Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Quick questions about calculations and attributes

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok, I think I've been chasing my tail a bit the last couple of weeks when it comes to making my standard monster templates work with my character sheets. When I step back and look at it, there are really only four attributes where these designs conflict. So rather than create a bunch of different "character sheets" to handle different classes of adversaries, I'm thinking maybe I just need to focus on fixing these conflicts within my existing framework. in that respect, a few questions: 1) can you create a auto-calculating field that applies the highest of two values? I know you can do it for dice rolls, but I can't find anything about doing it with calculations. 2) is it possible to reference the same input field multiple places in a character sheet without creating an attribute conflict? Thanks!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I believe the answer to 1) is no. Here's what the wiki states: Note that you can only include attributes from the current Character. You also can't include macros, abilities, or rolls...just basic math such as @{Intelligence}/2+@{Level} . You also have access to the floor, round, and ceil functions, such as floor(@{Intelligence}/2) The only way I can think of picking one of two values would be using a roll-type mechanism with kh1, but since rolls aren't allowed, then...it'll take someone smarter than me to find a solution. Unless there's a way to use a standard mathematical formula to derive the result... As for 2...I believe the official answer is "no", however, I've not had any problems with doing that outside of a repeating section. Doing that with a repeating field seems to cause all kinds of problems. Also, I've had a problem with that when working with an NPC sheet and a PC Sheet, but I think that was mainly due to the repeating fields thing. SO, my answer would be yes, but there are risks and I'd recommend making frequent "back-ups" of any character data for that field as it changes, just in case something goes horribly awry. I hope this helps.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
It is possible to do things like find the max of a series of attributes and use the hioghest one but it can only be done mathematically at present...see this excellent summary from Brian - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/882997/#post-944536" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/882997/#post-944536</a>
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, option 1 seems less practical the longer I consider it. It just won't work the way it needs to. So that leaves me looking at creating a "GM section," where I can quickly dial up or down the stats in question without having to mess with the rest of the sheet. No repeating fields here. So for a working example of what I'm hoping to do, I have an attribute called Avoidance that is equal to ((Attribute+Attribute)/2)+modifier. I already have the modifier attribute input in one section of the sheet. I'd like to put it in a second spot, where the two update one another. But just as easily, I'll add a second attribute, "modifier-GM" maybe, and just add it to the equation. But I'd rather do the former because it means less cross checking for errors. Thoughts?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
If it were me, I'd just go ahead and put the one field in both places for the reasons stated. As long as it's not in a repeating section, I've not had any problems so far, and my warning was just in case anyway. :) But that's just me...I like to live on the edge. LOL
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can use the same attribute in multiple inputs. If you check out the Dresden Files RPG sheet, it has several Aspect inputs on the first tab, a worksheet to help the player create the character. It has the same Aspects on the second tab, the actual character sheet. If you fill out the worksheet, the Aspects will already be filled in on the character sheet (and vice versa).
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Brian. Sounds like I may only have to add 2 attribute modifiers then. Though I'm still wondering if there would be value in creating a set of specific set of modifier-GM attributes to nest in this GM section. I'm not sure what that would get me outside of extra code, however.