Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Modifying the 5th edition OGL companion script - Death save tracking

Is it possible to modify the 5th edition OGL companion script to whisper the success/fail count to chat without marking the result on the Character sheet? None of the deathsavetracking settings (on/off/player/quiet) do this.  I have a macro I use to roll blind death saves but it only whispers the roll results not the success/fail tracking. I'd prefer that the players could use the DeathSave button on the character sheet and have the roll results and the tracking GM whispered with no Character Sheet marking. I'm a rank amateur in script usage but have managed to successfully make a few minor mods to a couple of scripts I use.  I think I've located the section of the Companion script that controls the death tracking but it's not clear to me if the sheet marking and the death tracking in the chat are dependent on each other of if the marking can be edited out. (if this makes no sense, did I mention that I'm a rank amateur at script usage.) Any and all  help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1691475491
Gauss
Forum Champion
I think your best bet will be to ignore the Companion script for this.  Make a macro, it rolls your death save. On a success it adds 1 to a custom Attribute.  On a failure it adds 1 to a different custom Attribute.  It then reports both attributes.  The addition of attributes can be done with ChatSetAttr
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The death save functions of the script were written before it became possible to do that with sheet functions. The sheet now handles it without help from the API, which is probably why the companion script is not performing as one would expect. I'm not sure if the script can override the sheet behavior in a satisfactory manner. Gauss' solution is a good approach, by ignoring both the sheet function and the script altogether.
Thank you Gauss and keithcurtis for your responses.  It looks like Gauss has an answer that should work for me.