Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Carrying damage (and health) rolls to the tokens

Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I'd like to see a way where, if you take a die roll result from the chat and drag and drop it into the token, it will count as damage to the health bar.  Of course, some rolls are for spells or medical healing that bring the health stat up again.  Maybe you can drag and drop while pressing H(eal) or something.  Or how about dragging and dropping the die result from each 3D die (if no modifier)?
not to be rude or anything, but this is one of the uses of the API. If i'm not wrong, there is even a script posted somewhere to do just as you are asking.
I think this is outside the scope of the basic tools.  After all, the concept of "damage" is not system agnostic.  For example, in my Mutants and Masterminds campaign, characters don't have hit points and you don't roll damage...players have toughness and you roll a toughness save, and depending on how bad you fail you get stacking penalties to your next save until you fail by enough to get knocked unconscious.  How would I drag and drop that to my tokens?  Or what about WoD's health boxes?  How many points is a slash worth? This is definitely something you could do with the API though.  Have players make ability macros that have a key word for the API to use.  The hard part is determining which token is being attacked...you could set up a "targeting" token that players put on their target before they roll hit and damage.  The API then takes the AC attribute of that token to see if you hit, and if so, subtracts the damage.  You would have separate macros for causing the API to heal and damage. A little harder to implement but I don't think they'll implement a feature that is unique to hit point based systems like DnD/Pathfinder, but I could be wrong.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Okay, I'll look at the API but I'm only days old with Roll20 in general!  I don't have recent coding experience (when I studied, the first-year students used something phased out called PUNCH-CARDS) but if there are prepared libraries of code I'll look at those. It's not too much trouble to figure out damage and manually type a negative number in the token bar.
Actually, drag and drop onto tokens for damage sounds like a great idea. We can already drag and drop rolls onto the turn order tracker to adjust our initiative. Drag and drop rolls onto tokens to deal damage shouldn't be too much of a stretch and would be a non-API way to help the DM run faster games.
I've thought about doing this, but honestly I'm not sure you really gain much in terms of speed. You'd have to have the token selected already, then drag and drop the roll result onto the bubble you wanted it to modify. Then it would open up the textbox witht he number filled in already, and put your cursor at the beginning of the text box so you could hit Enter for "set" or type "+, Enter" or "-, Enter" to add/subtract the value.  So, I'm not sure how much that would really gain you versus just clicking on the bubble and then typing "34" or "+34" and hitting Return. In fact it might be slower since you'd have to do "fine tracking" with the mouse twice (once to select the roll result, once to drag it on the bubble) versus just once with the click and enter manually method, and typically using the mouse is the slowest part of any interaction...
Not drop into the bubble. Drop onto the token itself. Although that brings up the problem of which bar to adjust... ah well.