Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Token & GM Layer Opacity

I would like to have the token and GM layer opacity at the same level. Since the players can't see the GM layer, it would be much easier for the GM to see any notes added to the GM layer while seeing the tokens simultaneously. I'd prefer the map layer to be dimmable instead of the GM layer. With the map layer dimmable, I would faintly see the fog of war but easily see the tokens and GM layer.

Edited 1691824051
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Ruhar,  You can already set the GM layer opacity to the same as the Token layer via GM Opacity slider. You can find that in either the new UI settings button, or the old UI layer button.
But the opacity is not 100%. To make the token and GM layers equal, they must be at 50%, so neither one is very bright. I want both to be bright.

Edited 1691832067
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ruhar  said: But the opacity is not 100%. To make the token and GM layers equal, they must be at 50%, so neither one is very bright. I want both to be bright. Yes, you can do that. You can set the opacity to 100% so that there is no difference between GM and token layers.  Edit: This shows the difference.  On the right is a token on the token layer, on the left is a token on the GM layer.  Top is GM layer set to full opacity, bottom is GM layer set to default (around 60% I think) opacity.  As you can see, when set to full opacity the GM layer and Token layer are identical.
I don't know how you can get both layers so clear. It would have been helpful if, in your second response, you had explained your settings and how you did it. I am using Dynamic Lighting, and this is what I am seeing at 50% opacity. The goblin on the left is on the Token Layer, and the goblin dog on the right, text and room number are on the GM Layer. As you can see, neither is very bright. They are more like your GM Default for the GM Layer. This is why I would like to have both the GM Layer and the Token Layer viewable at 100% equally. If I increase the opacity to 100%, I will see nothing on the Token Layer, no matter what layer I am on.

Edited 1691968198
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Ruhar,  To clarify, the setting I am using is the GM layer opacity setting which I stated the location in the first response I made. " You can find that in either the new UI settings button, or the old UI layer button." There is no Dynamic Lighting in my image.  I think the problem is one of language. You have been addressing the GM layer up until now. Not Dynamic Lighting. My guess is your problem is not GM layer, it is Dynamic Lighting, or it is both combined. Turn your GM Darkness Opacity down. You can find that in the Page Settings for the map you are on. And then change the GM layer opacity to something you are happy with. 

Edited 1691969351
Gauss
Forum Champion
Here are the locations of the settings (note: on the right is the Old UI, if you are using the new UI the GM Layer Opacity is under the new UI's settings button). I would start by doing this on a page without DL. Set your GM Overlay Opacity (aka GM Layer Opacity) to the desired setting, see how that works. Then do that on a page with DL.  Note: the GM Overlay Opacity (aka GM Layer Opacity) setting has no memory, you have to do it every time you refresh or load the game. 
Gauss said: My guess is your problem is not GM layer, it is Dynamic Lighting, or it is both combined. Turn your GM Darkness Opacity down. You can find that in the Page Settings for the map you are on. And then change the GM layer opacity to something you are happy with.  I think you're right; Dynamic Lighting is causing the problem. I have played with the GM Layer Opacity in the tools bar and the GM Darkness Opacity in the page settings. I thought they were an either-or and didn't work together. This is really broken, more so than I thought. I should not have to go between two sections to try and adjust the opacity. If I need to adjust both sliders, they should be in the same location so I can go back and forth until I get what I want. Thanks for your help, Gauss. It took us a while to understand what the other was talking about, but we finally got it. Roll20 needs to look at this for Dynamic Lighting. Thankfully, after the players leave this level I can go back to Fog of War.

Edited 1692076602
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ruhar said: Gauss said: My guess is your problem is not GM layer, it is Dynamic Lighting, or it is both combined. Turn your GM Darkness Opacity down. You can find that in the Page Settings for the map you are on. And then change the GM layer opacity to something you are happy with.  I think you're right; Dynamic Lighting is causing the problem. I have played with the GM Layer Opacity in the tools bar and the GM Darkness Opacity in the page settings. I thought they were an either-or and didn't work together. This is really broken, more so than I thought. I should not have to go between two sections to try and adjust the opacity. If I need to adjust both sliders, they should be in the same location so I can go back and forth until I get what I want. Thanks for your help, Gauss. It took us a while to understand what the other was talking about, but we finally got it. Roll20 needs to look at this for Dynamic Lighting. Thankfully, after the players leave this level I can go back to Fog of War. I think while you understand what I am talking about now you don't quite understand how the system works.  GM Overlay (or Layer) Opacity controls how faint or not faint the tokens on the GM layer are. This is to indicate what is on the GM layer and what isn't.  GM Darkness Opacity controls a completely different thing. How dark or not dark the areas of obscurement (blacked out regions of Fog of War or of Dynamic Lighting) are to the GM.  Yes, it can make things difficult to see if both are set so that the GM Overlay Opacity is too faint and the GM Darkness Opacity is too dark. But both need to be controlled independently.  My suggestion is to set GM Overlap (or Layer) Opacity up so that the GM layer is only slightly faint, just enough to indicate the tokens are on the GM layer.  Then set up the GM Darkness Opacity so that it is shaded, but not dark. 
I will follow your suggestion, but the system is broken. As I said, "I should not have to go between two sections to try and adjust the opacity. If I need to adjust both sliders, they should be in the same location so I can go back and forth until I get what I want." The best example is I'm running between two rooms to accomplish one thing in a third room, and the Page Setting blocks half of the third room with the drop-down. The toolbar is new for Dynamic Lighting, so both bars need to be on the toolbar. Now that I know the problem is Dynamic Lighting, I will submit the problem for feedback. Thank you for your help with this.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .