Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

"Group" option after multi-selecting several objects

Edited 1416225197
When you hand draw something, usually you need to have several polygons, or several free-hand drawings done to create it. When it comes time to move said object, you can group select it by click+drag or multi-select. What I'm suggesting, is the option to 'group' these objects together, effectivly binding drawings to other drawings, images to images, or even drawings to images, and un-group them later. To specify that this isn't redundant with multi-select, (since you can ctrl-click or drag select), say this is a drawn summoning circle you placed in a room. You can drag-select this, but you'll also select the room (since it surrounds it), making it a clunky mechanic. There is the option to do this on several layers but I'd prefer my summoning circle to be on my map layer and so forth. The option to 'group' drawings or objects in general will make them easier to move and can to applied to images too. It makes moving groups or formations of images much easier when they can be selected with a single click rather than ctrl-clicking each one.. which is even more painful if you're trying to move each and every line on a drawing. The only issue I see is the 'front' and 'back' mechanic. Should all objects in the group be normalized to the same z-order, or do they keep their position? If each object in a group keeps their z-order, should 'to front' and 'to back' be allowed for group controls (useful you you want to move them back and forth such as furniture).. or is it only for movement? Adding to this, 'to front' and 'to back' for individual group members? Personally I like preserve z-order and 'to-front' and 'to-back' to keep relative order. Where relative order means that if a tree is on top of grass, if the group is moved 'to front' the group as a whole is moved to the front, but the tree will still overhang the grass, and if there's flowers, the tree overhangs them as well, the flowers remaining above the grass. Of the tree-flower-grass group, it's all moved to the front of say, a rocky dirt path that may be a group of its own dirt,path,pebbles.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
So, I just jumped in and tested. You can use the existing group option (select some objects (lines in this case), right click the selected things, from the popup menu, choose Advanced -> Group ). There is a bit of weirdness with To Front and To Back , that could be cleaned up, but the basic functionality seems to work fine.
Ah, you are right, but it's a bit clunky. A refinement on this would be much appreciated.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I'm definitely in favor of a refinement. =D
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .