Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Adding existing characters to other games

Apologies if there is a topic on this somewhere already but i haven't posted too many questions here.  In regards to the adding of characters in other campaigns why is it now that when i do everything that was saved on them is now completely reset like levels, items etc. I used to move characters between campaigns and this stuff had saved in the past. Is there something i am missing in this process?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi DM,  Could you provide screenshots showing what is going on? 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
When transferring characters between games, both games must be using the same character sheet. Some games have multiple sheets, and theyll save information differently and wont recognise information that isn't designed for them. The information is still there on the sheet (and may be visible on the Attributes list on Attributes & Abilities tab), it's just not displayed on the character sheet. If the game you want to transfer a sheet to uses a different character sheet, the absolute bestt hing to do is create a new character in that campaign, and manually copy any information from the old campaign. This is a pain but it's the best way. There's no way to copy the characters directly.
Hey, Thanks for the response. I checked the differences and they do both use the same sheet. It is a shame that i need to start over with the character but thats fine. I am largely using these characters as cameo appearences in a variety of different ways for my players.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If they use the same sheet, you shouldn't need to start over. But given we don't know what's happening, that is the safest approach.

Edited 1706213962
Gauss
Forum Champion
DM,  It would help troubleshoot this if you could provide screenshots showing the before and after and steps to reproduce this. Right now, it isn't entire clear what is going on. 
Hi Guys,  Sorry about the late response. I can post some screenshots later. But decided to test this with something else. I added an old copy of a character i saved in my vault created in the original campaign and i got the same resultt in which the characters starts from level one again. 

Edited 1706711906
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What level was the character when it was placed in the vault?