Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Spells cast from "Attacks and Spellcasting" aren't reducing spell slots

Edited 1701927481
Stik
Pro
This is a continuation of a topic of the same name from 2 years ago here .  I just noticed this is occurring for my players using the 5e OGL sheet and the  5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion mod.  I've confirmed that spelltracking is on. In the previous topic thread it was suggested that this is intentional behavior due to some spell attacks being repeatable without recasting the spell (Spiritual Weapon was one example). keithcurtis commented that: "That actually makes sense, and is a good explanation for something that has mystified me." However, Oosh made the last entry to the thread stating: "They're deducting just fine for me, from either the repeating attacks section (Core tab) or the spells section. The script triggers on the dmg and atkdmg templates, but not on the atk template. The only other things that should stop the spell slot function firing are: - spelltracking setting (already covered above) - no spell level digit found in the roll template, e.g.  {{spelllevel=}} " As I mentioned, I've confirmed that spelltracking is on and I would assume that the roll template is correct as all spells have been added to the sheets either by dragging them from the Compendium or using Charactermancer. Since there were no other entries after Oosh's, can anyone confirm either of the two scenarios as being correct?

Edited 1701943081
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Stik,  Here are some possibilities:  1) Can you please verify that the sandbox has not crashed? That is often a cause of this happening.  Aside from going to the sandbox and checking, APIHeartBeat is a good way to make sure it hasn't crashed midgame.  2) Is there anything in the "innate" slot when you edit the spell? That will prevent (correctly) the spell from deducting anything.  3) Are you using the attack to cast the spell or the spell to cast the spell? Sometimes the attack gets disconnected from the spell.  4) Are people clicking the title of the spell, or are they clicking the chat bubble?  The chat bubble is a description of the spell, it does not actually "Cast" the spell for the purpose of the spell tracking. Edit: To confirm, is it deducting but not reporting? Or not deducting at all?  Have you tried the following command?  !spelltracking  on

Edited 1701947943
Stik
Pro
Thanks for the quick reply, Gauss. 1) through 4) were previously tested and confirmed was correct. 1) Sandbox fine, 2) no innate edits, 3) attack to cast spells, and 4) N/A since I was only clicking on the attack list. However in the in the process of rechecking I discover that this was my mistake while testing some things unrelated to this issue using one of my players character sheets. Spells that required an ability check when cast were working correctly.  It was only melee attack spell that weren't working because because I have the sheets set to "Don't Auto Roll Damage" and since this was just me testing something else and I didn't care about what the damage roll was, I was neglecting to trigger the damage by clicking in the Attack Roll box in the chat.  I hadn't used anything but melee attack spells and jumped to the conclusion that all spells weren't working.  Once I realized that spells with an ability checks were working (which auto roll damage regardless of the Auto Damage Roll setting) I realized my mistake. Thanks again for the suggestions, your comment about "chat bubble" was what triggered me to realize that I'd missed triggering the damage in the chat. It's all good.