Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

All non square images are resized to square even in the GM layer, why?

Hello, i have a lot of trouble with this functionality. All non square images are now automatically resized to square even in the GM layer. I use many images like portraits in my games, it was never like this before. It makes all my games far more complicated to set up. I have litterally thousands of portraits or rectangular sized images. I cannot change them all to square. I there anyway to desactivate this functionnality? before this hapennend only when the grid was on and on the map layer, or we could use the alt button to force roll20 to not resize, but non of that works anymore. Now it happens everywhere except on the map layer, wich makes no sense, i need to import most on my image on the GM layer first, thats the place where i should be able to prepare my stuff before revealing it. Now if i want to show a portrait, i have either to put it on the map layer and have it appearing randomly without being smooth, or resize it everytime i try to show something, it make every action take longer, and break the rythm of the storytelling.   Can someone give me some insight, ive been mastering tables on roll20 for 12 years now. I dont understand why this was implemented like that. Thank you for your amazing work.
Although this forum is called Bug Reports and Technical Issues, posting a help request will get your issue seen faster: <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new</a> I'm also seeing this behavior and have reported it&nbsp; - more reports about the same issue will help boost its priority.
I filed a bug report on this yesterday, at least the issue as I perceive it. And today I got a request for a game link (which is a bit silly as it works identically in every game). Still, like Rick A., I'd suggest the OP file their own bug report if they haven't already; their perspective may differ from mine, and more data can only help prod Roll20. But while playing around with some example images in the test game to illustrate the problem, I did note a workaround, that works IF, and only IF the original dimensions are what you want: 1. Create a new page (the map must be blank). 2. Drop the image on the map layer, accept the "leave everything as-is" option (which only appears on a blank map) 3. copy / paste the image onto your actual page, on GM or token layer, and proportions are preserved, even if you move the image (just don't touch the resize handles, or it snaps to grid) This approach won't help if, for example, you wanted to change the size to something else in pixels before dropping (although you can right-click and set size in pixels once it's on the map, before doing a copy/paste with it).
I'm pretty sure that first reply to a posted report is automated. Any time that I make a bug report&nbsp;I've gotten into the habit of always supplying: - a link to a game where the problem is happening - the version numbers of my currently installed Chrome and Firefox browsers -&nbsp;if applicable&nbsp;the name of the character sheets that I'm using Ken S. said: Still, like Rick A., I'd suggest the OP file their own bug report if they haven't already; their perspective may differ from mine, and more data can only help prod Roll20.
1790447556
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am pretty sure this is a known bug that the Devs are aware of.&nbsp;
@Gauss: you are correct.&nbsp; I received a followup update to my ticket today, noting that: This is an issue that our team is aware of and is on our radar for a fix as soon as we can! I've made sure to add this report to our internal ticket as well so it can be prioritized properly.
1790705890

Edited 1790706010
It may just be coincidence, but today's Change Log entry notes that you can now drag an image from the Art Library to the token layer while holding Alt and it will preserve the original dimensions rather than shrinking it to one square. This also works for the GM layer. It's not "change the image original dimensions", which is what this bug is about, but it's a useful workaround for many purposes.
1790710907
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ken S. said: It may just be coincidence, but today's Change Log entry notes that you can now drag an image from the Art Library to the token layer while holding Alt and it will preserve the original dimensions rather than shrinking it to one square. This also works for the GM layer. It's not "change the image original dimensions", which is what this bug is about, but it's a useful workaround for many purposes. This was fixed yesterday according to the changelog . The behavior you describe is the correct behavior that existed before the last bug broke it. Alt-drag = original dimensions. Resolved two bugs with holding Alt while dragging an image from the Art Library. Images now place at their original dimensions instead of 70x70px, and Alt now works on Linux. Characters with a default token still use the default token's size.
Well, it may be "broken as intended" to not allow setting image dimensions in the art library in pixels, even though you can set them in squares there, and in both pixels and squares after you drop them, but it's a pretty silly limitation.
1790841212
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ken S. said: Well, it may be "broken as intended" to not allow setting image dimensions in the art library in pixels, even though you can set them in squares there, and in both pixels and squares after you drop them, but it's a pretty silly limitation. Setting in units originally was to facilitate placing marketplace items at intended size (ex. 3 x 5). Marketplace contributes had been required to fill those values in on art packs for about two years before the feature was introduced, so that the Marketplace would be filled with items that already conformed. You might want to consider creating a Suggestion forums post about it, if you want to catch the Dev Team's eye. If you do, post the link here, and I will add my vote. I do agree that it feels like an oversight not to extend this feature to pixels, though there might be a hurdle due to the way data was set up for the original purpose.