Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Eschew Time Zones go to GMT for all

<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1412845/change-t" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1412845/change-t</a>... people are constantly confused see my post in suggestions.

Edited 1418267369
Um.. no? I'd suggest that it display the host's game time as well as the person's local time side-by-side though.

Edited 1420636836
the problem is that people see the time corrected for them, and don't realise that the player/GM could be in a different time zone. They then send personal messages to that person with the local times stated, and no info on time zone. so the time is meaningless. The PERFECT solution ,(as in almost certainly unobtainable), would be to change all personal messages to local times too. Failing that displaying everything in UTC/GMT is the next best option. Thinking about it, another option is adding the time zone to the user profiles, then at least you would be able to find out if there is a time difference. (who knows it may cut down on the requests for me to run campaigns at 2am in the morning local time!)
I am in Philadelphia on the East coast of the U.S. I have players across the U.S. & Canada, one in Finland, one in Australia, it seems to me that my fellow countrymen just can't handle Time Zones like the metric system they just get a blank look. Of course they also misinterpret the game being played, the fact that we use Skype...
Wouldn't it solve everyone's problem if there was a forum syntax that let you input a time and date, and it corrected it according to someone's timezone and DST settings?
In theory the site does this now, sometimes the calculations are a bit dodgy, I always spell it out 11JAN15 @ 19:00 EST(GMT-5) AD&D2E using Skype Audio, English Language... Then I get a message, I want to play 5E, on Tuesday afternoon text only in Urdu, would that be OK. I have removed anything that could smash my monitor from my desk space for when I receive these...
Sadly, it would not surprise me if someone said those exact words to you.