Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Objects on the map layer emit light - is it a bug?

I don't know if it's always been like this, but I discovered it yesterday: In my game, I had indicated that by default tokens emit light on 9m/9m. I then started to create my pages, and found that the light system wasn't working: there was light everywhere. It took me an hour to figure out that it was because of the battlemap: the image, placed on the map layer, emitted light on 9m/9m, so the whole map was illuminated. This is the first time I've seen this. Has this always been the case? When you drag'n drop an image to the map layer, shouldn't it be a drawing rather than a token?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi drloser! Yup, it's always been like that. Both tokens and drawings can emit light. The primary difference between the two is that a drawing doesn't snap to grid or show the token interface. A drawing can even represent a character journal. Both drawings and tokens can exist on any layer.