Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

TurnMarker1

I would like to see something added in that, when you reach the end of the turn order, there would be like a button with the option to either go into the next new round or go back to the beginning and do subsequent 2nd attacks and so on, either in the same order or after re-initing again and rearranging the order.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hmm. I'm not quite sure I get what you're after. It will loop back to the beginning as you advance the turn order. If you want it to stop at the end, you could add a custom turn to the turn order at the end. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ricky R. said: I would like to see something added in that, when you reach the end of the turn order, there would be like a button with the option to either go into the next new round or go back to the beginning and do subsequent 2nd attacks and so on, either in the same order or after re-initing again and rearranging the order. Hi Ricky, just making sure you are aware of the button: there is a button that looks like an arrow at the bottom of the turn order. This button cycles through the turn order so and goes 'back to the beginning' when you reach the end.  If that isn't what you are looking for could you describe how what you would like is different?

Edited 1688419490
Sigh. For AD&D and clones, (and even 5E like I do), that separate the multiple attacks so the party can better co-ordinate and better strategize them out. When you get to the bottom of the turn-order there would be something there, that the DM can click to either advance to the next new round or go back to the top of the turn order and cycle through the Same Round again for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, attacks. Some DM even re-init for the subsequent attacks, thus why I mentioned;  either in the same order or after re-initing again and rearranging the order.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can put a custom label in the turn order to provide such a break. When you reach that custom label you know you have reached the end of your current turn. 
I already do that but things get confusing for the players, because the turn order does not advance as the DM is simply skimming down through it and telling folks it's their turn. So the idea is that there is a button, that asks the DM if you wish to go to the next round, or simply go back to the beginning and go through the turn order again In The Same Round, sending the turn back into the chat box again. Some DM's go to the trouble of simply adding in all of the monsters and players attacks with init rolls for each of them but this makes the turn order get really long. Having the option to do what I'm asking about eliminates that and keeps the current turn showing in the chat box as you do each attack for the players and monsters.

Edited 1688420588
Gauss
Forum Champion
The button I was referencing earlier is how to advance the turn order. The DM just needs to push that button.  If that isn't what you are looking for could you describe in more detail how your vision would work? 
I know that! But advacing each character/monster in the order is not what I am referring to! It is After you go through all of the turns.  Instead of just the button to advance from round 1 to round 2, there is another asking if you want to go back through round 1 all over again, to accomandate the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc, attacks.

Edited 1688421708
Gauss
Forum Champion
I apologize, I don't understand how that is different from how it currently works.  A has an initiative of 20 B has an initiative of 15 C has an initiative of 13.  The order starts at A, B, C.  A makes an attack, the arrow is pushed and A goes to the bottom. The order is now B, C, A  B makes an attack, the arrow is pushed and B goes to the bottom. The order is now C, A, B C makes an attack, the arrow is pushed and C goes to the bottom. The order is now A, B, C again.... This could be either a new round, or the 2nd attack in the same round, it works for both.  The only change I might put in is a custom entry to keep track of the turn number and/or the attack number within the current turn.  Something like:  Turn: 1.1 (turn 1, attack 1) Turn: 1.2 (turn 1, attack 2) Turn: 2.1 (turn 2, attack 1)  and so on. Then I would update the number whenever it comes up. 
What you are showing just advances the round to the next one regardless though. The only way I see not to do that is simply the way I've been doing it. I add "2nd attacks" and "3rd Attacks" and just go through the turn order again without advancing. But see doing that causes confusion, that is why adding something that is automatic to simply restart the same round and label it 2nd, 3rd attacks etc, would be nice.

Edited 1688442191
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ricky R. said: What you are showing just advances the round to the next one regardless though. The only way I see not to do that is simply the way I've been doing it. I add "2nd attacks" and "3rd Attacks" and just go through the turn order again without advancing. But see doing that causes confusion, that is why adding something that is automatic to simply restart the same round and label it 2nd, 3rd attacks etc, would be nice. Advancing the turn order doesn't advance "the round to the next one regardless" since there is nothing baked in on what that means.  I think this might be a mental perspective problem.  The Turn Order being advanced to the Round marker doesn't mean the round is over, it is a decisionpoint.  Do you want to do the round again for second attacks? Or do you want to move on to the next round?  There is no Roll20 mechanics involved, it is purely decision-making on the group's side of things.  Advancing to the next round looks exactly the same as advancing to the same round but second attack.  Edit: I see the problem, I am talking Roll20, while you are discussing a script that changes how Roll20 works. That wasn't clear to me from the beginning. Yes, we are in the API Script forum, but that could have been a request for a script, not discussing an existing one. Much of the time when people ask for a script it can be done via native Roll20 methods which was the way I was seeing the problem.  In any case, I apologize for the confusion and frustration you may have experienced.  Looking over the script briefly, it is the problem. If you drop the script you won't have an issue with doing it manually.  Alternately, spell out for The Aaron what changes are needed.  The first change I see: Round # shouldn't be limited to a single number, it should be able to include a decimal value. Example: Round 1.1 instead of just round 1. This will allow you to set the round and attack number using the !tm reset # command.  The second change I see: A switch where Round # increments decimal values (attack numbers) automatically like it does rounds. Possibly asking if you want to continue to the next round or the same round but next attack.  This change is probably significantly more involved for The Aaron to make than the first change. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Is what you are asking for literally going back to the top without incrementing the round counter?
The Aaron said: Is what you are asking for literally going back to the top without incrementing the round counter? Yes, at least that, however, adding something there that shows which attack it is, i.e., Attack #1, Attack #2, etc., would be nice as well. I know I could just add a lable an increment it manually each time.