Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Visibility of GM-controlled token movement measurement.

I need a way that I can measure movement of NPC/monster tokens that the players *cannot* see. Using waypoints (Q key / right-click) reveals the out-of-sight creature's movement to the players. This is not optimal (I hate it). The only choice is to move the monsters to the GM layer, which is has its own issues and a host of inconveniences. I would describe it as painfully and unusably inconvenient, and thus never use it. My suggestion is that, similar to using Q + H Advanced Shortcuts to drawn a line the players cannot see, use the H key to toggle waypoints that the player cannot see, and not reveal creature locations to them. Then you could still use the Q key in cases where you do want them to see the waypoints. Alternatively: GM-controlled tokens simply do not show their measured movement to players unless you hit a hot key, or toggle an option in the Display or Graphics options section to do so. I would prefer this, as I see little reason why players would ever need to see the exact distance a GM-controlled token moved. It's the exception, not the rule. I find it very frustrating that I cannot move out-of-sight mobs accurately without giving away to the players that there are 10 creatures "on the other side of that door", or whatever the situation is.
Gold
Forum Champion
I believe there is a feature for this in the new (UI Redesign opt-in) Measurement Tool. It has a checkmark setting to show or hide your Ruler. I haven't tested it yet myself, but take a look? I really think your Suggestion may be implemented already now, as of recently maybe a couple months ago they introduced that. 
That's the new Measurement Tool, yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I am opted-in to the new UI design. I'm talking about what I think is officially known as " Waypoints ", where you can measure how far a token is moving as you are moving it. This is not the same as measuring a distance separately from movement like what the Measurement Tool does.
Gold
Forum Champion
Eek, thank you for pointing that out. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .