Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any Way to Make an Attack Macro That Accounts for the Six Twenties in a Row for AD&D To Hit Armor Class???

Here is an example attack macro I use: Name: Dagger-Thrown-LongRange &{template:2Edefault}{{name= @{selected|token_name} the @{selected|class}, Attacks @{target|token_name}, with the thrown DAGGER (15")!}}{{subtitle=Long Range: 21 to 30 ft (-5 To Hit)}}{{desc= Strike Hits an AC of [[ @{selected|ThAC0} [THAC0] - (1d20 [D20] @{selected|dexmissile} [DEX Bonus] - 5 [Distance Penalty]) ]] For [[1d4]] S/M or [[1d3]] L HP Piercing Damage!  Can throw 2 daggers per round}}
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Can you elaborate on what "Six twenties in a row" means, and what your macro would have to do in order to accommodate it?
Well here is the attack matrix for a 7th Level AD&D thief. The current macro would just calculate to hitting AC -2 with a 21 rolled in total, rather than 20 see. Roll Required To Hit Armor Class: (No Adjustments): -10 24 -9 23 -8 22 -7 21 -6 20 -5 20 -4 20 -3 20 -2 20 -1 20 0 19 1 18 2 17 3 17 4 15 5 14 6 13 7 12 8 11 9 10 10 9
Ricky R. said: Well here is the attack matrix for a 7th Level AD&D thief. The current macro would just calculate to hitting AC -2 with a 21 rolled in total, rather than 20 see. Roll Required To Hit Armor Class: (No Adjustments): -10 24 -9 23 -8 22 -7 21 -6 20 -5 20 -4 20 -3 20 -2 20 -1 20 0 19 1 18 2 17 3 17 4 15 5 14 6 13 7 12 8 11 9 10 10 9 Are you looking for something more along these lines?
I can have a look at that macro at least. I would also be making one for the AD&D 1E simple sheet as well. For another game I am helping with I pieced together this macro after assinging attributes for each THAC: Name: TH-Club-(Character's name) &{template:attacks}{{name= @{selected|token_name} the @{selected|class}, attacks with the wooden CLUB (3ft) at @{target|token_name}!}}{{subtag= To Hit Armor Class}}{{ToHitAC-10to0=[[ @{selected|THAC-10} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-9} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-8} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-7} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-6} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-5} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-4} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-3} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-2} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC-1} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC0} ]]}} {{ToHitAC1to10=[[ @{selected|THAC0} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC1} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC2} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC3} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC4} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC5} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC6} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC7} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC8} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC9} ]]|[[ @{selected|THAC10} ]] }}{{attack= Strike Hits an Armor Class of [[ @{selected|ThAC0} [THAC0] - (1d20 [D20] @{selected|strengthhit} [STR Bonus] ) ]]  For [[ 1d6 @{selected|strengthdmg} [STR Bonus] ]] S/M or [[1d3 @{selected|strengthdmg} [STR Bonus] ]] L HP Piercing Damage! Strength Bonus To Hit: @{selected|strengthhit} Strength Bonus Damage: @{selected|strengthdmg}}}
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
1e madness... I've been down this path before.&nbsp; If you're going to use the attack matrix from the DMG(p74,75) it's best to just roll and refer to the tables.&nbsp; There's 4 different tables based on your class and another for monsters and there's the odd block of 6 repeating 20's to hit a range of AC's on a 20. <a href="https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1351399&amp;sid=b0448e6f60326e4182a7a8608641450d#p1351399" rel="nofollow">https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1351399&amp;sid=b0448e6f60326e4182a7a8608641450d#p1351399</a> &nbsp;Then THAC0 came out with it's easy math. ;-)
What?! THAC0 is 1E as well!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ricky R. said: What?! THAC0 is 1E as well! Yup, came out at the tail end. FIrst I saw it was AD&amp;D Battlesystem boxed set.

Edited 1687303698
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Ricky R. said: What?! THAC0 is 1E as well! I think there was a module or Dragon magazine that first mentioned it (or the concept of it...), but I don't recall seeing anything about THAC0 in the DMG or PHB. (oops, see below)&nbsp; Of course when 2e came out that's what we all used.&nbsp; Nothing wrong with THAC0 it's just not the same as the attack matrix tables. Who's DMG didn't automatically fall open to p74/75?&nbsp; lol ACTUALLY: it did show up in the DMG in the Appendix (can't understand why I missed it...)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
vÍnce said: Who's DMG didn't automatically fall open to p74/75?&nbsp; lol ACTUALLY: it did show up in the DMG in the Appendix (can't understand why I missed it...) You probably missed it because your book falls open to page 74/75. ;)

Edited 1687364321
THAC0 was in use in 1E from very early days. A lot of the rules that grew into the various versions over the years started as "House Rules" Like Vince showed, it already existed in the 1E DMG appendices for Monsters, it just took players a while to figure out, "Hold on... I could use that exact same system for my character..." All you did was look at the combat matrix for your class, run your finger along to AC0, check your level, and THERE was your THAC0...&nbsp; For my group, it was about 1983 when we started putting a ToHt/AC:0 column on character sheets for every weapon so that we could include all the weapons' modifiers up front and know exactly what number we needed to roll every time we attacked.&nbsp; It became such a prevalent "House Rule" that it even reached Wisonsin, and was subsequently absorbed into the "Rules as Written" for 2E. When it was adapted into 2E it followed a structured progression that it hadn't in 1E, (of course it hadn't... it was 1E... what? you xpect it to make sense???) which is what allows macros like&nbsp; a Warrior's,&nbsp; 21-@{level}. Ta Da! I've been running a hybrid AD&amp;D game for a while now, and among the first things I decided when using Roll20 was to go for the 2E THAC0. because its just mathematically simpler.&nbsp; I'm also in the process of migrating everything to go full 2E to take maximum advantage of Richards monumentally spectacularly brilliant RPGMaster set of Mods (APIs... whatever...) However much I tried to state how bloody good that suite is, I could not do it justice!
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Tommy said: I'm also in the process of migrating everything to go full 2E to take maximum advantage of Richards monumentally spectacularly brilliant RPGMaster set of Mods (APIs... whatever...) However much I tried to state how bloody good that suite is, I could not do it justice! Richard has done an amazing job. He invented an entire game engine for running 2E! That is going above and beyond anything seen before. He truly is the RPGMaster ;)
Peter B. said: Tommy said: I'm also in the process of migrating everything to go full 2E to take maximum advantage of Richards monumentally spectacularly brilliant RPGMaster set of Mods (APIs... whatever...) However much I tried to state how bloody good that suite is, I could not do it justice! Richard has done an amazing job. He invented an entire game engine for running 2E! That is going above and beyond anything seen before. He truly is the RPGMaster ;) Is that backwards compatible with 1E? granted there's not much different anyways. What I am doing with my AD&amp;D game is combining the information from both editions, with the idea of un-nerfing it all. So I use the die rolls that are the more challengining hard ones and combine the spell information, adding in the new info from 2E as additions and DM options, while using the 2E simple sheet. I see that RPGMaster is using the 2E sheet that players have complained about in the past, as being to complex and not easy to use and understand. So that one needs an overhaul to be more better user intuitive and easier to use, while retaining everything it has to offer and still be able to be used if the DM wants to just use 1E information for whatever reason.