Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Healing Potions (5e)

Hey all, This is probably a dumb question, but in a 5e game, is there any way for a player to just "use a healing potion" and have it automatically roll? It doesn't seem like that's a core function of the 5e sheet. Thanks!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Steven, I'm fairly certain that this would have to be handled with an API mod(Pro level required) like TokenMod (with the player permissions enabled) example; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10157331/using-token-mod-for-healing-potion-macro" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10157331/using-token-mod-for-healing-potion-macro</a>
Hi Steven As a workaround we use a macro in the collections tab, players just add it to their macro bar and click n' select the right potion: &amp;{template:default} {{name=Healing Potion}} {{ &nbsp;?{Potion| &nbsp;Regular, **Healing Potion Used:** [[2d4+2]]| &nbsp;Greater, **Greater Healing Potion Used:** [[4d4+4]]| &nbsp;Superior, **Superior Healing Potion Used:** [[8d4+8]]| &nbsp;Supreme, **Supreme Healing Potion Used:** [[10d4+20]] &nbsp;} &nbsp;HP recovered }}
Gauss
Forum Champion
I just use an attack for Potions of Healing on the D&amp;D 5e by Roll20 sheet.
Gauss said: I just use an attack for Potions of Healing on the D&amp;D 5e by Roll20 sheet. What do you mean by that?
Gauss
Forum Champion
I create an attack like this:&nbsp;
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Sorry, I should have added IF you want the healing to automatically be applied. vÍnce said: Hi Steven, I'm fairly certain that this would have to be handled with an API mod(Pro level required) like TokenMod (with the player permissions enabled) example; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10157331/using-token-mod-for-healing-potion-macro" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10157331/using-token-mod-for-healing-potion-macro</a> @Gauss using an attack for healing is slick and simple. +1
Hi Gauss Genuinely curious since you are wholly to blame for my obsession with a Macro Mule : ))&nbsp; , do you set that attack up on each PC then?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, most PCs acquire potions of healing at some point.&nbsp; Larger potions of healing I only do if they acquire those, but the basic ones are so easy to acquire that I put them on each character sheet by default.

Edited 1700337017
Ahhh, as a wise halfling once said "fair dooz bay, fair dooz"
Gauss, how do you get the ammunition for that to work?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Steven B. (DM) said: Gauss, how do you get the ammunition for that to work? In the equipment I checkmark the "Use As A Resource" box.&nbsp; Then in the attack I put the name of the resource. Fire it once gives it the code.&nbsp; Of course, you have to turn the "Ammo Tracking" on in the sheet's settings and be using the "5th edition OGL by Roll20 Companion" API script
Awesome, thank you!
Alright, another question: I've now added this to three character sheets. The attack and ammo aspects are mostly working fine on all three. I attack, it rolls for me, and it reduces the number of potions by 1. However, on 1 sheet it tells me how many potions I left and warns me when I am out.&nbsp; But on the first 2 sheets I set up, it doesn't. On those two sheets it's deducting the potions, but for some reason it doesn't do the part where it tells me how many left. I can't figure out why. Any ideas?
Gauss
Forum Champion
There are settings in the API script for reporting, I'd check those.&nbsp; I'd also post screenshot of the core page with the attack in edit mode, don't crop it please, include the chat result. Also screenshot the settings for the character please.&nbsp;

Edited 1700436235
Here are screenshots for a character that isn't working. (Now it's 2 out of 6 that seem to work as expected.) Not quite sure what to look for in the API script. If something was wrong there, wouldn't it not work for ANY of the characters?

Edited 1700451447
Gauss
Forum Champion
It looks like there may be a bit of line (as if not all the way scrolled down) below the Potion of Healing roll you made for Jandaelyn, could you enter some lines to force it up and check?&nbsp; Also, you might want to try other attacks, make sure they work. Such as a bow.&nbsp; If the other attacks work on that character then my suggestion is to delete the Potion of Healing entry, delete the attack, delete the consumable, and try again.&nbsp;
Gauss said: It looks like there may be a bit of line (as if not all the way scrolled down) below the Potion of Healing roll you made for Jandaelyn, could you enter some lines to force it up and check?&nbsp; Also, you might want to try other attacks, make sure they work. Such as a bow.&nbsp; If the other attacks work on that character then my suggestion is to delete the Potion of Healing entry, delete the attack, delete the consumable, and try again.&nbsp; Checked this, there wasn't anything there, so it wasn't just a scrolling issue. :( Other attacks seem to work as expected, although I haven't been using ammo. Were you suggesting I try a bow to check that arrow ammo is procced correctly?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, I suggest setting up a bow attack and testing to see if that works.&nbsp;
Gauss said: Yes, I suggest setting up a bow attack and testing to see if that works.&nbsp; For this character, a bow attack behaves the same way as the healing potion. Count of ammunition decreases as expected, but API does not display the count or warn you when you're out of ammo. I even went so far as to check all of the settings on the character sheets between a character for whom this works and one for whom it doesn't, and they are identical. So, I'm at a loss!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Steven, how about turning the ammo switch in the settings off, closing out the character, hard re fresh, then turning it back on. See what happens?

Edited 1700599252
Gauss said: Steven, how about turning the ammo switch in the settings off, closing out the character, hard re fresh, then turning it back on. See what happens? Just so I'm clear, what do you mean by "hard refresh" as compared to just a normal F5? (If it's just a normal refresh, tried it, no change in behavior.)
<a href="https://fabricdigital.co.nz/blog/how-to-hard-refresh-your-browser-and-clear-cache#:~:text=Chrome%20and%20Mac%3A,click%20the%20'R'%20key" rel="nofollow">https://fabricdigital.co.nz/blog/how-to-hard-refresh-your-browser-and-clear-cache#:~:text=Chrome%20and%20Mac%3A,click%20the%20'R'%20key</a>. A hard refresh also clears out the browser cache at the same time, to make sure you're not having any issues from saved files. Another troubleshooting step would be to open the game in a private/incognito browsing window, to make sure no browser extensions are causing issues.
Yep, still no love. I've been running in Edge. Turned off ammo, closed character, hard refresh, turned on ammo. Same results. Tried it with incognito as well. I tried it in Chrome as well. All same behavior. :(
Gauss
Forum Champion
There may be a bug with those characters, try copying one of them and see if the copy works correctly (after re-setting up the ammo line).
Gauss said: There may be a bug with those characters, try copying one of them and see if the copy works correctly (after re-setting up the ammo line). What's the easiest way to copy a character?

Edited 1700603995
Gauss
Forum Champion
Edit the character, hit the Duplicate button. Just make sure that afterwards you make a new attack with a new ammo line for testing.&nbsp; Alternately, send me an invite to your game and I can do some poking around.&nbsp;
Gauss said: Edit the character, hit the Duplicate button. Just make sure that afterwards you make a new attack with a new ammo line for testing.&nbsp; Alternately, send me an invite to your game and I can do some poking around.&nbsp; I'll try duplicating tonight. In the meantime, I PMed you a link to the game. Feel free to play around. Jandaeyln is an example of a character who isn't working. I think Beiric works fine.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Fixed the problem.&nbsp; Did some of these characters come from a different campaign?
Gauss said: Fixed the problem.&nbsp; Did some of these characters come from a different campaign? Yes! You know, I was thinking of mentioning that, but I was pretty sure that Jandaelyn did NOT come from another campaign, so I had (apparently mistakenly) ruled that out. What exactly was the problem? And thank you!!

Edited 1700620311
Gauss
Forum Champion
It was one of the settings for the ammo script. Appears some of the characters were set to quiet and some were not set to quiet. The only way I can think that would happen is if some of them were from another adventure where they were set to a different setting, but I am not an API script coder so I don't know for sure.&nbsp; I set the script (which sets all of them) to "player" which means it reports it to the player and to the GM, nobody else, thus preventing spam for everyone else.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I also set up all my character's available healing as an attack. I wish there was a separate section for it, because I like this implementation. I just try to sort it so the healing items end up on the bottom.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tiffany M. said: I also set up all my character's available healing as an attack. I wish there was a separate section for it, because I like this implementation. I just try to sort it so the healing items end up on the bottom. You can absolutely do that in a macro.&nbsp; One of my players has like 5 healing options, I set up a Chat Menu &nbsp;with each healing option set up as a macro referenced in that chat menu.&nbsp; If you would like to set that up I can walk you through it.