Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Showing global conditions (e.g., active spells)

I'm looking for a solution to show globally-active conditions on the map. For example, one of the characters in my game regularly casts Inspire Courage, which in PF2e has a very large radius that's almost always big enough to be irrelevant. I don't want to give him an aura that will wash out the whole map, so what I'd like to do instead is to put a marker somewhere on the map that shows the thing is active for the players.  I've thought about using cards, but then I'm going to run into dynamic lighting problems. I'd rather not have to customize every map to make this possible. Does anybody have any clever solution they've used?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Aaron! Some ideas: 1) Put it on the turn tracker, regardless of whether there is combat going on 2) Put it on a universal token macro button (A collections macro, set to be a token action, with permissions given to All Players). This will display whenever any token is selected. 3) Use the Raise Hand script, if you are not already. This will cause avatar color of the player who activated it to cycle for the duration.
Thanks for the ideas! I thought of using the turn tracker, but this is normally relevant in combat and if I add something there it will move around. The goal here is to make it easy for the players to quickly glance at whatever it is and see what's active. Any per-token thing has the same issue; the idea is that these are global  effects, not things affecting specific characters. If it were the latter, I'd use condition icons on the tokens. 
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
In your circumstance I would put a Token Marker on every affected token using a TokenMod macro, possibly using MetaScripts too. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Aaron said: Thanks for the ideas! I thought of using the turn tracker, but this is normally relevant in combat and if I add something there it will move around. The goal here is to make it easy for the players to quickly glance at whatever it is and see what's active. Any per-token thing has the same issue; the idea is that these are global  effects, not things affecting specific characters. If it were the latter, I'd use condition icons on the tokens.  #2 is global. It is one action that displays when any token is selected. You could do the same with a regular macro bar macro, but you would need to convince your players to display it in their bars, and you could control visibility by editing the name. #3 is global as well, so long as the player area is visible (which requires hacks to make invisible, anyway).