Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolls to the GM in character sheets

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Something I've done for awhile in my game with macros is to direct Perception- type rolls to the GM only, so that only the player who rolls and the GM can see the result. The idea is to cut down on cross-table meta gaming. It seems to work pretty well-for us, anyway. Last night my players suggested I bake that into the character sheet itself. I don't intend to keep my mentor status for much longer once the character sheet is "finished", so I thought I'd put it out there: how would you feel about that sort of thing being pre-baked into the character sheet? On a related note, i wonder if it's possible to build a toggle into the sheet that would switch these rolls from "/r" to "/gr" in the dice button? That would be the best of both worlds. Any ideas?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I know that the PF sheet has an NPC section (tab) and all the sheet rolls from that section are whispered to the GM. I don't believe they are used anywhere else on the sheet however. Not sure if it's something you could toggle on the sheet. One of the sheet Gurus would have to chime in.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Hmmm...obviously this is a burning issue of deep concern to the whole R20 community. ;) I decided to add these into an expanding field on the skills page. It keeps them optional, but doesn't really interfere with the way the rest of the rolls are set up. Vince: Yeah, without IF/THEN statements, I really don't know how you can possibly make a dice macro switch between "/r" and "/gr". In the end, I think this is going to be a better solution.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Tom said: On a related note, i wonder if it's possible to build a toggle into the sheet that would switch these rolls from "/r" to "/gr" in the dice button? That would be the best of both worlds. Any ideas? I believe the oWoD sheets do something similar; it doesn't switch between gr and r, but it switches the content of the roll by changing what roll button is visible. You could do something to the effect of: <input type="radio" name="attr_roll-toggle" class="sheet-roll-player" value="1" title="Player visible" checked="checked" /> <input type="radio" name="attr_roll-toggle" class="sheet-roll-gm" value="0" title="GM visible" /> <button type="roll" name="roll_player-visible" class="sheet-roll-player" value="/r d20"></button> <button type="roll" name="roll_gm-visible" class="sheet-roll-gm" value="/gr d20"></button> button.sheet-roll-player, button.sheet-roll-gm { display: none; } input.sheet-roll-player:checked ~ button.sheet-roll-player { display: auto; } input.sheet-roll-gm:checked ~ button.sheet-roll-gm { display: auto; } The player could still access the hidden roll button with %{Character Name|Roll Button Name}, and the upcoming update which allows you to drag roll buttons to the macro bar would allow the player to access the hidden button as well, but for anyone clicking buttons on the sheet itself it would work as you're hoping.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Wow, Brian. I knew someone had put together a clever solution for that sort of thing. I'd try incorporating that, but it would mean adding another checkbox and roll button, which would likely complete screw up the delicate balance of formatting and alignment I've spent a long time obsessing over. So I'm just going to stick with the collapsible section. But thank you! That's a very cool solution.