Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

The Jumpgate Beta for Pro Users Has Arrived!

TheMarkus1204 said: Riley, are there plans to make the new compendium more compact? Is it mostly the number of entries visible at a time without scrolling that's the issue?
The @{selected|hp} syntax now works for roll queries.  However, appears that this did not fix the related API Selected Token issue. Issue: Selected Token(s) id is not passed to the API for Mod scripts.   Thanks, Will
Cannot edit text in Jumpgate? It recognizes text (font dialog, etc.) but I cannot edit it. And it makes a hash out of text in games dropped in to jump gate.
Maps don't have the scroll bar on the right side next to the chat box like they used to.  Is that intentional? 
Will M. said: The @{selected|hp} syntax now works for roll queries.  However, appears that this did not fix the related API Selected Token issue. Issue: Selected Token(s) id is not passed to the API for Mod scripts.   Thanks, Will Yep we're tracking that as a separate issue, hoping to fix that first thing next week. Have a bead on it.
JASON H. said: Maps don't have the scroll bar on the right side next to the chat box like they used to.  Is that intentional?  So the old version of Roll20 actually relied on the browser's scroll bars to do scrolling. Jumpgate is more of a "free floating" rendering system (that's what allows us to do things like let you pan the map around way past the edges and put things beside the map). The downside to this is that there are no more scrollbars...you can use right-click and drag to pan around, use the pan tool, or use the scroll wheel still. We've gotten some feedback about this already and would welcome more though. Is this making it hard for you to navigate the map? 
John S. said: Cannot edit text in Jumpgate? It recognizes text (font dialog, etc.) but I cannot edit it. And it makes a hash out of text in games dropped in to jump gate. Hmmm that's weird. Do you have a link to the game where this is happening you can PM to me?
vÍnce said: Is Drawing still snaps to grid; setting a token to 'Advanced Transform|Is Drawing', the token still snaps to the grid instead of allowing free-form resizing. (Linux w/FF) Just to be clear it's just doing that with the resizing not the movement? That's what I'm seeing but just want to be sure that matches your experience as well.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: vÍnce said: Is Drawing still snaps to grid; setting a token to 'Advanced Transform|Is Drawing', the token still snaps to the grid instead of allowing free-form resizing. (Linux w/FF) Just to be clear it's just doing that with the resizing not the movement? That's what I'm seeing but just want to be sure that matches your experience as well. Resize(w/mouse + resize handles) and Movement(w/directional arrows) are snapping to the grid even when the token "Is Drawing".  I would expect resize would be "free-form" and Movement to "incrementally move" like using ALT+<ARROW KEYS>, or maybe not move at all...

Edited 1711664889
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
1. Token Settings>"Show Tooltip" option gets reset; resets to unchecked after setting and saving a linked characters default token settings when you drag/drop a new instance to the vtt.  Also; 2. Token Settings>"Auras" option gets reset; 3. Token Settings>"Token Markers" get reset; All other token settings "stick" including the Tooltip text. (Linux w/FF) These save in non-jumpgate games. UPDATE: #2,#3 started working for me.

Edited 1711666609
We ran a 5E game and it wasn't a complete fiasco. Just mostly a fiasco. Players couldn't see the token buttons associated with their token, they saw the buttons associated with the current token at the top of the initiative list. I think that something similar was happening with macros generating rolls for selected characters, as the bonuses added to rolls did not relate to the character selected. One player only saw a blank map with white spots where there was a light source. As a GM, I sometimes lost the ability to select any token. Sometimes, switching between maps didn't work. Sometimes, it worked, but the map layer didn't change between maps. Just the map layer... all the tokens, GM layer tokens, and light sources/walls changed.

Edited 1711667401
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Weird DL interaction between a drawing (blue filled rectangle) and tokens light/vision; tokens and drawing are on token layer. PC token ( has vision, bright:15, low:15 ) Monster token (no vision, bright:20, low: 20 ) Screen shot is logged in as player (but looks the same as GM) Linux w/FF Cool effect but... what is actually happening with the blue rectangle on the floor? Sending the drawing down to the map layer seems to work; I would expect the drawing to be opaque regardless of which layer the image is on.
Riley D. said: vÍnce said: Is Drawing still snaps to grid; setting a token to 'Advanced Transform|Is Drawing', the token still snaps to the grid instead of allowing free-form resizing. (Linux w/FF) Just to be clear it's just doing that with the resizing not the movement? That's what I'm seeing but just want to be sure that matches your experience as well. Riley, It is doing this for both.  If I try to resize, it snaps to the grid and if I just attempt to move the map over a partial square, it snaps back to the grid.  I have to treat it as a token and use <alt> and adjust it so that it does not snap as a 'drawing'.
I suppose it is muscle memory, but yes, without it, I realize that I used the side and bottom scroll bars *constantly* and now they're not there.  Which is making navigation harder.  Riley D. said: JASON H. said: Maps don't have the scroll bar on the right side next to the chat box like they used to.  Is that intentional?  So the old version of Roll20 actually relied on the browser's scroll bars to do scrolling. Jumpgate is more of a "free floating" rendering system (that's what allows us to do things like let you pan the map around way past the edges and put things beside the map). The downside to this is that there are no more scrollbars...you can use right-click and drag to pan around, use the pan tool, or use the scroll wheel still. We've gotten some feedback about this already and would welcome more though. Is this making it hard for you to navigate the map? 
Honestly, I'm excited about the new effects tool.  The old one - while a good idea - was clunky and never fully utilized its potential.  I hope the new one has a greater "wow" factor at your fingertips. 

Edited 1711683003
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I've just noticed that the Mod TokenNameNumber is behaving differently. If I drag a token from the Journal to the Map it gets numbered correctly. If I then select that token, copy, and paste it on the Map it does not get re-numbered correctly until I select the token and move it. Then it gets re-numbered correctly.  I presume there's an Event that the Mod is waiting for that happens differently in Jumpgate. 
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I found a The One Ring 2e (Advanced) character sheet problem, and I've reported it on the relevant Discord too. Copied below: Clicking on the Target icon of an Axe attack I get this error message: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but "@" found. Clicking on the Feat icon of an Axe attack works as normal.  The Target icon works OK in my original TOR2e game.

Edited 1711687291
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I cannot open token settings. Double clicking does not work, nor is there any menu option on the right click menu. The only way I can open the token settings to get into them is to open the character sheet, and open the token settings from there. This is less than ideal, because tokens that do not have a character sheet cannot be opened, and individual tokens cannot have unique settings, such as tooltips or GM notes. EDIT: This appears to be a Mac issue. I can open by double-clicking on a Chromebook. On the Mac, I have discovered that the cog can still be used to open token settings, so there's a workaround. I don't think I have used the cog in years though. Much faster to double-click.
It says the new FX tool is on the way does this mean all FX are down or will macro/api scripts be able to run them?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Replicated on my Mac Mini in Chrome  123.0.6312.87 & Firefox  124.0.1  keithcurtis said: I cannot open token settings. EDIT: This appears to be a Mac issue. 

Edited 1711780360
First of all, love the improved performance especially with animations! And finally a REDO button! :D ((EDIT: Today it everything seems to be working. Weird, but glad it's fixed! :D Keep up the great work!)) I'm having trouble with my main player sheets though. All my NPC Tokens and their NPC sheets and token actions are working fine. However none of the macros for the PCs work, and I when I alt+ double click to bring up the sheet it brings up character creation / charactermancer. Charactermancer works OK and seems to auto-fill in everything, but it only goes up to Level 1 and totally wiped all of the custom traits I made. Is this normal? Am I supposed to re-do the entire parties worth of PC character sheets? X_X

Edited 1711708432
It is more the fact that you have for example "Rules" and then EMPTY space above and below it that is just unnecessary when compared with the old compendium where you just had the word itself! And naturally this leads to more scrolling when looking for a specific entry! If you want to keep it that way, maybe you want to introduce a TOGGLE to make it appear more compact? Riley D. said: TheMarkus1204 said: Riley, are there plans to make the new compendium more compact? Is it mostly the number of entries visible at a time without scrolling that's the issue?
All of my multisided tokens (created with token-mod) broke. :(
I'm also on a Mac/Chrome and I can double click a token to access token settings. keithcurtis said: I cannot open token settings. Double clicking does not work, nor is there any menu option on the right click menu. The only way I can open the token settings to get into them is to open the character sheet, and open the token settings from there. This is less than ideal, because tokens that do not have a character sheet cannot be opened, and individual tokens cannot have unique settings, such as tooltips or GM notes. EDIT: This appears to be a Mac issue. I can open by double-clicking on a Chromebook. On the Mac, I have discovered that the cog can still be used to open token settings, so there's a workaround. I don't think I have used the cog in years though. Much faster to double-click.
Dr DM said: We ran a 5E game and it wasn't a complete fiasco. Just mostly a fiasco. Players couldn't see the token buttons associated with their token, they saw the buttons associated with the current token at the top of the initiative list. I think that something similar was happening with macros generating rolls for selected characters, as the bonuses added to rolls did not relate to the character selected. One player only saw a blank map with white spots where there was a light source. As a GM, I sometimes lost the ability to select any token. Sometimes, switching between maps didn't work. Sometimes, it worked, but the map layer didn't change between maps. Just the map layer... all the tokens, GM layer tokens, and light sources/walls changed. Thanks for this feedback, it's really helpful to get bug reports from actual game sessions. We really appreciate you taking the time to do that and then report back. Re: Seeing the token buttons, you mean the token actions bar along the top of the window was showing the wrong thing for your players?
Andrew R. said: I've just noticed that the Mod TokenNameNumber is behaving differently. If I drag a token from the Journal to the Map it gets numbered correctly. If I then select that token, copy, and paste it on the Map it does not get re-numbered correctly until I select the token and move it. Then it gets re-numbered correctly.  I presume there's an Event that the Mod is waiting for that happens differently in Jumpgate.  Okay yeah we still have a lot of work to do on Mods/API + Jumpgate, we'll start working on this early next week. Andrew R. said: I found a The One Ring 2e (Advanced) character sheet problem, and I've reported it on the relevant Discord too. Copied below: Clicking on the Target icon of an Axe attack I get this error message: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but "@" found. Clicking on the Feat icon of an Axe attack works as normal.  The Target icon works OK in my original TOR2e game. Okay thanks I'll log this and we'll take a look!
Dennis A. said: It says the new FX tool is on the way does this mean all FX are down or will macro/api scripts be able to run them? The old F/X system isn't working at all in Jumpgate right now, so no F/X work from macros/API scripts, either. The entire system has to be rewritten to work with the new rendering engine.

Edited 1711728942
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Are you on Apple Silicon? What OS?  Apple M1 Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71) John said: I'm also on a Mac/Chrome and I can double click a token to access token settings. keithcurtis said: EDIT: This appears to be a Mac issue. I can open by double-clicking on a Chromebook. On the Mac, I have discovered that the cog can still be used to open token settings, so there's a workaround. I don't think I have used the cog in years though. Much faster to double-click. Andrew R.  said: Replicated on my Mac Mini in Chrome 123.0.6312.87 & Firefox 124.0.1 
keithcurtis said: I cannot open token settings. Double clicking does not work, nor is there any menu option on the right click menu. The only way I can open the token settings to get into them is to open the character sheet, and open the token settings from there. This is less than ideal, because tokens that do not have a character sheet cannot be opened, and individual tokens cannot have unique settings, such as tooltips or GM notes. EDIT: This appears to be a Mac issue. I can open by double-clicking on a Chromebook. On the Mac, I have discovered that the cog can still be used to open token settings, so there's a workaround. I don't think I have used the cog in years though. Much faster to double-click. I am experiencing this same behavior in the Edge browser on Windows 11.
I have two issues.  1) Large maps, think Dungeon of the Mad Mage level 1, take extremely long to load. Once they are loaded, however, they work fine.  2) On the lighting layer, the one way walls don't have the arrows indicating what direction they are going. Also, when you click on a lighting line, the tool doesn't indicate what type of line it is. It always shows the last selected type of line.

Edited 1711735113
Gauss
Forum Champion
Steverhud  said: I am experiencing this same behavior in the Edge browser on Windows 11. Steverhud said: I have two issues.  1) Large maps, think Dungeon of the Mad Mage level 1, take extremely long to load. Once they are loaded, however, they work fine.  2) On the lighting layer, the one way walls don't have the arrows indicating what direction they are going. Also, when you click on a lighting line, the tool doesn't indicate what type of line it is. It always shows the last selected type of line. Hi Steverhud,  Based on the earlier post I assume you are using Edge? Could you try using one of the supported browsers, Chrome or Firefox, and see what happens for all three issues?
Hey folks, We just pushed out another update for Jumpgate based on your reports/feedback. Custom token marker sets (including Marketplace sets) should now be functioning properly. Jumpgate games should now respect the account-wide Pan/Zoom scroll default you have set -- this fixes the bug where after loading into a Jumpgate game you might have to toggle that setting to get it to "stick". The Explorable tab should no longer be indefinitely locked in the Fog of War UI The turn on and fill button should be working properly on new pages Fixed a bug where filling fog on Explorable mode was filling with Permanent Darkness Fixed a bug where the Fog of War menu was not updating when Fog was toggled from On->Off in Page Settings Using the Reveal All button should work immediately now without needing a refresh. Changing the tool while using the Fog of War polygon tool should no longer leave an artifact. Using the Resize to Fit function should no longer cause images to appear in an incorrect front-to-back order. Using the Zoom to Fit function should no longer throw an error.
Also we did find a new issue where rolling Initiative from Character Sheets isn't adding the token to the Turn Tracker. I've added that to the Known Issues list and removed the things we've now fixed per the above update. Thanks for all of your feedback so far, keep it coming! We will do out next push of fixes on Monday most likely.
I haven't opened a Jumpgate game yet, but I just want to say that I really appreciate all of the communication about known issues in the Beta!  One suggestion for the Known Issues Help article  - I would keep 'fixed' items in the list but mark them with a strikethrough, appended with a 'Fixed' marker, or tagged in some way.  That way there will be a nice running list showing all of the progress that has been made, as well as a way for people to check and see if a problem they have reported has been fixed, or is still being worked on, or hasn't been added to the log yet.

Edited 1711737975
Fog of war works now. BUT can you PLEASE RENAME "ADD" and "SUBTRACT" to "HIDE" / "REVEAL"? Would be MUCH more Intuitive! One other thing I noticed is the "Movement Restriction" Option that is displayed even when dynamic Lighting is disabled for the map! This should only be displayed if Dynamic Lighting is enabled because otherwise it makes no sense and enabling it would have no effect at all! Same for the "Explorable" as this also makes NO SENSE if Dynamic Lighting is disabled! Riley D. said: Hey folks, We just pushed out another update for Jumpgate based on your reports/feedback. Custom token marker sets (including Marketplace sets) should now be functioning properly. Jumpgate games should now respect the account-wide Pan/Zoom scroll default you have set -- this fixes the bug where after loading into a Jumpgate game you might have to toggle that setting to get it to "stick". The Explorable tab should no longer be indefinitely locked in the Fog of War UI The turn on and fill button should be working properly on new pages Fixed a bug where filling fog on Explorable mode was filling with Permanent Darkness Fixed a bug where the Fog of War menu was not updating when Fog was toggled from On->Off in Page Settings Using the Reveal All button should work immediately now without needing a refresh. Changing the tool while using the Fog of War polygon tool should no longer leave an artifact. Using the Resize to Fit function should no longer cause images to appear in an incorrect front-to-back order. Using the Zoom to Fit function should no longer throw an error.
Riley D. said: Re: Seeing the token buttons, you mean the token actions bar along the top of the window was showing the wrong thing for your players? Yeah, the token action bar was showing the players the token of whatever token was currently at the top of the initiative order whenever they clicked on their token. I don't think that it updated with the initiative order, just whenever the players clicked on their token. Until we figured out what was going on, players couldn't use their token actions. We did have GroupInitiative, TurnMarker1, and OnMyTurn active. Some of these might have triggered specific events that are relevant.
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: Fog of war works now. BUT can you PLEASE RENAME "ADD" and "SUBTRACT" to "HIDE" / "REVEAL"? Would be MUCH more Intuitive! One other thing I noticed is the "Movement Restriction" Option that is displayed even when dynamic Lighting is disabled for the map! This should only be displayed if Dynamic Lighting is enabled because otherwise it makes no sense and enabling it would have no effect at all! Same for the "Explorable" as this also makes NO SENSE if Dynamic Lighting is disabled! IIRC, Movement Restriction when DL is off has been a requested feature. Note: I am not saying the Devs intended this.

Edited 1711739282
Yes, it is turned off. But there is the option to enable it... ;) Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: Fog of war works now. BUT can you PLEASE RENAME "ADD" and "SUBTRACT" to "HIDE" / "REVEAL"? Would be MUCH more Intuitive! One other thing I noticed is the "Movement Restriction" Option that is displayed even when dynamic Lighting is disabled for the map! This should only be displayed if Dynamic Lighting is enabled because otherwise it makes no sense and enabling it would have no effect at all! Same for the "Explorable" as this also makes NO SENSE if Dynamic Lighting is disabled! IIRC, Movement Restriction when DL is off has been a requested feature. Note: I am not saying the Devs intended this.
Don't know if it has anything to do with jumpgate, but the Character Sheet for "Das Schwarze Auge 5th Edition (German)" is only black and white and does show a broken image it did not before:
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, it is turned off. But there is the option to enable it... ;) The option to enable it has always been there. Jumpgate did not change that.
Gauss said: Steverhud  said: I am experiencing this same behavior in the Edge browser on Windows 11. Steverhud said: I have two issues.  1) Large maps, think Dungeon of the Mad Mage level 1, take extremely long to load. Once they are loaded, however, they work fine.  2) On the lighting layer, the one way walls don't have the arrows indicating what direction they are going. Also, when you click on a lighting line, the tool doesn't indicate what type of line it is. It always shows the last selected type of line. Hi Steverhud,  Based on the earlier post I assume you are using Edge? Could you try using one of the supported browsers, Chrome or Firefox, and see what happens for all three issues? Trying on Chrome latest release The slow load of the large map is still an issue.  Double clicking on a token now opens the token window but the Alt+double click does the same thing and I can't find a combination that will open the character sheet directly. The one-way walls still do not have the arrows.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Hey folks, We just pushed out another update for Jumpgate based on your reports/feedback. Custom token marker sets (including Marketplace sets) should now be functioning properly. I cannot get Custom Token Markers to appear on the token (Mac/Chrome). They can be selected in the token interface, but they do not appear on token. I can select and make appear the standard color dots, but it appears that about 13px of margin have been applied to them, obscuring the token image more than necessary. Also, the "Compact, Bottom Overlapping" token bar is a good deal thicker, further covering the image. Here is a screen shot of Classic vs. Jumpgate:

Edited 1711744133
Gauss
Forum Champion
Steverhud said: Trying on Chrome latest release The slow load of the large map is still an issue.  Double clicking on a token now opens the token window but the Alt+double click does the same thing and I can't find a combination that will open the character sheet directly. The one-way walls still do not have the arrows. Without having your map I cannot confirm the slow load time. I suggest posting the Campaign Details link (NOT the join link) and the page name it is happening on so that the Devs can check out your game.  I was not able to replicate the Alt+double click issue, it works for me. Please confirm the token's settings that it is correctly linked to a character sheet. One way walls: confirmed in my test game as well. 
It was in Page Settings ;) Not it is in the FoW Menu as well... Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: Yes, it is turned off. But there is the option to enable it... ;) The option to enable it has always been there. Jumpgate did not change that.
What I noticed during our game: Drag and Drop from the journal works, BUT it takes some time before the image is loaded correctly. First it is just a white square or circle (depending on the image you drag from the journal)...
Gauss
Forum Champion
Two issues I noticed with Fog of War:  1) After adding or subtracting Fog of War the lines between points are very rough (jagged), not smooth like before.  2) While adding or subtracting Fog of War there is no line indicating you are doing so between points.  While the entire zone is visible after you do two points and then head out into a direction perpendicular to those points for a bit it does not appear you have done anything when clicking those two points.  That line is very helpful when adding or subtracting Fog of War. 
Some quick first impressions: Made a copy of the current game I am running to test with, but none of my scripts copied over with it, so I can't really test it with live players without a whole lot more setup work than I want to do at the moment. I do like the new token selection rectangle and rotation handle, as they are much easier to see and grab. Multiselect works sooooooo much better, especially with things near the edge of the page. It will probably be worth it just for that! At some point, I got into a state where left clicking on a token would no longer bring up the radial dials, and when  I dragged the map using a right click, released it, then left clicked on a token, it brought up the Right Click menu. Did a browser refresh and can't replicate the issue. Token alignment doesn't work correctly on a hex grid New Right Click menu seems very nice. On the Fog of War, I don't see how to reset the explorable Fog of War. Probably not a big deal, but the existing rolls in Chat, looks like the ones that were done via /r command, show as  Something seems to be wrong with the above roll -- it failed verification

Edited 1711918880
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I'm excited for the new features, this seems like a great step in the right direction. Just adding my two cents here. I created a duplicate game with jumpgate. The jumpgate version is unusably slow in responsiveness at every level, regardless of map size, etc. compared to the original game. I'm on a Macbook pro running Mac Os X 10.14 on Chrome ( Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (x86_64)) . I have been getting some notifications that my Chrome is out of date for a few months. Not sure whether that's relevant here or not. Macbook is a 2012 model with an SSD. But otherwise don't normally have performance issues.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mac mini (Late 2014) 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 macOS Monterey 12.7.4 keithcurtis said: Are you on Apple Silicon? What OS?  Apple M1 Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)