Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Once again, a thread disappears from the main page: Someone Doesn't Like Constructive Criticism!

As I mentioned in this thread a while back (without getting any official response), there is a pattern developing wherein posts that someone on the Dev Team might consider critical of their work get 'swept under the rug'. Tonight's Culprit: Yet another polite request to improve the functionality of Roll20 by changing the Tags system, which we all know is some kind of personal vendetta against those members of the Dev Team who like tags. Despite many, many, many requests to implement some sort of folder system, tags are obviously superior and must not be questioned. Apparently. Main Page: Detail: Missing Thread: Detail: Yes, we all know you don't like folders. But everyone else does. Trying to hide their requests is not the way to go about things. Quote from someone on that previous thread I linked, above: I asked about something similar in the mentors forum about a post of mine not showing on the main page and a dev stated that not all post will show due to factors. Here is a quote from the Dev. I dropped the matter after that. Riley D said: It's not a glitch. Not all posts show up on the overview page (where 5 posts from each forum are shown), it depends on a lot of factors. All posts are always shown if you go to the forum category page itself. Apparently among these 'lot of factors' is "I don't like what's being said." Ok, granted, this is your toy, and if you want to run things this way, that's your right. But I, for one, dislike this policy of sweeping criticism under the rug. The only posts I've seen this happen with are those suggesting changes, saying that maybe the way things are done isn't the best way to do them. That, just possibly, someone in charge here needs to re-think their ideas. That, maybe, just maybe, they're wrong about something. And so, rather than deal with it, someone tries to hide the discussion, and hopes that it will go away. Again, your toy, your rules, you have every right to do things your way. Just be aware that I, for one, see what you're doing, and I don't like it. -Phnord, who fully expects to get a 'warning' for this post.
Gold
Forum Champion
I wouldn't look at it like taking away the voting rights or protest rights of the populace. I would see it more as the suggestion has been noted by the Devs. Suggestion received, and filed away, for whatever reason. It sounds more like the thread was heard rather than unheard.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Considering I've seen this happen to many different kinds of threads, I'm going to call "conspiracy theory," "confirmation bias," and "forum software that should be replaced." But not a bug.
Happened to one of my threads in like 5 minutes after it posted (or close to it). I'd say Gauss would know much more about it. It is a kind of censorship, plain and simple. Certain topics are not given the same visibility as other topics. It's pretty obvious IMO, especially if you are the original poster. I agree that it is a very ugly way to handle criticism, and a fast way to getting a bad reputation. I've since removed my supporter account.
An interesting side note, they haven't censored this thread...yet.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Which thread are you pointing at? In the LFG tab?: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1192702/in-the-l" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1192702/in-the-l</a>... or the [I'm begging you] thread?: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1186149/im-beggi" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1186149/im-beggi</a>... True they are not on the main page view but they are still in the suggestion forum and are accessible to anyone looking. I don't know if it was a person that shifted them off the main page or it was just the way the coding works. I would pretty much agree with Gold on this as the Devs read it and marked it read in their side which possibly drops it off the main page but leaves it active for someone else to post their view on the matter. I've seen software do this and it is strange behavior but it generally is not someone sneaking around and clicking on a hide button.
Quintus said: Happened to one of my threads in like 5 minutes after it posted (or close to it). I'd say Gauss would know much more about it. It is a kind of censorship, plain and simple. Certain topics are not given the same visibility as other topics. It's pretty obvious IMO, especially if you are the original poster. I agree that it is a very ugly way to handle criticism, and a fast way to getting a bad reputation. I've since removed my supporter account. I dunno. I think I'm waiting to see one more "we were told by most of the players that [feature X] is the most desired feature & [this update once again ignored GM needs in favor of a new sexy looking function]"
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
It might be some algorithm that uses how recent a thread is, coupled with how many people have viewed the thread, and when the latest post has been. If that is the case, and fewer people are reading the thread due to it being a repeated plea, it may not make it into the "Top 5". Considering there's (TMK) 4 moderators, and some of them wear multiple hats, it is unlikely that they're perched upon the forums waiting for someone to say something they dislike.Thus, I severely doubt the moderators are censoring posts, especially on a subject they've already addressed openly.
Call it whatever you want. Regardless of whatever reason it is happening, I think it is a very peculiar "quirk" that it happens at all.
Several people got banned for their commentary here. I'd strongly urge folks to review our Code of Conduct . We've said before; these forums are meant to be for constructive discussion centered around the program. Beyond that specific scope, we lack the time or energy to host such conversations. Additionally, because the scope is so limited, this is not really meant to (outside of perhaps the API) be a place to congregate. It's a tool to help people move forward-- get past bugs or issues with the program, find other players, etc. and get back to gaming. Our actions in moderating are meant to keep that movement. As to algorithm quirks vs. team intervention, there's a mix of both at play across the forums. Going forward, a few things to put some stock in... Between some upcoming job postings for Roll20 and a few people we're talking with about becoming community moderators, we're hoping to have better internal policies and implementation. I'd urge folks to remember that we really try to be invisible in terms of punishment-- our preference isn't to make an example of someone-- so we have a better ability to take the time and explain, "hey, here's what to do in the future IF you want to be on our public forums" will help the overall service. Finally, we really don't mind constructive criticism (we even dig it). Exasperated, angry, threatening, condescending, "gotcha", and incoherent criticism, though? It's not going to fly.