Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How many tokens is too many in a token pack? Do player's value color variety?

Edited 1694967353
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hi there. I'm about to (pending approval) release my first token pack, getting started on the marketplace. I wanted to do an informal poll of how many tokens are expected in a pack, as well as wondering what the upper limit is Roll20 will allow you to sell in one pack. I have 5 unique tokens, and at least 2 of them I plan to have at least 3, possibly about 8 equipped weapon variations. If there's also 6 color variations for each (white, black, green, blue, red, yellow), the total number exceeds 150 pretty quickly. So I'm wondering. 1. How much do people value variety of color options? Is it a nuisance to scroll through? Useful to have? 2. Do players prefer a variety of weapons equipped or poses, vs. color options? 3. Do players or GM's generally prefer a variety of poses and completely unique tokens, vs. color variations and changing equipped weapons? 4. How many tokens are considered the standard upper limit? 5. Have sellers had more, or less success selling a certain amount of tokens per pack? Say, around 50? I'm also considering releasing a pack with less color variations, and then maybe doing a bundle that includes some other packs with all the possible variations for each. I'm not sure if people are into that sort of thing or not. Anyways, any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited 1694989737
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Daniel! Personally speaking, I typically am turned off by excessive color variations on the same base art, and I think 150 variations on 5 base tokens feels excessive. If it helps, there are some color variation guidelines in the Marketplace headquarters  of the Help Center (which were a lot harder to find than they should be). Image Asset Variants We encourage artists to feature a majority of unique assets within their Art Packs. There are times when color variants or alternate versions of a singular map or token may be necessary to add value to an Art Pack (examples: skin/hair/clothing options, day/night/seasonal/weather map variants, gridded and gridless options). That is allowed, but please note that excessive variants that bloat the number of assets within a pack without a proportionate price increase will likely be pushed back by approval staff. 

Edited 1694996442
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Sounds good. Thanks. I'm primarily interested in having weapons equipped variations, so that there's a lot of functional versatility to display the characters equipment in game, within the same pose. But with a lot of weapon variations, that would limit color choices pretty significantly with the multiplier of 6 color variations. I'll see if I can find a balance.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I'd do 2 max 3 color variations if you're also doing weapon variations.