Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any Kind/Courageous Coders up for Adopting/Adapting/Updating Dynamic Light Recorder?

Edited 1688929749
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Recent updates to Roll20's dynamic lighting options (wall types, windows, etc.) have left Dynamic Light Recorder behind.  It no longer functions correctly.  Walls can still be linked to an image, but they get misaligned, don't rotate, etc. Unfortunately, Lucian hasn't been around in years to update his own script.  I was hoping some kind soul could adopt the script and update it to perhaps function correctly with recognizing the current wall/door/window types, ideally starting from The Aaron's edit to the script that allows it to also update correctly when Token Mod is used to change an image. I'm releasing a modular tile set on the marketplace soon and I wanted to also offer an add-on version of it that would include recorded walls via the export/import options (so Pro users could just move/rotate tiles and never need to draw a single wall as the author originally intended ), but that's when I realized the script is in need of an update.  I also used to use it extensively in my games for doors that automatically opened/closed dynamic lighting walls, but it's obviously less needed for that function these days.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I actually looked into making an updated version of this script a few weeks ago.  There are a few problems with how it works currently: 1) It relies on selecting all the lines and the graphic together, but you can't draw the special DL lines on any layer but the walls layer, so you'd need to do the graphics on that layer then push them to the map layer.  That's tedious but solvable. 2) The bigger problem is you can't multi-select, or drag select windows and doors, and they don't get passed to the API as part of the selection even if you did.  That's harder to deal with. I have some ideas on how to overcome both of those issues, but they require quite a bit of rework to the script, which usually means it's better to write a new script with a different architecture.
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I see.  I honestly haven't played with the doors/windows myself yet, so I wasn't aware of the selection problem. Obviously I trust you to know the best approach!  If it seems like a project you'd like to undertake, I would thank you tremendously for doing so, but it sounds like you might need some more API hooks to assist in that.  If that's something I can help champion with the developers, let me know.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
(Check your PMs =D)
You also can't copy and paste doors and windows, which seems like a huge oversight. Also, you can move the doors and windows, as the GM, while on the token layer.  I question a lot of Roll20's decisions about how they did certain things. DL could have been done so much better.