Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Absolutely awful low res tokens (recent issue)

Edited 1690217279
Melt
Pro
Whats up with tokens looking like absolute ass after the recent new interface update? This token was taken straight from the compendium that I purchased so I expect it to work out of the box without modifications. The map scale is defaulted at 1 and the zoom is at 100%. What gives? I've been running a Westmarch campaign for nearly 3 years without issue and this NPC has been present since the beginning.  Why is Roll20 constantly devolving? Dynamic lighting was such a resource hog and prone to memory leaks that my players kept crashing and it needed to be removed, and now this? If Roll20 didn't have a near monopoly on VTT, they'd be bankrupt with updates like these.  **It was my fault** I told my players that am not running a game until this issue is fixed and if it isn't resolved by the next billing cycle I will just cancel my sub altogether.
Found a screenshot from months ago with the same NPC. The difference is as clear as day and in fact I now notice that the map itself also is significantly blurrier now than it was before.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Melt! Assuming this is the druid token from the Monster Manual Compendium, I cannot duplicate that appearance. Screen shot attached below. There are some things you can try if images are not appearing properly: 1) Try running in a private browsing window to rule out any extension conflicts 2) Try the experimental image delivery service under your account settings. This can help rule out certain situations in which AWS is prevented from serving images properly. 3) If this is a West Marches campaign, try verifying that you yourself, the owner of the game placed the compendium token. If another owner placed it and has left the game, you may no longer have that image available to serve and are seeing cached data. If this last is the case, then the image will likely eventually disappear. 4) Related to above, Try placing the compendium creature into a brand new game. This can help rule out any issues with corruption in the existing game. I can assure you that there is no system-wide issue with image serving currently going on, otherwise the forums would be flooded with complaints.

Edited 1690069922
Melt
Pro
You are zoomed in at 250%. I also see it correctly at 250%. I do not wish to be at 250%, I wish to be at 100%. Please test it at 100%. Normally when you zoom out of an image it should actually start looking higher quality, not the other way around. None of the suggestions helped.
Here is another token, just added straight from the compendium myself. Looks absolutely awful on the default 100% Now compare it to what it should look like:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here are both of those tokens at 100%. It was difficult to tell in that first image what the intent was, since it was zoomed in or blown up at some point (a 1 grid token at 100% should display at 70 pixels across. That one was about 160 pixels across). Are you using some sort of browser zoom, or an artificial or virtual resolution (such as a retina screen)? If this is the case, I don't have direct experience using Roll20 on Retina, but understand that there are some display tricks I can track down if so. For further comparison, here is my screen shot shown side-by-side with yours (both at 100% pixel value). Something is definitely different about how the images are being sized and displayed.

Edited 1690217235
Melt
Pro
No, that zoom is simply how snipping tool resizes the image. M y browser is at 100%, same as Roll20.  I could take multiple snips of the same token and depending on how big my snip it, it will change the ratio of the image. With that said, the information you provided led me down a different path and I searched for monitor scaling features in windows and found this setting: Reducing it back to 100% and now my tokens load correctly. I had set this higher since I was having trouble seeing things on my TV. I fiddled with it and set it to 350% and sure enough the tokens looked even worse. Definitely something to keep in mind if something like this occurs again. Thank you for taking the time to help me with my issue!

Edited 1690218087
Melt
Pro
This actually leads to another issue. I can't enjoy playing Roll20 on a Desktop+TV combo because the scaling is needed to be able to see and read and I'd imagine it would be the same on any ultra high resolution monitor as well. From what I am noticing, when the windows scale is increased, it actually zooms the Roll20 map in so with a setting of 200% scaling, Roll20s 100% now appears the same as 100% scaling, with 200% zoom, and since the image scaling feature seems to be tied to the zoom resolution, I am basically getting half the resolution. I do believe there is code that can be implemented to prevent elements from scaling with the Windows setting and seeing as how Roll20 is incompatible with this setting, perhaps it should be utilized, similarly how many of my other games and software are not affected by Windows scaling.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm glad you found the root cause. I can't answer to the scaling issue, since I don't have a Retina or HD display. Does browser zoom help?