Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice rolls without totaling?

Hi, guys-- I'm looking to use Roll20 to run a game for some friends using the OVA system, which has an unusual dice roll style. It basically uses d6 dice pools, but rather than total up the dice, it takes either: The highest die, or The highest sum of any matching dice (e.g. in a roll of 1, 3, 3, 4, 3, 5, the value would be 3+3+3=9.) I'm not looking for Roll20 to handle that for me fully as I think the sorting option on rolls will make it pretty easy to do so manually without much trouble, but I was wondering if there was any way to tell Roll20 to not total up the dice results when it makes a roll, since the total value of all the rolled d6s doesn't matter in OVA. It's a bit of clutter that isn't necessary to this particular system, but I couldn't find a way to tell Roll20 to avoid it. If not, no biggie--it'll work fine and I'm sure we can remember to ignore the total. ^_^

Edited 1417153299
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
[[1d6]],[[1d6]],[[1d6]] will give you seperate rolls. Someone with mad dice/macro skills might be able to suggest a macro that handles your requirements as well.
Yeah...that would work. The downside is that if I'm correct you'd have to do the number of dice pretty manually, right? As in, you have to type the [[1d6]] over and over, rather than some means of doing, say, 8d6 or ?{number of dice}d6 ? Not sure that's a good idea for rolls that might vary quite a bit through modifiers that can add or subtract dice from the pool. That might work for standard rolls, though,..if characters will almost always be using the same number of dice for a certain roll, I could see setting it up that way.

Edited 1417153839
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You can create a macro for each number of d6's so you wouldn't have to type it in each time. Just click on 6d6 macro if you have a 6d6 pool. Not sure how big your pools get...
Hm, that's an idea...thanks. :-)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
As others have suggested, just doing the individual inline dice as a macro would work the best for that probably. You could even make a macro for the lowest amount of dice to be rolled up to the largest amount. You could just cut and paste as you go down the list making the macro's. Another option since you are a mentor is to see if there is an API script made to do what you want or ask if someone could write one for you if you don't have the knowledge on how to do it.
Umbra
Sheet Author
For the first one, ?{Number of dice|0}d6k1 should do the trick. It does require that you keep track of the dice pools yourself, though. The second one would probably require some fancy scripting to do.

Edited 1417284529
Honestly, when it comes to multiple die rolls of an unknown amount I usually whip up a macro that rolls a whole bunch in a grid format and just take the first <however many you need> that were rolled and ignore the rest. I do this a lot for loot Item Identification and such where you always need to roll the same thing a few times in quick succession. ex: (I always have fluff text to start with so the grid is lined up well) Batch Roll: [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]] ♦ [[1d6]]

Edited 1417288157
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
That's a cool trick. Thanks Mark. Might use that when rolling up characters in game. 4d6 columns to pick ability scores...

Edited 1417302481
if you're using 4d6 drop lowest method you'd want /me rolls his fate... 4d6 drop 1... Str:[[4d6d1]] ♦ Dex:[[4d6d1]] ♦ Con:[[4d6d1]] Wis:[[4d6d1]] ♦ Int:[[4d6d1]] ♦ Chr:[[4d6d1]]