Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issue with tokens and dynamic lighting

Edited 1418532256
Hello there, I'm experimenting dynamic lighting for the first time. I will GM an overnight chasing scene, and I thought it was cool to use dynamic lighting to add the effect of the car's light's beams on the road. I've downloaded from the market few car tokens (which are pretty cool), but the only problem is that the actual front of the cars is not in line with the effective token orientation, as a result the light emission springs from the one side of the car rather than from the front, spoiling the effect I wanted to get. Is there a way to adjust the orientation of the light emission? Otherwise can I edit the image of the token? For example if I could download on my PC the actual file of token's image, I'd be able to spin it of 90 degrees, and then upload it again, easily fixing the problem. At the worst if someone can indicate for me a source where to get some car tokens with the front pointing up I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Some market packs have a download link (whether it's available is up to the artist); check the page for the token pack or the individual token.
Yep, I've found some site already. Thanks for the tip!
There's also the option to flip the tokens in the interface. Just right click on the token, chose "advanced", and you can "flip horizontal" or "flip vertical." That seems to work for many people with these issues, though not all depending on how the token is laid out.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sarah A. said: There's also the option to flip the tokens in the interface. Just right click on the token, chose "advanced", and you can "flip horizontal" or "flip vertical." That seems to work for many people with these issues, though not all depending on how the token is laid out. Unfortunately, if you need to rotate the token 90 degrees, horizontal/vertical flipping won't exactly help.
Gauss
Forum Champion
The best way to handle an image that can have multiple orientations while using limited lighting (such as a light cone) is to use a Rollable Table Token. Create a Rollable Table with both the normal and the 90degree rotated image in it. Then turn that into a token (don't forget to remove "Is Drawing"). Between the two images and flip horizontal/vertical you will be able to get any orientation you want.
Thanks for all the tips. For the time being I'm doing fine downloading tokens from sites (of which I didn't know of the existence), and eventually turning the image to the desired direction before uploading it on the tabletop. Bit by bit I'll definitely explore all the ins and outs of Roll20 in the near future!