Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

STAR FRONTIERS is baaaaack!

Edited 1452542996
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
STAR FRONTIERS was TSR's RPG science fiction entry in 1982. &nbsp;It was a game of settled and unexplored planets, initially with no spaceship rules. &nbsp;The initial box was later called Alpha Dawn . Spaceship rules came out as a box called&nbsp; KNIGHT HAWKS . &nbsp;Finally, ZEBULON'S GUIDE TO THE FRONTIER was a perfectbound book with a rules revamp (using a color-coded Action Table which was a mid-80's fad that TSR also used for GAMMA WORLD and MARVEL SUPER-HEROES RPGs, but I believe originally invented by ex-TSR staff who formed Pacesetter Inc.). The game uses only 10-sided dice (and the occasional 1d5 derived from a d10). &nbsp;All skill rolls are d100 percentiles (01 best, 00 worst) and so the odds are easy to grasp. A fan named Bill Logan re-edited the books, adventure modules and also offers the maps and counters. &nbsp;It is all available as free .pdf files. &nbsp;The books, adventures, and his slick STAR FRONTIERSMAN magazine can also be ordered in print form for a mild cost on the print-on-demand site lulu.com . <a href="http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered" rel="nofollow">http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered</a> It is still my favourite game because: --It has a fast combat system incorporating melee weapons, ranged weapons, vehicle combat and destruction, and aerial combat and destruction on the same scale (6-second combat turns, scales of 1" = 2 m or for vehicles 1" = 5 m.) &nbsp;Also a touch of rules for wrestling and martial arts. --It has extensive notes for the beginner game master (they called it a "referee") on designing and running a game. &nbsp;And in the 80's we were all beginners. &nbsp;The lessons I learned have stuck with me and maximize my fun to this day. Enjoy!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
+1
So, Pierre will be running this, yes? &nbsp; **grins hopefully**
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I dunno, Chris! &nbsp;I must learn this Roll20 stuff first, and then look over the old handwritten binder. &nbsp;Not everything I wrote as a young university man 30 years ago may appeal to me now. &nbsp;Things will be reworked. &nbsp;But stick around. I'd also like to see about getting an on-screen spreadsheet to calculate the Melee and Ranged Attack Modifiers. &nbsp;You would go along selecting radio buttons, stick half your DEX score plus 10% per Level of Weapon Skill for Ranged attacks, or either half your DEX or STR score plus 10% per Level of Weapon Skill for Melee attacks: &nbsp;stick that on top, punch buttons for the other modifiers down the list and the percentage chance pops out at the bottom. &nbsp;Excel spreadsheets can be saved as a web-page useable spreadsheet even if someone doesn't have Excel. FYI there is a long-standing typo in the rules. &nbsp;TSR told me in a letter that the speed of an attacker's vehicle and a target's vehicle should be equally bad to throw off aim. &nbsp;So it should have been Attacker in Slow Vehicle &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; -10% Attacker in Fast Vehicle &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; -20% Target in Slow Vehicle &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;-10% Target in Fast Vehicle &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;-20% The modifiers are cumulative (exception: &nbsp;no modifier if vehicles are moving DIRECTLY toward or away from each other), and Fast is anything faster than 150 meters per turn (90 km/h), ground or aerial. I would do the combat Alpha Dawn style with % rolls rather than Zebulon's Guide with the colour-coded Action Table. &nbsp;The system was already fast enough. &nbsp;I once ran player-characters against 8 or 9 pirates, aided by 40 melee-ing Kurabanda in a Volturnus adventure module -- without going nuts.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
(cross-posted) Hey, this Roll20 works much easier than I thought!&nbsp; For STAR FRONTIERS I uploaded and properly gridded several of the generic maps in the original box and saved them, and they look colourful and simply great!&nbsp; The large Port Loren city map I could not transfer, though; it keeps cutting off almost all the right half of it (63 x 42 squares is the original size.) I haven't found images of the original counters, where they provided many half-inch counters in the original box.&nbsp; If I do it will be easy to make classic counters into tokens. If you stick the "Initiative Modifier" (IM) in the Characteristics column of a character sheet, you can easily make an Initiative Ability to roll for Initiative.&nbsp; Every player will have this as a roll, and should also set up what their particular weapon damage-rolls will be as Abilities.&nbsp; For most melee weapons, you can add the Punching Score (PS) to damage.&nbsp; Examples: Initiative&nbsp;&nbsp; /r 1d10+@{IM } Automatic_Rifle_(burst)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /r 5d10 Vibroknife&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /r 1d10+@{PS } Players should wait to choose&nbsp;either a pre-generated character sheet from a set I will provide, or generate their own starting characters from an unfilled template I will also provide. &nbsp;