Especially the bubbly header fonts, and pink on white. It's bizarre if not somewhat offensive that roll20 is prioritizing a UI theme that most people don't like, in favor of finishing some of the queue from suggestions forums that were said to be a priority about a year ago in a blog post about tackling the top 10 suggestions. Personally, I'm here to ask if we have any update on a timeframe for 'map pins linked to handouts'. Thanks!
Daniel S. said: The new roll20 styling has been meet with LOTS, if not an overwhelming majority of negative feedback in the forums.... I'm seeing mostly negative feedback as well.&nbsp; The colors clash on first look, but I haven't run a full session yet with the changes so I'm reserving my response to the changes until that time. That said, I thought I recently read from one of the devs that the plan was to not make any of the new VTT changes forced on the user base and instead make them optional until the majority of the users agreed with the changes?&nbsp; I don't understand the purpose behind a change that comes without any notice.&nbsp; Why force changes upon users instead of making them optional? Lastly, devs telling users to add a post to the Suggestions forum always comes off as disingenuous.&nbsp; There's no objective connection between suggestions or the number of upvotes they receive and what devs choose to implement.&nbsp; Someone randomly posting an idea on any of the forums are as likely to have their idea implemented as one posted to the Suggestions forum.&nbsp; If the devs want people to take the Suggestions forum seriously, they need to actively engage on the posted suggestions and prove through data that the suggestions with the most votes are regularly implemented or closed. A good start on that would be to give every Pro/Plus user exactly one vote, instead of hundreds.&nbsp; Make it where users cannot change their vote until the suggestion they voted for is either implemented or marked as will not be implemented by the devs. -Adam
This tabletop has completely lost touch with their player base and perhaps reality. The things they are implementing make no sense and have nothing to do with any of the suggestions threads.&nbsp;
Luke B said: This tabletop has completely lost touch with their player base and perhaps reality. The things they are implementing make no sense and have nothing to do with any of the suggestions threads.&nbsp; Sometimes the loudest people are not the ones in the majority.
Roll20 Site is unbearable in Light mode as it is PINK on WHITE (not light gray, but really WHITE)... Dark Mode made it bearable. In VTT Dark Mode for me is unbearable because of it still malfunctioning AND although known, NOT FIXED until today... But given the new color combinations being forced on everyone and NOT being able to switch them... (BEST EXAMPLE: Join Link! Pale Pink on PINK background)... How on earth was THIS approved?! Sometimes I wish you had one Dev in your team that is visually impaired and can help you with your color combinations in regards to contrast and readability! Luke B said: This tabletop has completely lost touch with their player base and perhaps reality. The things they are implementing make no sense and have nothing to do with any of the suggestions threads.
FatPob
Pro
Sheet Author
What would be really useful is to be able to limit which players can see tokens. Example the hidden enemy only spotted by 1 person.&nbsp; Perhaps a unique layer that you can invite players to. Map Layer (GM) Object/Token Layer (all) GM Layer (GM) Custom Layer (GM + invited players)
TheMarkus1204 said: Roll20 Site is unbearable in Light mode as it is PINK on WHITE (not light gray, but really WHITE)... Dark Mode made it bearable. In VTT Dark Mode for me is unbearable because of it still malfunctioning AND although known, NOT FIXED until today... But given the new color combinations being forced on everyone and NOT being able to switch them... (BEST EXAMPLE: Join Link! Pale Pink on PINK background)... How on earth was THIS approved?! Sometimes I wish you had one Dev in your team that is visually impaired and can help you with your color combinations in regards to contrast and readability! Luke B said: This tabletop has completely lost touch with their player base and perhaps reality. The things they are implementing make no sense and have nothing to do with any of the suggestions threads. I always have had the impression that most internet sites are created by people with 20/20 vision, no colour blindness, and extra large monitors.
Was it not an end of May release, has it been delayed?

Edited 1685472123
Gauss
Forum Champion
Zapflod said: Was it not an end of May release, has it been delayed? There are still 1.5days in May. The Devs have some time yet before we hit "delayed".
Gauss said: Zapflod said: Was it not an end of May release, has it been delayed? There are still 1.5days in May. The Devs have some time yet before we hit "delayed". True, I jumped the DELAY gun too soon :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Even if it's a bit longer, I'd rather it was released a few days late rather than not ready.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Even if it's a bit longer, I'd rather it was released a few days late rather than not ready. Thats never happened before. ;-P
Zapflod said: Was it not an end of May release, has it been delayed? Just some last little bits of polish to wrap it up.&nbsp; Month ain't over yet!&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1685505777
Morgan B. said: Zapflod said: Was it not an end of May release, has it been delayed? Just some last little bits of polish to wrap it up.&nbsp; Month ain't over yet!&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm looking forward to testing it out

Edited 1685551058
I'm trying out the new screen menu for the VTT. One thing that's come up is when using the View as Player function (CNTRL+L), the pop-up listing which token is being viewed-as and the option to exit the preview are covered up by the macro bar. Fortunately, you can still exit the preview using the settings icon on the screen menu. Edit: I just noticed the "Feedback" option in the settings menu. I copied this post and screenshot and sent it through there.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
"It's alive!"

Edited 1685551879
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Rick A. said: I'm trying out the new screen menu for the VTT. One thing that's come up is when using the View as Player function (CNTRL+L), the pop-up listing which token is being viewed-as and the option to exit the preview are covered up by the macro bar. Fortunately, you can still exit the preview using the settings icon on the screen menu. I'm not getting that behavior on Mac/Chrome However, it would be nice to have that dialog moved up about 20-30 pixels. There are valid uses for the macro bar while previewing and one should not obstruct the other.
Hey Folks, As you've noticed, we released the new Toolbar Redesign. As I see, a few of you have already started finding a few things we need to fix. We're already on top of the one mentioned here and we'll be listening for others as they come in. Most importantly, we're excited to get your feedback on improvements we can make. You can do that by going to our feedback form or you can post it here or other threads. Either way, thanks for you feedback. It really helps.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have submitted about half a dozen items in the feedback form. Nothing game breaking, but definitely things that need addressing.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Big thanks again to Roll20 for making this opt-in while in development. This is a much more accessible solution than the old Dev server.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm liking it.&nbsp; Feedback submitted.
I noticed there are some features missing, e.g. the walls / see-through walls etc. And interesting enough those tools are missing even when switching back to the legacy Toolbar... Same goes for the freehand tool... Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, As you've noticed, we released the new Toolbar Redesign. As I see, a few of you have already started finding a few things we need to fix. We're already on top of the one mentioned here and we'll be listening for others as they come in. Most importantly, we're excited to get your feedback on improvements we can make. You can do that by going to our feedback form or you can post it here or other threads. Either way, thanks for you feedback. It really helps.

Edited 1685567495
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: I noticed there are some features missing, e.g. the walls / see-through walls etc. And interesting enough those tools are missing even when switching back to the legacy Toolbar... Same goes for the freehand tool... Hi TheMarkus1204, I was not able to replicate this, could you provide screenshots and reproduction steps?&nbsp; Which browser are you using?&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's possible the feature is flying under the radar, since the popup is now locked to the side of the toolbar, rather than popping up next to the selected line. I prefer this, as sometimes that popup would obscure some feature I needed to see.
Overall, I like it, particularly Preview as Player. That alone makes this worth it (and I'm pretty fond of the new layer controls also). However, the way the top-left controls interact with each other (some turning others off, some not, and not always symmetric) is very confusing (I've submitted feedback on that). Also, having three different kinds of submenus (Text and Effects at the top, Draw, Lighting, Fog or War and Ruler next to the buttons, and Dice as a movable pane with a close button) feels unnecessarily complex.&nbsp; Two I could see (a "pick one" menu and a persistant floating pane like Dice and Turn Order). Three seems unnecessary. Despite that quibble, I won't be going back. Definitely an improvement, even if it could be better. Aside: while I don't use or like dark mode UIs in general, this is a case where white controls on a black bar works very well even in "light" mode. Nice high-contrast, easy to see and distinguish controls. And, as @keithcurtis said, thanks for making this opt-in. I wouldn't want to be familiarizing myself with this on a game night or when I was prepping for one.
Hi Gauss, I am using latest Chrome. Steps to reproduce: 1. Join a campaign with legacy design,&nbsp; notice that freehand tool is by default selected as drawing tool if selected 2. Select DL Layer. Now you notice that freehand tool is no longer selectable and Polygon is now selected as default 3. Switch back from DL Layer to any other Layer and notice Freehand Tool is gone missing as it is not present in the list of tools and thus cannot be selected! It seems fixed for the redesigned toolbar... Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: I noticed there are some features missing, e.g. the walls / see-through walls etc. And interesting enough those tools are missing even when switching back to the legacy Toolbar... Same goes for the freehand tool... Hi TheMarkus1204, I was not able to replicate this, could you provide screenshots and reproduction steps?&nbsp; Which browser are you using?&nbsp;

Edited 1685618034
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: Hi Gauss, I am using latest Chrome. Steps to reproduce: 1. Join a campaign with legacy design,&nbsp; notice that freehand tool is by default selected as drawing tool if selected 2. Select DL Layer. Now you notice that freehand tool is no longer selectable and Polygon is now selected as default 3. Switch back from DL Layer to any other Layer and notice Freehand Tool is gone missing as it is not present in the list of tools and thus cannot be selected! It seems fixed for the redesigned toolbar... Yup, I know that bug. It is unrelated to the UI update as it existed before the update. It was reported a month ago I think.&nbsp;
Strange thing is I never noticed it with legacy. But oh well... if it is fixed with the new design it should be alright I guess... Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: Hi Gauss, I am using latest Chrome. Steps to reproduce: 1. Join a campaign with legacy design,&nbsp; notice that freehand tool is by default selected as drawing tool if selected 2. Select DL Layer. Now you notice that freehand tool is no longer selectable and Polygon is now selected as default 3. Switch back from DL Layer to any other Layer and notice Freehand Tool is gone missing as it is not present in the list of tools and thus cannot be selected! It seems fixed for the redesigned toolbar... Yup, I know that bug. It is unrelated to the UI update as it existed before the update. It was reported a month ago I think.&nbsp;