Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Legal] Enormous script in works, involves 5e treasure hoard rolls

Edited 1419463508
Hello everyone. I've been spending the last week or so punching out a huge script that covers the tables on p134-135, p137-139 and p144-149 in the DMG. You punch in a command followed by the challenge level of the horde, and it literally does ALL the work for you and spits it out in chat (assuming you want the randomness that the tables provide). I want to make sure I'm not breaking any copyright laws or whatnot if I share it with everyone. Here's what it DOES have: - Lists of all the magic items and what rolls generate them. - Lists and names and worth of all the gemstones and art found in hordes and what rolls generate them - Algorithms for calculating amount of currency, magic items, gems and art found in said horde - Lists of every spell in 5e - Lists of all types of weapons (with damage types [i.e. slashing]) and armor (with types [I.e. light, medium, heavy]) in 5e Here's what it DOES NOT have: - Descriptions or usage notes for magic items. - Descriptions of gemstones. - Spell descriptions or usage. - Weapon and armor worth, AC, other notes about usage or damage values. Any insight would be appreciated. If I don't get any type of official response in the next few days, I'll be submitting an early version. Thank you.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I am not a lawyer, and if you're actually concerned about legal action, you should consult one. That said, what you're describing doesn't seem to include much information beyond what's available for 4e without a DDI subscription, so you're probably in the clear. The next major update to Roll20 is also slated to include a Compendium which will have as much data as Roll20 can legally get their hands on, which may or may not include the 5e info you're using to run the script. If the Roll20 Compendium does end up including the same data, I can't imagine the script being a problem. The Update of Holding is scheduled for Q1 2015.
Why not just use the book?
Saxon said: Why not just use the book? Kind of a moot statement in the API forum. A major purpose of API is to make the game quicker and easier. This script does use the book exactly how it's spelled out, choosing to opt for random results rather than DM choice when the option is given. It's just a matter of turning 10 minutes of rolls, calculations and page turning into about 3 seconds.
I really like the concept! Similar tools exist online and WotC does not do anything about them. So legally, I would think you're fine, but I don't know that.
I'm done with the first tier of challenge levels and I'll be releasing it today for you all to check out.
You know, you could always publish your script with a big blank section labelled "PASTE TABLES HERE WITH THE FOLLOWING SYNTAX". Then if, you know, someone were to anonymously dump the tables with the right syntax into an anonymous Pastebin, your script would be just fine, legally. And if you happened to notice what that person had created and posted a link to it, that's still not necessarily on you.

Edited 1420997174
John C. said: Hello everyone. I've been spending the last week or so punching out a huge script that covers the tables on p134-135, p137-139 and p144-149 in the DMG. You punch in a command followed by the challenge level of the horde, and it literally does ALL the work for you and spits it out in chat (assuming you want the randomness that the tables provide). I want to make sure I'm not breaking any copyright laws or whatnot if I share it with everyone. Here's what it DOES have: - Lists of all the magic items and what rolls generate them. - Lists and names and worth of all the gemstones and art found in hordes and what rolls generate them - Algorithms for calculating amount of currency, magic items, gems and art found in said horde - Lists of every spell in 5e - Lists of all types of weapons (with damage types [i.e. slashing]) and armor (with types [I.e. light, medium, heavy]) in 5e Here's what it DOES NOT have: - Descriptions or usage notes for magic items. - Descriptions of gemstones. - Spell descriptions or usage. - Weapon and armor worth, AC, other notes about usage or damage values. Any insight would be appreciated. If I don't get any type of official response in the next few days, I'll be submitting an early version. Thank you. I'm actually specialized in copyright and intellectual property. Wizards of the Coast does not publish their work, it is a work by the definition of the European Court of Justice, as an open source or by a free usage license. Pathfinder core work is open source, i believe, so sharing their work is allowed (but don't quote me on that, i did not look up their way of conducting business) . So by sharing with others it is illegal due to making it available to the public. The fact that you do not profit from it does not matter. pretty sure the same arguments are holding up in the U.s.