Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting Style Guide

Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hello everybody, I've put together a Dynamic Lighting Style Guide . It gives specific examples of how to set up system agnostic lighting as well as a few system specific guides. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to add any other system specific information you think would be useful to the community.
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great guide! Light sources and reflections can be visible for a long distance, even though they don't really illuminate anything else for the distant viewer. Do you have any advice for how best to represent enemies that carry torches or have eyes that reflect the light from the PCs' torches? <a href="http://www.why.do/why-do-animals-eyes-shine-in-the" rel="nofollow">http://www.why.do/why-do-animals-eyes-shine-in-the</a>... I tried setting tokens to cast light in a radius of 0', but it wasn't very immersive.

Edited 1416714788
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Do you have any advice for how best to represent enemies that carry torches or have eyes that reflect the light from the PCs' torches? Eyes: Use a circular token (circle, eye, etc) change it to Is Drawing a reduce the size, set Emits light -1, 0, All players see light. Copy and paste next to that token to create a pair of eyes or less/more depending on the monster. Group them and resize as needed. Glowing eyes. Set aura to .1 with a color(red) and toggle players can see aura. Now you have red eyes.

Edited 1416730135
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's brilliant, Vince! I never thought to set negative numbers on "emits light". By setting the value to exactly negative 1 grid size, you get a great image. (My grid scale is 1 unit = 7 feet, so I had to set Emits Light to -7. I tested it again at grid size of 5, with -5 light emission. Works perfectly)

Edited 1416759987
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Cool. I never thought of making "eyes" in the dark until you brought it up. Thanks. I'll have to add "monster eyes" to my roll20 bestiary now...

Edited 1418472098
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Steve, Darkvision in 5e is dim vision. Roll20 only allows for dim vision to slowly dim as it gets further away. Are there any plans to allow for a flat layer of dim vision for 5e?

Edited 1418479571
Wes
Sheet Author
Mark, This is accomplished by setting the dims at value to 0, on the character with dark vision. The light fields would be set to: 60 feet, 0 feet, 360°. It creates a dim light source out to 60 feet.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Mark, I added the Dim Light Starts at 0 to the style guide. Thanks for pointing out it was missing.
Wes said: Mark, This is accomplished by setting the dims at value to 0, on the character with dark vision. The light fields would be set to: 60 feet, 0 feet, 360°. It creates a dim light source out to 60 feet. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is the "dim light becomes bright light" mechanic. Theoretically, if someone with 60' darkvision is seeing in the dim light radius of another light, the area where they "cross" should become bright light. Right now they just merge into one dim area. Not a huge deal, things are still visible and you can figure it out using auras or other guides (and frankly it rarely matters) but it would be nice there were a "2 dims make a bright" option.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
2 dims make a bright sounds like a great suggestion topic for the suggestions forum!