Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Sheet Attributes and Abilities Reordered

Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
We had a similar issue last year while developing Creature/Character Sheets for our group. I sent a message and was told that the issue was being handled. However, this past game session, I had a couple of my players point out that their Attributes and Abilities reordered. I noted this was also the case with some of the over 100 monster sheets we have created. My players and I are wondering if this is just a temporary problem that will be addressed because it has rendered our character sheets and monster sheets useless since there is now no organization to the hundreds of abilities to sort through. We had spent weeks recreating our sheets the last time this happened but it has been about a year since then and no one in the group has an interest in recreating a years worth of work. Can you let us know whether this is something that will be fixed and reordered or is there nothing that can be done as our games are on hold until we know. Thanks

Edited 1414098191
Gauss
Forum Champion
Moved to the Bug Reports forum. Yeah, this was a bug that was previously fixed. Sorry about that. Could you provide a screenshot of the before and after of the ordering? Also, could you send me a join link so I can take a look at your character sheets?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I believe this is known bug that has yet to be resolved. It's a major pain in my opinion. I believe you can workaround some of this by not mixing player token macros with the GM created macros (my settings) while forcing the "Show as Token Action" to players. At least for me, as soon as a I do "Show as Token Action" to a player(s) the macro gets inserted (sometimes randomly) into the players token menu toolbar which often scrambles the order of their macros. So, now I never mix the two if I want to keep the token toolbar organized. I have seen others mention unchecking all toolbar macros and rechecking them and/or moving the position of the macros and moving them back to reestablish order, but I never find the "magic" combination to make this work, So, I just don't mix them. Would love to see the little grab bars on the token toolbar macros like the macro quick bar. Just drag them around to the order you want.

Edited 1414100701
Gauss
Forum Champion
Vince , the bug that Mark is referencing is not the Token Action bug. The bug Mark is referencing is where in the character the ordering of the Attributes or Abilities is not staying where they have been placed.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss said: Vince , the bug that Mark is referencing is not the Token Action bug. The bug Mark is referencing is where in the character the ordering of the Attributes or Abilities is not staying where they have been placed. So my problem is another known bug? I wasn't sure if Mark had done anything that might have caused the order to change, but I know that the order gets changed when I mix player token actions with gm created token actions. I can start a new post if my problem is different. However if this is a known issue there's probably not much of a reason to create another thread. Thanks

Edited 1414120702
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, your problem is another known bug. To be clear there are two bugs we are discussing: Vince's bug: When mixing Macros and Abilities the Token Action order gets messed up. If using just Abilities it does not. Mark's bug: In a character the order for either Attributes or Abilities will get messed up when there is a large number of Attributes or Abilities (respectively). You can organize them and then come back later to find the order is different. Vince's bug is a known issue that has not yet been addressed. The Devs are aware of this issue and a bug report has been filed with them. No further action on your part is required. Mark's bug is a known issue that was fixed long ago and may now be back. I need to work with Mark to find out if the cause (steps to reproduce) is the same and if not what is causing it.
I'm having the same thing as Mark's bug. I don't have screenshots, but I'll work on it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, Gozer. Thanks. Please let me know if/when you can get them for me so I can try to reproduce this.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The only observation that me and a player made was that it seemed to happen when having the character sheet opened to the Attribute & Ability tab for an extended period of time. You will finish your work, close the character sheet, only to come back and find it all out of order. The other thing we noticed is that they are reordering to the order that they were created. Wish I knew more about programming. I have an idea of what is causing it but wouldn't begin to know how to word it properly. lol Let me know if you have any questions though.
Yes, this is the same thing I noticed. They reordered to the order in which they were created. It's not happening all the time, but I haven't kept the tab open for a long time a lot. I will try that.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Another observation that I just made. We have worked on these sheets a lot (as you will see if not already). We have noticed the site is a bit sluggish on weekends. I am guessing this is because there are so many more people on playing on the weekends. Anyways though, it seems that it has occurred more during times that the server is really busy. I am wondering if this could be related to a built in recovery feature when a player loses connection to the server? Just a thought and maybe not related but just trying to cover all angles.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Mark , regarding sluggish performance please see the threads: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1281321/bad-performance-rolls-take-10-15-seconds-before-they-show-up#post-1300648" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1281321/bad-performance-rolls-take-10-15-seconds-before-they-show-up#post-1300648</a> and <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1282319/roll20-sluggish#post-1299573" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1282319/roll20-sluggish#post-1299573</a>
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, wow. One of your characters has over 170 Abilities. I'm not sure it was designed to handle that. I will forward this to the Devs.
Yeah, mine are not that big, but I have a lot - around 80 abilities for each character. Basically, I made a character template with all available skills as macros, and then the player just checks the ones they have to show up as token actions, but can roll for other skills via the character sheet itself.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
That was the same thing we were doing, Gozer. As we made characters or creatures, we would add the new abilities to a template and then duplicate the template for the new character/creature. This has evolved into a sheet where we mostly just have to turn on the token actions that the creature or character can make. I didn't realize that this would be too much. Would it be better to just create macros in settings and have the character sheet refer to those? This way only one copy of the abilities exists in macros instead of a copy on EVERY character sheet?
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am not sure that this is too much, just that it is *possible* that it is too much. I have forwarded this to the Devs.