Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Global Variables/Abilities?

So I had a thought about rolls, dunno if it's already been done before, or if it's even possible. I was working on a Google Doc of macros for my campaign, copying over the rolls for the repeating sections, changing zeros to ones, two, threes, you know how it goes. And I was thinking, on every single roll I'm writing out the same basic attack roll, but with some variations in other parts of the roll. Wouldn't it be simpler to define an ability of part of the roll, and then reference it each time. That way if I mess up the basic roll, I only have to fix it in one spot, and not for EVERY. SINGLE. ROLL! So here's what I'm thinking, have a <div> section at the top of the sheet, that through the CSS is hidden. Inside that <div> you define a set of Global variables with roll buttons: things like AC, Skill rolls, Bonuses, anything that is referenced multiple times. Then in the actual character sheet, you only have to type the %ability in the roll, and if there is something wrong with that ability, you just have to fix it the Global Variables at the top of the sheet. Thoughts? (As soon as I post this I'm going to go write a basic character sheet to test the theory, be right back...)
Yeah, it's not working... I'll try it some more in the morning.
Sounds like you could use the macros.
Yeah, macros work, but they wouldn't really be "Global", since I'd have to manually program them into the campaign. And it relies on the #{selected| which means you have to have your token selected even if you're rolling it from the character sheet. The problem is that the character sheets don't go through any initialization of attributes, the attributes are only created when you manually enter them in or modify them, instead of pulling them from the html.
BTW Solved this issue. Turns out the problem was that I was using repeating sections. If I make a character with little to no repeating sections, everything works fine and dandy.