Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Anyone tried a Wacom (or similar) tablet with Roll20?

Quick question... title says it all really. I want to know about responsiveness and personal experience if anyone has used a Wacom tablet (digital drawing tablet device, not an ipad/android touch tablet) or similar device. I'm not looking to have pressure sensitivity or anything, just a little better freehand drawing for "on the fly" maps or pickup games where I haven't prepped much ahead of time. Thanks for your input!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Your mileage may very, but I grab my pen (intros 3) and draw on the our maps in game often. Much easier than a mouse. Works well for me.
Cool, thanks Vince. I've honestly never used mine as a mouse. I strictly use it for Photoshop and such, and I've just recently grown accustomed to that. I guess I should just try it and see what happens! I'm still interested in other people's experiences if you care to share...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I actually keep my keyboard on top of my tablet(9x12) and I have my pen handy. If I need to draw on the map, my keyboard gets moved aside and I'm in "draw mode". To me, that feels more old school. Like drawing a map on a piece of paper on the table or a battle mat with dry erase pens. Good stuff.
Vince said: I actually keep my keyboard on top of my tablet(9x12) and I have my pen handy. If I need to draw on the map, my keyboard gets moved aside and I'm in "draw mode". To me, that feels more old school. Like drawing a map on a piece of paper on the table or a battle mat with dry erase pens. Good stuff. Kinda what I was looking for, just for those times when you don't have a specific map prepped and don't just happen to have the perfect "premade"/generic map on hand. I did try it out and it's ok. It will take some getting used to definitely!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
It's not like using a graphics editor but it kills using a mouse to draw.
While it was not really the same thing, as part of an experiment done by my local gameshop about buying in digital whiteboards I tried out Roll20 on one and found that it was quite compatiable - as part of testing it out I used its build-in draw function(the digital write pen) and made a series of quick maps, since it mimics a mouse there was no real issues on that front. A lot of kick-ass maps where made however.
Ferlond said: While it was not really the same thing, as part of an experiment done by my local gameshop about buying in digital whiteboards I tried out Roll20 on one and found that it was quite compatiable - as part of testing it out I used its build-in draw function(the digital write pen) and made a series of quick maps, since it mimics a mouse there was no real issues on that front. A lot of kick-ass maps where made however. Sounds awesome... didn't even know there were such things as digital white boards, but they sound like another piece of tech that I will eventually just "HAVE to have" ;)