Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Add /targetroll command

I find that I frequently have to roll to select which target an npc is attacking. There are three parts to this suggestion: First, allow users to ctrl-click to select/deselect multiple tokens. (Need to be more specific than dragging a select box) Second, add a readonly index field to the token dialog. Increment a value and auto-populate this each time a token is added. Third, add a /targetroll command, that will randomly choose a token out of the selected tokens and output a message like "Target: Soldier (3)", where "Soldier" is the token name and "3" is the index. The idea behind the index field is to provide an easy way to differentiate between tokens of the same name. Right now I think that the only way is to add a condition color dot and press a keyboard number. The index would be better since it can be used elsewhere as an attribute.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I am going to ask a really dumb question: Why do the targets all have the same name, instead of doing Mook 1, Mook 2, Mook 3 and so forth? :)
Can players not use the current shift+click to select multiple specific tokens they control? it works for me as a gm. I understand having the same name for the tokens since I frequently use a base character sheet for several different npc's on the table at a time, but I'm not sure about the why of choosing a random target from the selected group of tokens.
GenKitty said: I am going to ask a really dumb question: Why do the targets all have the same name, instead of doing Mook 1, Mook 2, Mook 3 and so forth? :) I could go in and rename each one, I suppose. But let's say it's a random encounter where I've dragged 10 goblins onto the map. It would be better to have an addressable index that is automatically populated when the token is created on the map. I'm sure there actually already is one that the developers use, but it isn't revealed to us. Roger A. said: Can players not use the current shift+click to select multiple specific tokens they control? it works for me as a gm. I understand having the same name for the tokens since I frequently use a base character sheet for several different npc's on the table at a time, but I'm not sure about the why of choosing a random target from the selected group of tokens. Shift-click works for me, but it only seems to enlarge the selection. I can't select 2 of 3 adjacent tokens. Or deselect one out of a group. Maybe I didn't describe it well enough. So, here's an example: There is a goblin adjacent to 3 player characters. The choice of which character he attacks will be a random decision. It would be nice if I had the option of selecting the threatened character tokens and entering /targetroll, where the message returned tells the party the name of the token randomly selected I realize that this is a minor enhancement, but I'm sure it comes up a lot for people. Currently I have to announce to the group that I'm determining which character the monster is attacking, and roll a die while telling them which order the characters are in so that they understand the result of the die roll. I realize that another route is that I could just roll it privately and announce the result, but allowing the players to be in on the process builds tension and anticipation. Especially if someone is really close to death and praying not to be attacked.

Edited 1413259797
Roger A.
Sheet Author
the selection behavior you describe is strange. When I use shift clicking to select tokens in Firefox, sure the selection box grows to accommodate all the selected tokens, but it doesn't select every token that would be covered by the box, and it does allow me to un-select specific tokens by holding shift and clicking them again. Have you tried to move your selected tokens to verify that it is selecting all the tokens in the area of the selection box? Edit: I guess you could always use a rollable table to select what player your npc is attacking. Just put all the names into a rollable table and if the name that comes up isn't a valid target for the npc you are rolling for, then roll again.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .