Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Links in journals no longer open in-game; instead exits the game to open compendium link in browser

Clicking on links in journals now no longer opens a little pop-up, but exits the game and takes you to the compendium page. Can be mitigated by opening in new tab, but this is overall inconvenient. Is this a bug or a new feature? Has anyone else experienced this? Running on Chrome, and cleared cache etc. but not reverted to previous behaviour.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Saad! Some things to check. is the compendium link to a compendium you own, and that is being shared in the current game (as identified on the Settings page)? Are you set to open journals in the VTT window or as a popout? (This behavior is controlled by the in-game settings tab). You say " cleared cache etc". Have you also tested on a different browser (to eliminate Chrome issues), or in a private window (to eliminate most extension conflicts)?

Edited 1686941075
Saad
Pro
Eyup, Keith! Thanks for those prompts.  Yes to all your questions, in short. The journal behaviour was set as in-VTT windows (how I've always had it); as a sort of compromise, selecting popout does sort of solve the problem (as links in that journal entry do not force an exit from the main VTT window.. so thanks :) [edit: Although that - I've just realized, causes problems with drag and drop from compendium so it is not so ideal. But thanks!] I'm having a few other random bugs that seem to be going around, since the toolbar redesign (such as asking for log-in on character sheets), so stab in the dark I'm hoping it is somehow linked. [2nd edit, player in the game tested - albeit on my PC currently - and same issue]
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
How are you producing the links? Using the built-in method of [Journal Name] or are you putting in a hyperlink?

Edited 1686971755
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am seeing this also, in my case they are to Compendium entries I had made long ago that have been working all this time.  Something has changed.  If I create it again it also kicks me out.  Also, the checkmark to create the window out of the game is missing. That may have something to do with it. 

Edited 1686992251
Saad
Pro
Thanks for that second prompt, Keith. The links are created using hyperlinks (so, e.g. putting the spell Levitate (from the in-game compendium) to a journal entry for a custom magic item. I've just tested that [] method of linking to other journal entries works as intended (opens in a new pop-up rather than exiting the game to take me to the compendium page in browser). Gauss, I do see the 'character popout windows' option under Personalziation & Display within in-game settings. Is this what's missing for you? The whole option or just the tickbox? If it is just the tick box, I've encountered that before, and I was able to fix that by testing incognito, clearing cache, the usual turn it off and on again approach :D

Edited 1686996460
Gauss
Forum Champion
Saad said: Gauss, I do see the 'character popout windows' option under Personalziation & Display within in-game settings. Is this what's missing for you? The whole option or just the tickbox? If it is just the tick box, I've encountered that before, and I was able to fix that by testing incognito, clearing cache, the usual turn it off and on again approach :D No, in the linking window (in a handout type the link's name, then highlight the typed name, next click the linkify icon) there used to be a checkbox for opening the result in a new window. That checkbox is now missing.  That method is how I created a lot of my compendium linking in a handout to walk new players through character creation. 
Gauss, do you mean this ^ window?  I either never noticed that, or I've forgotten it (it must have been the default setting for me). But this is essentially how I've created numerous links which now have changed behaviour. If yes, then the absence of it could be symptomatic of this new behaviour! Also, one of my players tested this - created new game, handout, same process as illustrated above - and the same outcome (exits game to go to browser, rather than opening a new popout within game.
I've contacted the roll20 support team since this issue has been independently corroborated. I'll post any updates when available. Thanks both for your help and responses :)
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, that linking process. :)
Hello, I'm having the exact same issue. I didn't notice it until my players said something about it. They had been working for me for years. it's how I create magic item shops, I link to the compendium if applicable. Now it exit's the game to click on them. I had my players middle-click on the links for now to open them in a new tab, but I hope this is fixed and not permanent.
Update: this issue fixed overnight for me. I changed nothing, but it just works today. Sorry for the double post!
Hey Saad, Thanks for letting us know about this. It seems like we have a problem with the links that have the route "app." in them. Here are my steps to reproduce. Let me know if this is the issue that you're having and if these steps reproduce the issue for you. Steps to Reproduce While editing a handout, create a new link Name the link “Levitate 1” Use this address for where the link should go. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells:Levitate" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells:Levitate</a> Click insert link to close the link dialog Click save changes to close the edit dialog Click on “Levitate 1”. Notice you are taken out of the VTT and are linked directly to the web page compendium for Levitate. Also notice the link is not intercepted to warn you about leaving the VTT. Repeat steps 1 - 6 but instead use “Levitate 2” as the name of the link and this address for where the link should go. <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells:Levitate" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells:Levitate</a> Notice that the link works as expected. Expected Result The Levitate 1 link opens the compendium entry in the game without leaving the VTT. For the other issue about the checkbox on the link dialog box, I'll look into that why that is not showing up. But if I remember right, that checkbox opened in another browser window/tab which is not exactly what you're hoping for. It seems like you're hoping for the expected results from above. Anyway, Thanks again for letting us know about this. I'll keep you up to date with what we find and when it's fixed.

Edited 1687367805
Saad
Pro
Hi everyone, so yeah this has just fixed itself for me now as well :D Which is brilliant! So thanks if it was intentional or unintentional :D Just for the sake of completeness, Andrew (and thanks for that reply; sorry I couldn't test it earlier)... fyi both the links you've provided lead to the same behaviour (maybe it was different a few days ago). Both links open in game :) Finally, I've been using the in-game compendium links. Which are a bit different to the links you've provided above. Again, just fyi as this may be the case with others too - that copying the in-game compendium link is simpler and swifter when creating links in handouts. Here's what that looks like for Levitate&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells%3ALevitate?sharedCompendium=10480006#toc_2" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells%3ALevitate?sharedCompendium=10480006#toc_2</a> , for reference.
Actually Saad, We literally just pushed an update and I was coming here to let you know that it has been fixed. Everything should be working as intended for this now. The only other issue that was mentioned here that is not fixed is the check box for the "open in new window" option. That is still in the works. Thanks again for reporting this!
Brilliant stuff -- thank you community members and developers all :)