Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GMs Can Allow Players to Create Characters

Edited 1686257172
Carlos S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Howdy everyone! I am happy to announce the following enhancement to the VTT: GMs have the ability to allow players to create their own character sheets in a game. No more waiting for your players to join the game, so you can assign them a blank character sheet. Players can create character on their own! This option will default to OFF on existing games and default to ON for new games. In the VTT Journal, the create character and create handouts actions have moved to their own buttons Check out the help center for more information.
Well, RIP to the Welcome Package API script I always use. Great to see this properly integrated into the VTT though :) 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent! This has been a long-requested feature.
Does this new functionality store the roll20 account ID of the user that created the sheet? Or only the game-local player ID?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It does not.  Just the Player's ID for the game. 
How can a GM ensure that an invited player has access to all the appropriate player creation options? I run a d&d5e game set in Eberron, and in roll20 I've purchased all the appropriate books/modules for said campaign setting so I can have access to that setting's unique playable character races, and other such unique world features. I created the game, it is using all of those additional features, but my player only has access to the bare bones feature SRD list of options when trying to create a character in that Eberron game. Hopefully my question makes some sense. Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback y'all might have.

Edited 1686287915
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
leechmon said: How can a GM ensure that an invited player has access to all the appropriate player creation options? I run a d&d5e game set in Eberron, and in roll20 I've purchased all the appropriate books/modules for said campaign setting so I can have access to that setting's unique playable character races, and other such unique world features. I created the game, it is using all of those additional features, but my player only has access to the bare bones feature SRD list of options when trying to create a character in that Eberron game. Hopefully my question makes some sense. Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback y'all might have. Your player has the option access to whatever compendium sources you are sharing in your game. Nothing has changed here, other than giving the players a "create character" button, instead of waiting for the GM to create a blank and assign it to them.
Is there a way to turn OFF that Players can create Handouts?! In Game Settings I only found the option to enable or disable that Players can create their own characters. Players should be able to create their own characters, but NOT be able without GM Permission to create Handouts! IS there a separate toggle for this? If not, this option will be turned off for ALL my games! Carlos S. said: Howdy everyone! I am happy to announce the following enhancement to the VTT: GMs have the ability to allow players to create their own character sheets in a game. No more waiting for your players to join the game, so you can assign them a blank character sheet. Players can create character on their own! This option will default to OFF on existing games and default to ON for new games. In the VTT Journal, the create character and create handouts actions have moved to their own buttons Check out the help center for more information.
TheMarkus1204 said: Is there a way to turn OFF that Players can create Handouts?! In Game Settings I only found the option to enable or disable that Players can create their own characters. Players should be able to create their own characters, but NOT be able without GM Permission to create Handouts! IS there a separate toggle for this? If not, this option will be turned off for ALL my games! Carlos S. said: Howdy everyone! I am happy to announce the following enhancement to the VTT: GMs have the ability to allow players to create their own character sheets in a game. No more waiting for your players to join the game, so you can assign them a blank character sheet. Players can create character on their own! This option will default to OFF on existing games and default to ON for new games. In the VTT Journal, the create character and create handouts actions have moved to their own buttons Check out the help center for more information. Players don't see the Handout button. As they said above, creating characters and handouts have simply moved to their own buttons. But only GMs see the handout button.
Thanks. Figured this out by myself just a few moments ago. GOOD thing: Newly created Handouts / Characters are ON TOP and not at the bottom of the folder sections. (If you want to create a handout in a certain folder, you still have the context menu option, which is good!) BAD thing (I am unsure whether it is possible to correct that): If a player creates a new sheet, this sheet is IN ALL PLAYERS JOURNALS instead of just being visible in the journal of the player creating it. Starr Saphyre said: TheMarkus1204 said: Is there a way to turn OFF that Players can create Handouts?! In Game Settings I only found the option to enable or disable that Players can create their own characters. Players should be able to create their own characters, but NOT be able without GM Permission to create Handouts! IS there a separate toggle for this? If not, this option will be turned off for ALL my games! Carlos S. said: Howdy everyone! I am happy to announce the following enhancement to the VTT: GMs have the ability to allow players to create their own character sheets in a game. No more waiting for your players to join the game, so you can assign them a blank character sheet. Players can create character on their own! This option will default to OFF on existing games and default to ON for new games. In the VTT Journal, the create character and create handouts actions have moved to their own buttons Check out the help center for more information. Players don't see the Handout button. As they said above, creating characters and handouts have simply moved to their own buttons. But only GMs see the handout button.

Edited 1686295137
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: BAD thing (I am unsure whether it is possible to correct that): If a player creates a new sheet, this sheet is IN ALL PLAYERS JOURNALS instead of just being visible in the journal of the player creating it. I am not seeing the same thing. It is only in the journal of the player that created it in my games.  Note: if you are using "Re-join as player" to switch to Player mode, make sure the game actually made the change. Today I've had trouble switching between modes and have had to repeat attempts. 

Edited 1686295399
@aaron @themarkus Good thing about this add character button is that it always works. My experience with welcome button scripts is that these scripts often are not started when a player joins or that these are turned off due to an unexplainable crash. One thing it does NOT do is restricting players to create ONE and only ONE character. So it is perfect for a long running campaigns with personally invited players. It is not a solution for west marches/oneshot club character hubs.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: BAD thing (I am unsure whether it is possible to correct that): If a player creates a new sheet, this sheet is IN ALL PLAYERS JOURNALS instead of just being visible in the journal of the player creating it. I am not seeing the same thing. It is only in the journal of the player that created it in my games.  Note: if you are using "Re-join as player" to switch to Player mode, make sure the game actually made the change. Today I've had trouble switching between modes and have had to repeat attempts.  I also am seeing only the creating player in the journal and control permission slots.
Will the ability to configure a default token be introduced in the future? So that the Master can forget about participating in the sheet settings at all?
Gabr1el said: Will the ability to configure a default token be introduced in the future? So that the Master can forget about participating in the sheet settings at all? What do you mean by this? a) That the player can create/assign a default token for the characters - this is already possible. b) That - when uploading an avatar - the avatar is automatically set as default token. I have a mod for this, but it does not work for all use cases.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: BAD thing (I am unsure whether it is possible to correct that): If a player creates a new sheet, this sheet is IN ALL PLAYERS JOURNALS instead of just being visible in the journal of the player creating it. I am not seeing the same thing. It is only in the journal of the player that created it in my games.  Note: if you are using "Re-join as player" to switch to Player mode, make sure the game actually made the change. Today I've had trouble switching between modes and have had to repeat attempts.  I also am seeing only the creating player in the journal and control permission slots. Ditto, and I would prefer this to be configurable. I prefer having the player sheets visible in everyone's journal, myself.
Gabr1el said: Will the ability to configure a default token be introduced in the future? So that the Master can forget about participating in the sheet settings at all? Hi Gabr1el! You can read our documentation on how to set the default token, under "Linking Tokens and Art."
Great Addition! Lov the Handout button now as well
I love this change. My players frequent on the line of life and death and love to make new characters they may wish to play so having the ability to let them create their own sheets is a wonderful addition to the game. Now. If we could just get FOLDERS FOR MAPS, we'd be in a sweet spot!
I love this feature! I've just been sorting through it this past week as I set up a new campaign and it's been enormously helpful for my players. One additional feature I'd love to see is allowing the players who created the character sheet be able to move those into a sub-folder. Or create it inside the sub-folder as DMs can when they right-click the folder. This only came up when I advised my players to start thinking of their backup characters pre-session 1. Also, hard agree on folders for maps. That would be... simply divine.
No matter what I try, I can't change the token size as a player
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Bardigrade said: No matter what I try, I can't change the token size as a player This is the intentional behavior of Roll20. Only GMs can do certain things to tokens, including sizing them. A player can do it in a game that uses mod scripts, with GM permission (token mod can do this)
any one els have the problem that the players can make the sheet but not edit it?