Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Calling all Sheet Developers

More and more games are coming out each year and this year is no different. Last year alone, you, the sheet developer community, created 48 sheets that were published on Roll20 VTT but the industry as a whole brought over 2,000 games to market. We recognize that you all are an essential part of our mission to support more games and diversify the games that people play. Last year, we worked on developing a Software Development Kit (SDK) that will make it easier for sheet developers to make more high-powered sheets.  Currently in order to build a sheet, Sheet Developers are expected to work with sheet workers that, not only, restrict how they structure character data but also restrict how much of the sheet’s DOM with which they can interact. This restrictive sandbox enforces a specific way of building/using sheets that is not very intuitive or beginner-friendly. The Beacon SDK, on the other hand, allows us to decouple the sheets from relying on this restrictive sandbox. With the Beacon SDK, you can now allow sheets to run as self-contained applications. This allows you, the Sheet developers, to have full control over how your sheets are built, such as through using Vue, React, or another framework. No longer do you need to rely on sheetworkers to update the sheet’s DOM or to handle character data changes, this can now be handled directly by the sheet.  The Beacon SDK also introduces a new format for character data that better structures and groups attributes together, so no need to prepend `repeating_`  to attribute names to properly track repeating sections. The Beacon SDK will now allow you much more control over how your data is structured so it better fits your sheet’s game. You can see how we’ve used the Beacon SDK so far in our previous releases over the last year. Coyote & Crow, Marvel, Candela Obscura, and the Community Preview: Pathfinder Second Edition Remaster sheets were all created as Vue applications running the Beacon SDK. These, along with some other changes to come will open up a wide range of possibilities that were previously unavailable with character sheets.  This year, we’re ready to start the next phase of the Beacon SDK; that’s where you come in. We want to hear from you about what’s not working today with the current system and what you’d like to see when we release Beacon SDK to everyone. If you’re interested, use the sign-up link to find a time to talk with us directly about what you would like to see. Closed Beta We know that some of the best feedback you can give will only come after you’ve had a chance to play around with the Beacon SDK. So, we’re looking to move quickly to get Beacon SDK out to you all. In the next month, look for the Closed Beta announcement where you will be able to get early access to the tool kit. If you sign up for an early feedback session now you will also be added to the closed beta list to be considered for closed beta testing. After we’ve worked through the feedback provided during the Closed Beta, we’ll release the full SDK along with documentation, tutorials, and other helpful resources that will make creating sheets on Roll20 much easier than it is today. There’s More to Come We have a lot of plans for the future of the Beacon SDK and other developer tools. That future is shaped by you and your feedback. Thank you for being a part of our community by improving the product with us. We couldn’t do it without you. Sign up for a focus group
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm very interested in this, but have a medical condition that means I can't sign for anything (or know if I can attend specific times) more than a few days in advance. Please provide a way for us to access whatever is revealed.

Edited 1709674092
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Roll20 added character sheets , then roll templates , then repeating sections , then sheetworkers/js , then CSE , and now... BEACON ™. No doubt, this will be a HUGE advancement for roll20's character sheets. I'm excited for what this opens up for sheet developers but also a little intimidated... It took me a long while to come around to feeling "comfortable" using roll20's sheetworkers/javascript (thanks to Scott, GiGs, and others), but I'm still a long way from being confident. On the surface, the new system sounds like it's primarily geared toward programmers, or rather those people that posses a much deeper understanding of javascript and/or general programming concepts. Curious to see how this will impact new or beginning sheet builders since this will definitely raise the bar on sheet expectations.  ;-) Although I've edited and created roll20 sheets for (too) many years, I'm not sure I'm qualified for this focus group, but I am looking forward to learning and exploring what Beacon makes available.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
vÍnce said: On the surface, the new system sounds like it's primarily geared toward programmers, or rather those people that posses a much deeper understanding of javascript and/or general programming concepts. Curious to see how this will impact new or beginning sheet builders since this will definitely raise the bar on sheet expectations.  ;-) That's a valid concern, but I'm wondering if it only appears to be targeted at programmers/webdesigners, because those will have the most useful initial feedback. I am hoping it will be as accessible as other techniques in the future, but that's just guessing - I'm keen to see what it will actually look like.
vÍnce said: On the surface, the new system sounds like it's primarily geared toward programmers, or rather those people that posses a much deeper understanding of javascript and/or general programming concepts. Curious to see how this will impact new or beginning sheet builders since this will definitely raise the bar on sheet expectations.  ;-) Although I've edited and created roll20 sheets for (too) many years, I'm not sure I'm qualified for this focus group, but I am looking forward to learning and exploring what Beacon makes available. Hey Vince, I'd LOVE your feedback on this. In fact, I need it. In order to better build a system that suits many different skill levels, I think it'll be essential to talk with people of many different skill levels. I encourage you to sign up. We'll talk about how we can make what we're planning easy to use.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Booked.
i'm still new the sheet developing world, i only use a custom script right now for my games but id be happy to see any features, tips and ticks
David
Sheet Author
Will this mean that at some point the current sandbox system will be phased out?
Looks interesting, however, I also have a concern, you are moving to a new more modern framework, good, however it is still primarily aimed at people with a dev background who understand web technologies. It is far from user friendly, I think you would get many more character sheets built if you provided something like a code light/WYSIWYG editor to allow more users to contribute.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
While that might be so. Building a wysiwyg is extraordinarily complicated. Additionally, this actually makes it possible for the community (or roll20) to build such a thing.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: While that might be so. Building a wysiwyg is extraordinarily complicated. Additionally, this actually makes it possible for the community (or roll20) to build such a thing. I nominate Scott. All in favor? ;-P
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
vÍnce said: Scott C. said: While that might be so. Building a wysiwyg is extraordinarily complicated. Additionally, this actually makes it possible for the community (or roll20) to build such a thing. I nominate Scott. All in favor? ;-P I might be planning something ;)
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: vÍnce said: Scott C. said: While that might be so. Building a wysiwyg is extraordinarily complicated. Additionally, this actually makes it possible for the community (or roll20) to build such a thing. I nominate Scott. All in favor? ;-P I might be planning something ;) Scott... we need to remove your "Sheet Author" badge as you are not really creating sheets anymore. You need the "Sheet Author Author" badge because you are / going to be the author behind the technologi that allows other Sheet Authors to build sheets! From all your recent updates it seems like you spend more time building tools and frameworks, than actually building sheets :D I very much look forward to see what you bring to the table!
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew Searles said: vÍnce said: On the surface, the new system sounds like it's primarily geared toward programmers, or rather those people that posses a much deeper understanding of javascript and/or general programming concepts. Curious to see how this will impact new or beginning sheet builders since this will definitely raise the bar on sheet expectations.  ;-) Although I've edited and created roll20 sheets for (too) many years, I'm not sure I'm qualified for this focus group, but I am looking forward to learning and exploring what Beacon makes available. Hey Vince, I'd LOVE your feedback on this. In fact, I need it. In order to better build a system that suits many different skill levels, I think it'll be essential to talk with people of many different skill levels. I encourage you to sign up. We'll talk about how we can make what we're planning easy to use. I whole heartedly agree with Vince here. I hope BEACON will be user friendly as in a low bar to entry. I completely understand the want and need to support React / Vue, but for me this is way more than I asked for. In my day job I am a backend developer that knows basic HTML and CSS, and never really jumped into Javascript. It was only when I started working on sheets, that I actually took the time to learn Javascript better, all for the sake of Roll20. I have only been able to make what I have, by having a professional team of frontenders at works, where I can ask "How do I copy an object in javascript?" and get a easy to implement answer. (All of this was before the raise of AI) I have never delved into web technologies and honest do not want to as I know how much the frontenders at my work complain about all the frameworks. To me vanilla javascript is enough, as it keeps the learning domain limited, while having high functionality. Sheetworkers was the perfect jumping on point for me and I am comfortable staying here. I hope the BEACON SDK will allow for more powerful usage of basic javascript. I will definitely signup for a talk so share my views with you directly. I have wanted to do that for so long, so I will not miss this great opportunity!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Peter B. said: Scott C. said: vÍnce said: Scott C. said: While that might be so. Building a wysiwyg is extraordinarily complicated. Additionally, this actually makes it possible for the community (or roll20) to build such a thing. I nominate Scott. All in favor? ;-P I might be planning something ;) Scott... we need to remove your "Sheet Author" badge as you are not really creating sheets anymore. You need the "Sheet Author Author" badge because you are / going to be the author behind the technologi that allows other Sheet Authors to build sheets! From all your recent updates it seems like you spend more time building tools and frameworks, than actually building sheets :D I very much look forward to see what you bring to the table! Heh, thanks for the compliment! I still publish sheets quite a bit, but I'm mostly doing commissions for publishers.

Edited 1710426047
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andrew Searles said: This allows you, the Sheet developers, to have full control over how your sheets are built, such as through using Vue, React, or another framework. No longer do you need to rely on sheetworkers to update the sheet’s DOM or to handle character data changes, this can now be handled directly by the sheet. Well, I've been mostly lurking for the last year or so, since I don't VTT or write Roll20 code anymore, but this sounds extremely cool. Being able to use a Vue/TS environment for developing sheets would remove a huge amount of pain (and enable some very, very cool things). If only I had time to write a character sheet :( Peter B. said: To me vanilla javascript is enough, as it keeps the learning domain limited, while having high functionality. Sheetworkers was the perfect jumping on point for me and I am comfortable staying here. I hope the BEACON SDK will allow for more powerful usage of basic javascript If the above is true, and sheet authors can go wild with frameworks and custom components.... it'll be pretty great for the community. The ability to develop custom components that other people can throw straight into their code is extremely cool. Want nested repeating sections? If Beacon is released and Roll20 don't have a native implementation within a week, I promise I'll write you a component that does it, if only to make a point to your front end developers who don't believe in frameworks :D Of course, you'd need to use Vue to be able to use the custom component.... But hey, these changes aren't going to force you to use a framework, just making it possible. You can still hand-roll every @click event if you want to! @Andrew out of interest, are you suggesting R20 might do the build step for popular frameworks? Or a Vue/React project would need to be compiled before being submitted to the sheet repo? I'm assuming the latter... but maybe you've got some super clever pipeline in the works for the more popular frameworks. I'm dreaming here, aren't I? Too many combinations of libraries....
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's nice to see you again, Oosh. Oosh said: Want nested repeating sections? If Beacon is released and Roll20 don't have a native implementation within a week, I promise I'll write you a component that does it, I'll be waiting!
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Oosh said:   Want nested repeating sections? If Beacon is released and Roll20 don't have a native implementation within a week, I promise I'll write you a component that does it, if only to make a point to your front end developers who don't believe in frameworks :D If you can make nested repeating sections, then I might just learn Vue just to use that! I have been waiting for that for very long! 

Edited 1710529742
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Peter B. said: Oosh said:   Want nested repeating sections? If Beacon is released and Roll20 don't have a native implementation within a week, I promise I'll write you a component that does it, if only to make a point to your front end developers who don't believe in frameworks :D If you can make nested repeating sections, then I might just learn Vue just to use that! I have been waiting for that for very long!  If only Roll20 was able to handle nested repeating sections... To anyone that appreciates having the option to organize/categorize the repeating elements on their character sheets, please toss a vote and a comment if can; Nested Repeating Sections (8 years and counting)
vÍnce said: Peter B. said: Oosh said:   Want nested repeating sections? If Beacon is released and Roll20 don't have a native implementation within a week, I promise I'll write you a component that does it, if only to make a point to your front end developers who don't believe in frameworks :D If you can make nested repeating sections, then I might just learn Vue just to use that! I have been waiting for that for very long!  If only Roll20 was able to handle nested repeating sections... To anyone that appreciates having the option to organize/categorize the repeating elements on their character sheets, please toss a vote and a comment if can; Nested Repeating Sections (8 years and counting) You can absolutely make your own nested repeating sections in Vue!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nora C. said: You can absolutely make your own nested repeating sections in Vue! What a tease! How long till that's available to us?
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
GiGs said: Nora C. said: You can absolutely make your own nested repeating sections in Vue! What a tease! How long till that's available to us? We get the beta keys in April!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Nora C. said: You can absolutely make your own nested repeating sections in Vue!
Hey GiGs, GiGs said: What a tease! How long till that's available to us? I just wanted to provide an update here. Our original target was to give access to the Closed Beta for Beacon starting at the beginning of April however, we've gotten some initial feedback that has confirmed we need more time to get a few more things right before we release this for Closed Beta. Those things include better documentation, security testing, and simpler example sheets for all different skill levels. Fortunately, we've already started work on that stuff and have been making progress in March. Unfortunately, we didn't meet our goal for the beginning of April. We're still targeting the end of April (to meet our promise of "in April"), but it's going to be close. I'll keep you all updated with how it's going. If this delay negatively affects any of your current planned projects, PLEASE get with me ASAP and we'll work something out.&nbsp;<a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/beacon-sdk-feedback-session" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/beacon-sdk-feedback-session</a> Sorry for the delay, but SUPER excited for the result! &nbsp;
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thank you for the update.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew Searles said: Sorry for the delay, but SUPER excited for the result! &nbsp; Not nearly as excited as we are to see it! Secret rolls here I come! Yippee!
I can Help to create sheet for player but i will not pay for helping, if you give the tool free i will be able to do sheet in french and english (Version of Shadowrun 3th 4th 5th 6th edidition, D20 Chuthu mythos, and other game. (french explanation:) Le problème&nbsp; c'est que j'ai pas le budget pour payer pour créer des outils pour la communauté, je peut traduire des feuilles en créer mais je vaut pas payer pour travailler. J'ai déjà indiqué quelque version que je peut faire....&nbsp; Richard Créateur du jeu Nexus (en Création D&amp;d compatible 5e)
Hey Richard, Richard L said: I can Help to create sheet for player but i will not pay for helping, if you give the tool free i will be able to do sheet in french and english (Version of Shadowrun 3th 4th 5th 6th edidition, D20 Chuthu mythos, and other game. (french explanation:) Le problème&nbsp; c'est que j'ai pas le budget pour payer pour créer des outils pour la communauté, je peut traduire des feuilles en créer mais je vaut pas payer pour travailler. J'ai déjà indiqué quelque version que je peut faire....&nbsp; Richard Créateur du jeu Nexus (en Création D&amp;d compatible 5e) I have some good news for you, for the closed beta there is going to be an application form to fill out. In that application form, you'll need to provide the Roll20 user account that you would like to use as your development account. For this account, we'll flag it as a "Sheet Developer" account and that will give you access to the custom sheet sandboxes on both Roll20 Tabletop and in Roll20 Characters. This means that account won't need to be a pro account anymore to develop sheets. I'll let you all know when we're ready to release the Close Beta.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andrew Searles said: I have some good news for you, for the closed beta there is going to be an application form to fill out. In that application form, you'll need to provide the Roll20 user account that you would like to use as your development account. For this account, we'll flag it as a "Sheet Developer" account and that will give you access to the custom sheet sandboxes on both Roll20 Tabletop and in Roll20 Characters. This means that account won't need to be a pro account anymore to develop sheets. I'll let you all know when we're ready to release the Close Beta. That's very interesting. Is that just for the closed beta of the new system, or will it be something that you keep around more generally?
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
GiGs said: Andrew Searles said: This means that account won't need to be a pro account anymore to develop sheets. That's very interesting. Is that just for the closed beta of the new system, or will it be something that you keep around more generally? Yes will this continue after go-live? I am honestly only paying to develop character sheets so if I can continue to do for free then I would be super happy!

Edited 1713282944
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
Hey GiGs and Peter, We're hoping to test the idea during Closed Beta to see if that's an acceptable solution. Basically, this could look like a permanent application to sign up to be a sheet developer. I mean we won't take it out of the Pro tier so it will still be a benefit for that tier. This application process does have a few drawbacks internally for us that we want to experiment with, BUT I can say we don't want to continue to charge sheet developers to help us in our mission to support all roleplaying games digitally so if this doesn't work, we'll try something else.&nbsp; Ultimately, no promises, just good intentions but making things better.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew Searles said: Hey GiGs and Peter, Hey Andrew. A very technical question for you: The new Pathfinder character sheet can use the &lt;details&gt; html element in its roll templates, which is currently not possible today on Roll20. Will Jumpgate support this, or will BEACON support it? Or is the usage of &lt;datails&gt; unique to the Roll20 Characters environment?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Details/Summary would be a great addition for roll templates.&nbsp; Yes please!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd like to see those tags available on Mod scripts, for that matter.

Edited 1714568577
Orchal
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi, I'm not really sure to understand the "self-contained application" concept. Does it means that if we want to build Beacon sheets, these won't be included as is in the VTT but in a different tab on our browser? If so, how sheets will be displayed on the VTT, especially for the GM? Sheets will be open in a new tab, like when we detach sheets currently? I suppose then that every rolls will be synchronized with the VTT? I do like the rolls history by the way, just for the player, pretty cool! To be fair, I think having the option to build kind of sheet applications is pretty cool, even if it requires developer skills, it allow more creativity for people who have time and desire to involve. As long as older sheets are still available in long term. I don't think people will recreate, at least at the beginning, as many as sheets with the Beacon SDK, so if the plan is, at some point, to remove the current system, you might lose a lot of "games support". I don't know what's your ultimate plan, but making a Beacon sheet creator to help people create Vue/React (or whatever) awesome sheets seems quite ambitious. The best start would probably be as mentioned a documentation with basic examples, exactly like it exists currently. For sure, develop with a javascript framework will be something interesting for actual devs or for those who want to learn a framework because they are attracted with the job. You will probably lose people that only makes custom sheets (not published) and don't really have a knowledge and skills in development. I have a friend of mine that I helped to make a custom sheet for a custom rpg, and I can tell that he probably won't commit in a Beacon sheet creation. He does not have big problems to make HTML/CSS content (although he doesn't have that much good practises), but he struggles a little bit on sheet workers. He manages to achieve his goals with examples and help, but learning a javascript framework is on another level. In the end, I really suggest to "never" get rid off the current way of making character sheets until you are able to really give a user friendly app to create a complete sheet. I mean, like having a complete app with options which create the code in background. I think this is pretty huge, I'm not really sure that is the thing I would love to see released prior to other improvements/features at the moment. However, I'm really excited to test the SDK and will probably sign for the closed beta, even if the game I cover is not that much famous :D By the way, thank you for all the work done there and thank you, the community, because I think the community contribute a lot to make roll20 a very good VTT for everyone!

Edited 1714488398
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I am curious how Beacon-based sheets are going to be handled in regards to the existing 1200+ sheets made and maintained over the last 11+ years?&nbsp; Will we be allowed to created a Beacon-based sheet alongside the existing sheet(s) or are we aiming for a replacement?
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
vÍnce said: I am curious how Beacon-based sheets are going to be handled in regards to the existing 1200+ sheets made and maintained over the last 11+ years?&nbsp; Will we be allowed to created a Beacon-based sheet alongside the existing sheet(s) or are we aiming for a replacement? As far as I have been told, BEACON will have its own repository and be completely independent from the existing sheets.
Rich R.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Just curious, since it's the end of the month today, has there been an update on the estimated date for the Beacon beta?