Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Death Save roll not updating 5e Character Sheet

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to get Death Save to update the success or fail in the D&D 5E by Roll20 Character Sheet.  I have set it using  deathsavetracking on set for the sheet.  Clicking the Death Save button reports the roll result to chat but the success or failure isn't reporting to chat nor does the sheet update to show the results. Ultimately, I want the Death Save rolls and the success/fail counts to be GM whispered to chat and the sheet not update so I can do the saves blind but have the success/fail tracking show to me (GM). Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Stik,  Are you using an API script? If so which one?
Do you have the  5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion script  installed? You can check by running the help command in chat:  !5ehelp Then you can configure the death save tracking with:  !deathsavetracking on

Edited 1690945000
Stik
Pro
Yes, I have the Companion script loaded and it's configured correctly.  Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Oh, and ammo tracking and the other Companion scripts work.
What is the output of the !5estatus command? (Please post a screenshot) Can you post a screenshot of the output when you make a Death Saving throw?  !deathsavetracking on/off/player/quiet If it is set to 'on' then the script will automatically mark death saving throw failures and successes, and send a message to all players in chat. If it is set to 'off' then the script will not do anything when a Death Save is rolled. If it is set to 'player' then the script will automatically mark death saving throw failures and successes, and send a message only to the controlling player and the GM. If it is set to 'quiet' then the script will automatically mark death  saving throw failures and successes, but will not send any messages to the controlling player or the GM. The script does not have a built-in way to send a success/failure message only to the GM and not mark failures and successes. You'd have to manually modify and import the script for that.
Here are both of screen shot you requested: Only the results of the roll show. There is no display in chat of the success or failure counts and the success or failure is not being marked on the sheet. I just checked another previous game (which I should have done before I pushed the button on this thread) and the death saves are working properly there.  So, it's likely another API script is conflicting.  I have a pretty standard list of scripts I use but I know I added a couple to this game so it should be pretty easy to find the offending script. If you or anyone else happens be aware of any known conflicting scripts, please share the info. Thanks for your interest and help.

Edited 1691031126
Gauss
Forum Champion
Stik, do you have APIHeartbeat running? If not you might want to give that a try, make sure the API is operational.  Have you checked the character sheet's settings?  Have you tried a Private or Incognito window? Which browser are you running?
Thanks for trying to help me out, Gauss  (you, too, Jarren - I just realized I overlooked thanking you previously). I don't have APIHeartbeat but will install it as soon as I finish this reply. I have checked the Character Sheet's settings.  Unless I'm overlooking something, there isn'ta setting there that affects Death Saves (unlike Ammo Tracking). I have not tried either a private nor Incognito window. I'm running Firefox but I use Chrome for my dummy account I use for player testing and it's the same for both accounts. Following up on my previous post regarding it being an API script conflict, I discovered that I had only added three new API scripts for this game vs the game where death saves work correctly (and I had already disabled one of them - Patrols).  The other two are a small script to restore initiative scores when switching maps that was posted here in the Community Forums (which I disabled to no effect) and UniversalVTTImporter (which I can really imagine causing a problem with death save tracking). I did have the TokenCondition script loaded in the other game that's not in the current one but it makes no sense that not having that script would cause this behavior. For the sake of completion, I've disabled UniversalVTTImporter to ne effect. One more possible clue.  Although "deathsavetracking on" shows under 5estatus, when I (GM) click the Death Save button on my dummy player's sheet it only reports to chat as a whisper chat t me (not to the dummy player's chat).  If I click on it as the dummy player it reports the roll results as a whisper to the GM chat (and to the dummy player's own chat).  No sheet marking nor tracking results displayed in the GM or Player's chats. Since the Sheet marking can't be decoupled from the chat tracking (without modding the script), finding the reason for this behavior is becoming somewhat moot for me as I'm only interested in whispering the save rolls and success/fail tracking to me without the sheet being marked. I'm looking at the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion script on Github.  I'm a rank amateur at scripting but I can see the section covering the death saves. Using my limited skills, it's not completely clear to me (without some further research) that the chat tracking can be decoupled from the check being made on the sheet, but I think it may be.  If that is the case then I'd like to find out the reason for my current issue so I can take a stab at modding the script to do what I want it to do.

Edited 1691039211
Just for the sake of argument, have you tried resetting the deathsavetracking command? Try running  !deathsavetracking player and then rolling a death save, then  !deathsavetracking quiet and run it again, then  !deathsavetracking on and run it another time. Maybe the state object got messed up or something. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
My suggestion is to duplicate the game, then start adding API scripts one at a time, starting with the Roll20 companion script. Test at each stage until you find out what breaks.
Jarren, I've followed your suggestion but it had no effect on the situation. I'm following your suggestion, Gauss, and I thought I was going to have to report failure.  I copied the game, loaded only the companion script and when I tested it with my dummy player's character, not only the deathtracking failed but ammo tracking and spell tracking also.  a bit later, I was able to have one of the actual players in the game join for a test and, surprise, everything was working for his character. So, apparently there is something wrong with that character sheet for my dummy player.  I had previously had the same player test the deathtracking on the original game (and again, after we found it was working on the copied game) and the deathtracking still does't work there (but spell tracking and ammo track are working.)  I've now tested with both some newly generated characters and some archived ones and they all work on the copied game (except for the original dummy player character which I'll be deleting and recreating from scratch if I decide I need it. All in all an unusual situation. I'm going to follow up with reinstalling my API scripts individually to try to find any conflicting scripts and will continue here with what I find.
Ok, so far, so good.  However, I can't report that I found a particular script (or group of scripts) that caused my issue.  There were 4 scripts that I decided I didn't need now so I didn't load them and I've had no issues with the copied game. Thanks, again, for your suggestions.  I am still interested in seeing about tweaking the Companion script to not mark the character sheet while still whispering the success/fail count to the GM so I'll investigate that further.