Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Classic D&D, The Keep on the Borderlands. Consistent Saturday game, evenings 6:30pm CST (GMT -6).

Edited 1414100719
The realms of law and order are constantly under assault by the minions of chaos. Word has spread to the more civilized lands that there are fortunes to be made on the borders where these conflicts happen. Leading to something of a gold rush, with swords and axes hoping to mine the blood of monsters. While carts and businessman mine the purses of adventurers and tradesmen. ---------------------------------------------------------- I'm looking to start a consistent weekly game. That's an important aspect that i'm looking for in players, consistency. Games are already prone to instability, add the anonymity of the internet to the mix and you're almost guaranteed to collapse within a month. To counter this, i'm looking for those players who want to establish a stable, consistent game for ourselves here on roll20. Microphones are a necessity. You don't need to have a great quality microphone, but you do need to have some kind of microphone. Built-in mics, and even skype on the phone has been used effectively. A week or two of text-only is perfectly fine, but it's not sustainable indefinitely. Skype is my current preference, just for its ease of use and its ubiquity. Though i'd be open to alternatives if they were agreed upon by the group, and were reliable. The built-in roll20 voice has come a long way, but it's just not yet reliable enough for my tastes. I don't generally have or use webcams. The version is BECMI OD&D, sometimes called Basic D&D. It's the version used by the original red box, also by the Keep on the Borderlands module. In comparison to all the later versions, the rules are extremely simple. Rather than viewing this as a negative, or as a restriction, i see this as leaving room for our individual creativity to fill in the gaps. I've seen players invent spinning cleave attacks and flip from rooftop to rooftop picking off enemies, because there was no rule which contradicted them. There are restrictions that may appear harsh to players who are used to the WotC versions of D&D. But the simple, loose nature of this version means that each gaming group effectively finds its own "version" of the rules. So the pieces that don't seem like they'd fit aren't so integral to the giant, complex machine of the rules that we couldn't toss 'em if they get in the way too often. I'd like to do character creation individually, but with an eye towards how the team would fit together. Indulging the typical impulses to throw bumper-stickers on, and stick playing cards in the spokes, mechanically speaking. Yet hopefully not at the expense of the group as a whole. If any of this sounds good to you, please contact me. You can respond here, send a private message, or find the game through the LFG posting. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/17716/keep-on-the-borderlands" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/17716/keep-on-the-borderlands</a>
I like the direction you are taking with this campaign and DM rules. Can you clarify what edition you are hoping to play?

Edited 1414100233
Gold
Forum Champion
It's a nice campaign pitch. I think he described the game system very well. Dwayne look at paragraph 4. BECMI D&D refers to Basic-Expert-Companion-Masters-Immortals, the basic D&D of the 1980's. Billy described the edition in that paragraph. Maybe spelling out the abbreviation helps with clarity. For another small clarification, BECMI is the basis for D&D RC (Rules Compendium). If you have RC it should be compatible, if the GM agrees. Unfortunately I can't join this campaign at this season, but I like the pitch and the game system of olde. One thing you could add, Billy, is a direct link to the LFG. Of course anyone can find it by looking for your listing under the Original D&D search category.
I was actually just sitting here trying to decide whether he was making a joke, or seriously asking which version. It was pretty funny as a joke, because the largest paragraph is devoted to talking about the version. But i didn't want to assume incorrectly.
*BAMF!*
Gold, thanks for the clarification. He did a great job describing it and no I wasn't joking. Just new to the terminology and the pen and paper. I take the D&D seriously but there's a lot to wrap ones mind around at the beginning. Especially with 5 editions and multiple red boxes. Wish you guys the best with your campaigns.
*BAMF!*