Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problem Updating Bars

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
I've been playing around with attaching token bars to character attributes so that the players can modify them on the fly. Sometimes this works great, other times there is no change, even when the change is present on the character sheet. Anyone else having issues with this?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
I had one of my players test it out and it worked just fine for him. So maybe its because I'm the GM. Just dunno. Very weird.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tom , which character sheet are you using? Which attribute is connected to the bars?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss, Witch Hunter 2nd edition. I'm just playing around with the bars now. I have them attached to injury, which modifies wounds; Avoidance, which is a formula so it can't be altered on the fly; and (currently) Avoidmod, which modifies Avoidance (duh!). My plan is to tweak the Avoidance attribute formula so that it incorporates bar 3 (currently Avoidmod) in its equation. This way, you can set your avoidance modifier in your character sheet (talents, abilities, flaws), but use bar 3 to modify it on the fly (stances, combat maneuvers, etc). That's been a pain in the past because you'd have to remember to reset it on your turn each round. But if the API can do that, why not?! Thanks for your hard work, Aaron. I'll be back with more questions tomorrow once I have a chance to start playing with this. Be warned, I've never monkeyed with APIs before. Be gentle. ;)

Edited 1416489399
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which of these bars (attributes) is not changing properly?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss, For me? The avoidance bar (bar 1) is not updating when bar 2 (avoidance modifier ) is updated, even though that's part of its calculation formula. It updates on the character sheet, but not in the bars.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tom , I am guessing this is a character sheet problem rather than a Roll20 problem but please send me a join link so I can see what you are doing and try to replicate it.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss, Well I'm going to be changing things up in a bit. If the problem persists though, I'll definitely take you up on that. Thanks!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, let me know if you need further assistance.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Alright. Here's a screenshot as to what I'm talking about: The Yellow Circle (Bar 1, oddly enough) represents the Avoidance attribute (show on the character sheet to the right). The Green Circle (Bar 2, still odd) represents the Action attribute (also shown right). As you can see, the character sheet has updated just fine (adding +1 through bar2 updates the Action AND Avoidance attributes on the character sheet), but bar 1 does not update (it's still 3, the old unmodified attribute value). And why the hell is bar 3 the first circle in the chain? Can anyone tell me that? Very annoying, but irrelevant to this problem (maybe). I'll send you an invite if you still want one Gauss.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please send me a join link.

Edited 1416526809
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, in your character sheet you have a field called "avoidance" (little "a"). In some of your character sheets Attribute tabs you have a field called "Avoidance" (big "A"). At least one of your tokens was set to "Avoidance" rather than "avoidance". I created a brand new character and manually set it's character sheet to the same values as the "Alpha Template". It does not have a large number of the attributes your other characters have. My guess is that those are manually input attributes (all the attributes with a capitalized name) and you may want to make sure that they are not duplicating fields in the character sheet with the same name. Having a user created attribute with the same name as a field is probably going to cause a conflict. I was able to replicate the problem you saw. After selecting the token and changing the green bubble's value the yellow bubble did not update. It updated correctly the second time I tried to update it. This only occurs after selecting the token. The reason your players probably don't notice is that they probably have the tokens selected most of the time. If you could give more detail as to the method you are using to have the yellow bubble update based on the green bubble we may be able to figure out why there is a delay here.