Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Duplicate cards in hand share metadata (e.g. bar values)

Edited 1419052848
My campaign uses an inventory system that utilizes the deck feature to its fullest. With the decks, players have a full physical inventory that I, as the DM, can use to track their items quite easily. While the ability to use cards as tokens with persistent bar values has been godsend, I've noticed a problem. I use my decks to give out duplicate cards to people, such as arrows for ammunition. If I modify the bar_1 value of one arrow and have them pick it up, that value is suddenly copied to all the arrows in the player's hand. I'll post an image for clarification. In the image above, I have 3 arrows in my deck, and I'm about to "Take Card" on the one that is on the field. The one on the field has a green bar value of "50", while the ones in my deck have undefined values. As you can see, after I picked up the card, the value translated to all arrows in my deck. This is undesirable. Addressing this issue would allow me SO many possibilities (ex: spell scrolls labeled with different spells, keeping track of the liquid left in a waterskin, contents of potions or vials, item hp or durability, etc). Thank you for your time.

Edited 1419055218
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
John, just to clarify, this arrow card is one card that's been drawn from an infinite deck? So, all three arrows are actually the same card?

Edited 1419055436
That is correct.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
John, I don't see the value of having identical copies of the same card and needing them to have separate unique counts to them. If you have arrows, you could list it as a counter on one arrow card to represent a quiver of arrows. Or, have identical cards without a counter represent each individual arrow. Why would you need both? If you have a health potion, have a unique card (even if it's using the same image) for that style of potion compared to another kind of potion as needed.

Edited 1419073687
I do, and I have been making many unique cards. Hundreds actually, and as the game goes on I'm faced with more unique items I have to account for between sessions. This would save me from having to do that much work (making a new card for every spell scroll in the game comes to mind, or perhaps different qualities/enchantments of weapons and armor). On your end, a toggle would be nice, such as the ones already available. Right under "[ ] cards in deck are infinite?" you could have "[ ] duplicate cards are unique?" come up if the infinite box is checked. And as far as arrow counters, this was really just an example (although you DID give a great idea to save space, as I never thought of that use of the bar data, ironically). Other possibilities include things like keeping track of armor and weapon hp (durability and damage) or many other situations where a simple numerical/text metadata would be useful - and not just for keeping track of amounts of items. Everything works perfectly as is, until someone in the party decides to grab a spare set of leather armor, which will then duplicate the metadata (e.g., "Enchanted +1") of the existing armor as soon as it enters his hand. What I actually had in mind for things like arrows was labeling some of them as "fire" or "radiant" to specify their damages. I probably should have used such an example in the OP. I know this is all pretty much icing on the cake, as one could easily keep track of these things on your standard inventory sheet (and that's what we're currently doing). However, if what I described in the OP is an intended functionality, I will simply re-create this issue under suggestions, or wait for some more advanced deck API to be released so I can script it myself (because frankly, my way is damn pretty and everyone loves it so far, and I'd love to be able to expand upon it in this way). Thank you for your insight thus far. P.S.: I am going to test in the morning to see if this issue also persists across different players' hands.
Steve K. said: John, I don't see the value of having identical copies of the same card and needing them to have separate unique counts to them. If you have arrows, you could list it as a counter on one arrow card to represent a quiver of arrows. Or, have identical cards without a counter represent each individual arrow. Why would you need both? If you have a health potion, have a unique card (even if it's using the same image) for that style of potion compared to another kind of potion as needed. Think about counters in Magic: the Gathering, like spore counters. If I recall correctly, you could have three identical cards (Llanowar Elf for example) and each one might have a different number of spore counters on them, giving them different bonuses.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
John, the counter only updates that player's hand when it enters. Two players could have different counters on an identical card they've picked up. It's just not set up to have multiple identical cards with separate counters in the same hand. I don't see this as a bug but as you said more of a feature request. I'm going to close this thread and urge you to open a request in the Suggestions and Ideas forum.