Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Large campaign issues posting to help Roll20 team and perhaps others

Hello, I have spoke back and forth with "TheAaron" and "KeithCurtis" about issues related to my large game. I have found ways to work around my issues with their assistance and just trial and error.  I love the roll20 system and the great folks that have assisted me so much in the past that I wanted to share some issues that have occurred in my long running game that has now been in play for several years. Here are a few of the things that are happening to me with my game that is around 450 pages running three scripts.  1.  My game will not copy with the auto system for copying your campaign. It tries to copy it for a second or two and then just says complete but it is blank. It takes some extra work but through transmogrification you can copy it file by file.  2.  Scripts fail due to a looping error that has caused me to create a library game and what I call the battle board for the playable game. This was suggested by the gents above and a few others and works just fine it just requires transmogrification of whatever your doing from the library game to the battle board in order to use  the scripts since they fail due to the large game causing the looping error. If you do not use scripts everything should work fine even with a large game.  3.  The third issue is much more difficult to manage and it happens about 1 in 3 times when I transmogrify a handout and on occasion a character sheet that will just not transmogrify at all. The system will appear to transmogrify the page to the other smaller game but in the top display bar 1 in 3 times it is blank or the character sheet just does not appear. There is a work around I have found that if I change the page name to say "111111" (since that will make it appear at the top of the transmogrify list) then it transmogrifies perfectly fine and I can then just change the page name back and all is well.  I realize the amount of people that have games that are hundreds of pages are likely few overall but I still figured I would post this to help others and the roll20 team with what I have seen. Respectfully submitted   Ara
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Aramathis! You might want to test point number 3 again. There have been issues with the Transmogrifier over the past week that have theoretically been solved. (Basically, a problematic upgrade was installed, found to be faulty, and rolled back.)
Thanks Keith I will do that!  I can tell you this that what I did with the corrupted blank files that would not delete is rename them broken then archive them. I will check that out!

Edited 1707985104
With regards to infinite loop errors in large games. It helps to refactor the code with burndowns and a log statement in the loop. Note that i do not have any inside information, but i only see one plausible manner to implement infinite loop detection. Every time the sandbox calls user code,    it registers the current timestamp. There is a separate process that measures the time since the last registered timestamps and if too long: ‘kill -9 sandbox’ and report the error. When the code calls some of the sandbox functions, those sandbox functions also update the timestamp. Feel free to correct me.
Hey Martijin, I chatted with you before in the past as I recall. If your suggestion would fix I hope they take a look at what your saying. Myself, I am not a coder but thanks for weighing in.