Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

nWoD Macro

Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Howdy, I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to do nWoD dice rolls in an easy dynamic macro. The best I've been able to come up with is adding each formula per die amount. I.E. I have "/r {2d10!}>8" saved as Macro #2 and have the macro bar turned on with 0,1,2,3,4, etc running along the bottom of the screen with the macro bar so all they have to do is click on the number of dice they want to roll. However, this doesn't help situations where the dice explode on 9/8 or 1's take away successes. What I'd really like is if I could create a formula like "/r {#d10!}>8" that I could somehow insert a number of dice into dynamically. Either to be prompted to fill in the variable or to add it into the roll macro like "#norm 3" would would roll "/r {3d10!}>8" or "#9A 5" would roll "/r {5d10>9}>8". I have a very tech light group of players and the more I could stream line the process the better.
I had the same problem, and asked on here a few months ago. The word I was given is that Roll20 doesn't support that kind of dynamic macro. I ended up just making #Roll1, #Roll2, #Roll3, etc. macros. If I need a different roll, I type it out in quotation marks for my players so they can copy it. Sorry I can't help you more than that. I would like to see dynamic macros for nWoD, too.
Well right now it doesn't work. The Devs are working on an API for Roll20 I suppose once that goes live it should work (but I have no idea how far out that is. I think I remember them saying they're close to putting it on the Dev server, but I could be wrong). So far there's no other choice than make seperate macros for "9 again" and "8 again" rolls. But from what I know about they system those rolls are pretty specific and rare, so you could just ask the players to make those special macros themselves.
Gauss
Forum Champion
One workaround people use is to use an attribute for the variable and then link the attribute to a token.  /r {@var1 d10!>@var2 }>@var3 without the spaces inside the brackets Change the attributes as desired via the token It still wont cover the 1's element but at least you can change the number of dice rolled, what dice explode on, or success numbers - Gauss
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks Gauss. I came across this same suggestion in my search and tried it out. It works okay. What I did is I set up a Chance, Normal, 9 Again, 8 Again, and -1 Macro; with each one using a dynamic number of dice based on a value on the token associated with a player. So, the player puts the number of dice in their bubble and then clicks the button for the type of roll they want to do. I also left 1-10 macros because their quicker and the most commonly used.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Stephen, I would also try a 'variable token' with associated character sheet. Assign it to everyone. You can use Attributes from any character sheet in your Macros.  - Gauss
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
How do you link an attribute to a token?
MeMeMe, if you go into the tokens settings (click on the token, then click on the gear bubble that flies out), you have the option to set the token to represent a character.  There's a drop down box that says "Represents Character" which will list all the characters that you've made entries for in the journals tab.  Once you select someone, you'll see dropdown boxes show up next to all three bars on the right hand side.  You can then assign an attribute from that character you picked.  This links it so that when you change something on the token OR on the journal, it changes on the other one.   If you haven't added any attributes to the character's journal, the only thing in the list will be "none."