Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Unable to Load Page: dynamic lighting on updated Google Chrome browser

Gold
Forum Champion
Since 1-2 days ago, my Google Chrome browser on Mac will not load my Roll20 games, giving the following error message: Unable to Load Page. The page you are trying to load contains Dynamic Lighting, which your device does not support. Chrome browser Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (arm64) Of course this worked every day for the past year(s), I use Google Chrome on Mac to play Roll20 with Dynamic Lighting, all the time. Several times per week, normally, no issues.  Fortunately the Roll20 game is loading fine in Firefox browser, so I can still GM and do game prep. (Game is tonight, 5 hours from now) Help pls: What can I do to get Chrome working again? Any settings I can toggle to test this? 

Edited 1694731819
If you go to Chrome > Settings > System, is the " Use hardware acceleration when available"  toggle set to the ON position? If you switch it on you will probably have to restart the browser. If is already on and restarting the browser doesn't fix the issue, paste the URL  chrome://gpu  into the browser bar and paste the results back into this thread (OpenGL should show as enabled).
I just made sure mine was up to date and I am on  Version 117.0.5938.62 (Official Build) (arm64) So it looks like there is a new update available, give that a try and see if that fixes it. It is working on my Mac currently. Note that if you go to the Menu and go to Help -> About Google Chrome you can force it to check for the latest update there.
I'm on a MacBook Pro 2019 (Intel i7), and when I tried on Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (x86_64) several different games loaded fine for me.  I note that you're on an ARM build, so potentially there was a problem with that specific version for ARM? So as Riley says, maybe the latest 117.x version will fix it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No issues here loading DL pages on Chrome Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (arm64), or on Version 117.0.5938.62 (Official Build) (arm64) I just updated to check before and after. M1 Mac Mini 2020

Edited 1694814652
This issue started for me this afternoon. Chrome  Version 117.0.5938.62 (Official Build) (arm64)  on an M1 chip. For a workaround if you're stuck like I was: Use Chrome Dev.
Same issue; had to switch to firefox. Using Chrome v.  116.0.5845.187  
Also experiencing this issue. Joined a game as a player Thursday evening without issues, logged in today to my campaign that I DM and am unable to open any page with dynamic lighting. System details:  Macbook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020, Mac OS X 13.5.1 Chrome Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) Possibly relevant console errors? (happy to email full console log if requested!) Early in the page load sequence: USING WEBGL ACCELERATION... vtt.bundle.js:38251 WEBGL STARTUP SUCCESS Last few lines before uncaught error: WebGL: INVALID_OPERATION: getAttribLocation: program not linked vtt.bundle.js:22154 WebGL: INVALID_OPERATION: getAttribLocation: program not linked vtt.bundle.js:22154 WebGL: INVALID_OPERATION: getAttribLocation: program not linked 43WebGL: INVALID_OPERATION: getUniformLocation: program not linked vtt.bundle.js:22149 Uncaught Error: Program has not been successfully linked. Vertex shader debug info: Fragment shader debug info: at r.createProgram (vtt.bundle.js:22149:328) at new p (vtt.bundle.js:22148:4381) at new r (vtt.bundle.js:21959:708) at Object.initRenderStrategies (vtt.bundle.js:38251:7902) at Object.init (vtt.bundle.js:38251:6826) at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (vtt.bundle.js:38258:26865) at opt.complete (jquery-1.9.1.js:9285:12) at fire (jquery-1.9.1.js:1037:30) at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery-1.9.1.js:1148:7) at tick (jquery-1.9.1.js:8736:14)
Glad to know it's not just me. I guess I'll try another browser for now.
Same issue on Chrome -  Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) -  for me - I guess it was the recent update that has broken it. I'm using an M1 Mac Studio. Fortunately Firefox is still working. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.
Gold
Forum Champion
Ucky, Same issue is persisting on  Chrome is up to date Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) the latest Google Chrome update. Firefox is still working.

Edited 1695004126
Lars
Plus
Also for me.  On mac.  Chrome  Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64)  Firefox is fine. Of note, I can switch to a page without dynamic lightning in firefox, then it loads in chrome
For the  chrome://gpu...    that gives A LOT.  Whatcha looking for?
Lars said: For the  chrome://gpu...    that gives A LOT.  Whatcha looking for? I'm not a Roll20 developer, but I think the topmost "Graphics Feature Status" might be relevant and pasting that section into this thread might help diagnose the issue and wouldn't be overwhelming in size. I think if you opened an issue with Roll20 support  they would appreciate a copy of the whole  chrome://gpu  report as well as a copy of the Chrome  console log.

Edited 1695035477
Lars
Plus
ah.  here is that part.  looking in how to activate the deactivated ones but I am very confused how to: Graphics Feature Status Canvas:  Hardware accelerated Canvas out-of-process rasterization:  Enabled Direct Rendering Display Compositor:  Disabled Compositing:  Hardware accelerated Multiple Raster Threads:  Enabled OpenGL:  Enabled Rasterization:  Hardware accelerated Raw Draw:  Disabled Skia Graphite:  Disabled Video Decode:  Hardware accelerated Video Encode:  Hardware accelerated WebGL:  Hardware accelerated WebGL2:  Hardware accelerated WebGPU:  Hardware accelerated
same for me. hardware accelleration on or off doesnt seem to fix the problem. hardware acceleration off means the map doesn't load at all. Brave is an unsupported browser. Will try firefox, or chromedev. hopefully this gets fixed soon
Just chiming in with another "me too." Same Chrome version that others have noted:  Version 117.0.5938.88 Running Roll20 on Firefox seems to work. I just enabled Dynamic Lightning on a map that wouldn't load in Chrome, and it loaded just fine. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For those with problems on Chrome on mac, do you have the same issues in a private browsing window?

Edited 1695164491
Chrome on M2 Mac is working for me --  Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) However I can reproduce the problem like so: Open chrome://flags Search for "ANGLE" -- the option we are looking for is named "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" Change the value to "Metal" and relaunch Chrome. Go to a Roll20 page with Dynamic Lighting and you should get the "Unable to Load Page  etc etc" error. So, just a thought, maybe the people running into this problem can follow these steps but in step 3 change the value to "OpenGL" if that is not already the value? Maybe that will work. (at your own risk, etc etc) edit: the console error Gregg posted looks a lot like the ones Safari started throwing when it switched to the Metal backend for WebGL 2.
Jim R's answer worked for me!  Switched from default to OpenGl and it works now.  Thanks!!!!
Jim R's answer also worked for me! Wondering when this will be available on Metal for my M2 Mac Mini. 
Jim R's solution worked for me
Thanks for the tip Jim R! And glad it's working for folks. Now we just need to figure out if there's anything we can actually do on our end to get it working with the Metal ANGLE backed. Not sure why it's not...
Another successful fix here using Jim R's solution - thanks for saving my upcoming session tomorrow!  Agreed, hopefully the knowledge can help lead to different solutions in the future. 
Gold
Forum Champion
That's right, what Jim R said. It works in Chrome when ANGLE is set to OpenGL. Does not work when set on METAL.

Edited 1695264373
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Very strange. I just now started having this issue, though it seems to have been going on for over a week, and I have absolutely updated Chrome during that time. I have set the browser to OpenGL however, and that fixed it up. Thanks Jim!
Jim's fix worked. Now, is there anyway to get this to work on Safari?
Jim R's answer worked for me!  Switched from default to OpenGl and it works now.  Thanks!!!!
Had the same issue - Jim Rs solution worked, Had been running the most up to date Version of Chrome" 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) "
Hey folks, Just wanted to let you know that we have tracked down the issue here and while this is really a Chrome bug (some things that are valid WebGL are not being compiled correctly by the Metal ANGLE backend on Mac), we have a fix that we are pretty sure will allow us to work around this on our end so you can use Metal as the backend on Mac...or go back to blissful ignorance of even knowing there was an option to choose. It's in testing now and hopefully will roll out in the next 1-2 weeks. In the meantime, Jim R's workaround above is the best short-term solution. I'll let you all know when the fix is live, though! Thanks.
Chiming in with another THANK YOU Jim R! I'm on the updated Chrome xx-.92 build, using a Mac Studio M2 Max. Bloody damned frustrating issue that disrupted last Wednesday's campaign and almost tonight's! Note: I had to select the OpenGL option.
Yup... this is it... Thanks JimR <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11627074/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11627074/</a> works without error now... all we have to do is wait for Roll20 to fix itself
Also had the same issue after recently updating Chrome and Thanks JimR all sorted&nbsp;
Jim R. said: Chrome on M2 Mac is working for me --&nbsp; Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) However I can reproduce the problem like so: Open chrome://flags Search for "ANGLE" -- the option we are looking for is named "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" Change the value to "Metal" and relaunch Chrome. Go to a Roll20 page with Dynamic Lighting and you should get the "Unable to Load Page &nbsp;etc etc" error. So, just a thought, maybe the people running into this problem can follow these steps but in step 3 change the value to "OpenGL" if that is not already the value? Maybe that will work. (at your own risk, etc etc) edit: the console error Gregg posted looks a lot like the ones Safari started throwing when it switched to the Metal backend for WebGL 2. This did it for me! Thanks! Played with Firefox last night but I'm glad for the fix!
I'm chiming in to say that dynamic lighting isn't working for me either for chrome, even though it is updated. I'm not on a mac though, I'm on an ipad.
Jim's fix has not worked for me. M1 Mac, Chrome&nbsp; Version 117.0.5938.92 (Official Build)&nbsp; Tried with and without VTTES and the new UI Beta. Everything works great on Firefox.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Connor B. said: I'm chiming in to say that dynamic lighting isn't working for me either for chrome, even though it is updated. I'm not on a mac though, I'm on an ipad. I have not had a chance to confirm, but there is an anecdotal report that the "Metal" flag is no longer available in the iOS browser settings. (No matter what they are called, all iOS browsers are Safari.)
Had the same issue. Jim R. has the fix Jim R. said: Chrome on M2 Mac is working for me --&nbsp; Version 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (arm64) However I can reproduce the problem like so: Open chrome://flags Search for "ANGLE" -- the option we are looking for is named "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" Change the value to "Metal" and relaunch Chrome. Go to a Roll20 page with Dynamic Lighting and you should get the "Unable to Load Page &nbsp;etc etc" error. So, just a thought, maybe the people running into this problem can follow these steps but in step 3 change the value to "OpenGL" if that is not already the value? Maybe that will work. (at your own risk, etc etc) edit: the console error Gregg posted looks a lot like the ones Safari started throwing when it switched to the Metal backend for WebGL 2. Thanks Jim!
keithcurtis said: Connor B. said: I'm chiming in to say that dynamic lighting isn't working for me either for chrome, even though it is updated. I'm not on a mac though, I'm on an ipad. I have not had a chance to confirm, but there is an anecdotal report that the "Metal" flag is no longer available in the iOS browser settings. (No matter what they are called, all iOS browsers are Safari.) Can confirm this is the case unfortunately…
Dynamic lighting not working for me. M1 Mac. Chrome&nbsp; Version 117.0.5938.132 (Official Build) (arm64) Used the fix recommended by Jim R. It works.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Andy J. said: Dynamic lighting not working for me. M1 Mac. Chrome&nbsp; Version 117.0.5938.132 (Official Build) (arm64) Used the fix recommended by Jim R. It works. Hi Andy! Did you try the workaround upthread? It has worked for every other Mac user in the thread, myself included.
Changing that setting to "OpenGL" worked for me.&nbsp; Using latest version of Chrome and OS Sonoma on Mac.&nbsp; It's also not working on Safari-- anyone have a fix for Safari?
Hey everyone, Just wanted to let you all know that we released a bugfix today that should solve this problem and make the workaround unnecessary. Additionally if you'd like and you did the workaround before, you can go back into your chrome://flags &nbsp;settings and change it back to "Default". Let us know if any issues with that. Happy gaming!

Edited 1696304239
Titus
Plus
Can confirm DL maps work in iPad Safari again too! Thanks!…
Oh great! Added bonus! Haha.
I wanted to come back to say that I think the reason this didn't work for me is my Hardware Acceleration had been off. Turning it on, everything seems to be fine.&nbsp;