Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Accessing Character Sheet Attributes in the Attributes & Abilities Tab?

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Is there a good way to do this? I'm having a devil of a time with conflicting attributes. My players use the character sheets for their characters but I build my NPCs and monsters in the Attributes/Abilities section of the character journal. Problem is, the attributes from one conflict or override the other. So is there a way for me to call up an attribute from my character sheet in the attributes & abilities tab? Is there a way to "turn off" the character sheet for certain character journals? Help!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Not sure if I understand what you are asking Tom. Are you manually adding attributes in the Attributes & Abilities tab while using the same sheet? Attributes will be created/added to the Attributes & Abilities tab as they are populated/updated from within the character sheet or you can manually create them. However, if you create an Attribute that is the same name as one on the sheet and the sheet's attribute gets populated/updated the data for that attribute will change as well. You would have to create uniquely named attributes to avoid conflict. As far as I know, you cannot selectively turn off the character sheet. I think there is a suggestion in the forums for allowing multiple sheets in a campaign. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1239632/multiple-character-sheet-layouts#post-1380876" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1239632/multiple-character-sheet-layouts#post-1380876</a> Goodluck.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Vince, Yes, you have the right of it. What I'm looking for is a solution that doesn't require me to create a secondary (tertiary) "character sheet" for adversaries in minions. Which right now is looking like my only option. Because it the different aspects of the character journal don't appear to communicate with each other. So if my character sheet has a stat, say "Strength," that has a value, and I open the A&A tab and add an Attribute called "Strength", rather than drawing the value from the existing Strength attribute, it creates a conflict. Which is a PITA. Creating unique attributes isn't practical because it would just balloon our macro catalog with redundancy. So it looks like my best solution is to create more specialized variants of the character sheet ala DnD to handle alternative statblocks. Not really the fastest or most intuitive way to handle things, but its looking like the best solution available at this time. Hmmm...I think I'll bring this up in the suggestions folder. If anyone knows something I'm missing, please post.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
or..., just use the character sheet for your npc's as well. I know that can be a PITA depending on the sheet you are using, but at least the attributes are created via the sheet and your macro's can be written to handle both characters and NPC's.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Eh. That will work for some of them, but like AD&D the game we play uses a simplified statblock with certain shortcuts that aren't measured in PCs. So it would would mean an extra page for the character sheet anyway AND make the existing published monsters and adversaries twice as hard to build in R20. It makes more sense to build in extra statblock "sheets" ala the 5th edition character sheet. That's still a pita when really all I need are maybe 10-12 attributes in the character journal to do the same thing, but at least it's only a PITA once, not every time I build something in R20. It just adds another layer of complexity with something that was MEANT to make all our lives easier. :P
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The PF sheet has an NPC tab/section that comes in handy. It has some attributes that are shared with the rest of the sheet, but it also has NPC-specific attributes. It also has a layout similar to the standard statblock template. I would like a "simpler" statblock-style sheet for npc/monster separate from the character sheet myself. The PF sheet in particular is HUGE but as a DM I only really access the NPC section 90% of the time.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll check it out for sure. I'd considered doing something like that already for my Witch Hunter sheet, but now it's looking more like a necessity. Right now, I'm planning on a direct translation of the statblock. Should be easy enough to do with a table. But I'm not opposed to taking a more creative approach. Minions will be trickier, but it'll get done. Our game is going on hiatus until after the holidays, so hopefully I can sneak in some time to build the new additions before we pick back up.