Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Magic items!

So I have given my low-level party some magic armor and weapons, but I want to give them some more without over powering them to much. What are some good and items thst won't be destructive.
Depends on the system you run, and what you gave them already.
4e, mosty better weapons and armor ( to increase ac wnd dmg output)
Neck item if you want a permanent boost, amulet of protection just a boost to NADs, or give them a small amount of, say, alchemist fire. Consumable weapons gives that feeling of oo i got something, w/o giving them a permanant sword.
I like the idea of consuma
They are a good way to add area of effect dmg or control effects that your party may lack, depending on the item.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Give magical items a negative aspect that is mostly rp based. My players use magic item only when they have no choice. A new player just discovered how i run it. His character put  a ring of warmth on and now suffers from it.
Ok how about cursed items that hurt you evwrytime you use thier benefits, amd when you try to take it off it attacks you wit?h a will attack, if it successed ot stays on and you take a little damage.
The 4e DMG is clear on how much treasure, including magical treasure, to hand out per level by way of treasure parcels. 4e's math is balanced enough, however, that even going beyond this guideline won't throw it off too much. The main things to watch out for are bonuses to AC, NAD's, and weapons which the game assumes will scale at a given rate against monster attacks and defenses. You can generally be more "generous" with other items that don't provide those bonuses with little worry. I recommend staying away from cursed items. They can be frustrating to the players and don't bring much to your game (outside of nostalgia for past editions which is of little value in my opinion).
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Take the example I gave about one of my players.The ring is not truly cursed. It doesn't do damage to him per say. It generates a 40 degree increase to the temperature for him only. If the weather is in the 20's then he would feel it as 60's. If it was 80 degree then he would feel the effects of 120 degree temperature. It is true that he can not remove the ring but that is a yet also. There is a method to do so but he has not had the time to research how. I've never used a cursed item in my games. I used demonic items, flawed items (see the above example), items with charges that normally don't have charges, and other stuff that keep the players guessing.