Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Forum] Toggle show/hide script preview in preferences

Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Current Behavior: Scripts post in forums with a 'hide preview' link to collapse the code. Requested Change: Be able to set a preference to toggle whether code previews are shown or hidden by default. Alternate Solution: Change to code previews are hidden by default. Reason for Request: Make forums a bit more readable.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh yes. I just LOVE opening a Script-based thread and it opens up right in the middle of someones code instead of at the bottom of the thread. BTW, how come some scripts have the "hide preview" while other do not?
I think it depends on how they add the script to the post. If you post the link for github I think it gives you a preview that you can hide, but some people actually use a code block and paste in the actual code as part of the post instead of it being linked to elsewhere.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roger is correct. The forum is capable of displaying a preview of certain urls. These include GitHub gists and Wikipedia articles, and I believe YouTube videos as well, perhaps others. If you post an appropriate link, a preview of the linked page will be displayed. For a gist, that's all of the code in the gist. For a Wikipedia article, that's the introductory section. (Or the section you link to, if you link to a specific section on the page.) Some API script writers opt to simply cost the code directly to the forum instead of hosting it on GitHub, which means a code block instead of a preview. Personally, I've had caching issues with gists posted to the forum, and occasionally have issues with the entire preview feature, so I often prefer having the code blocks directly. For one thing, if the connection is slow, the preview doesn't appear until after you've started reading, and then the posts jump down the page when the automatically-expanded preview shows up. Kitty's suggestion is to have a profile option to automatically show or hide these previews.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .